Thread: 383 lt1

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

383 lt1

So finally after a year and a couple of months my spare LT1 is at the machine shop.
    I have questions about parts I am going to need for this engine combo. The builder is taking care of the bottom end parts like crank rods pistons and oil pump and my father and I are going to be putting the top end together. It is going to be a 383 with the new N/A trickflow heads. the heads have stock size combustion chambers but bigger valves and flow better. I don't know what cam is going in it yet. I figured I would call trickflow and talk to them about what cam to go with these heads. I don't plan on turning any more than 6500 rpms with this motor. I don't do tack stuff and it is going in front of a Monster A4 trans already in the car good to 500 flywheel hp. I have long tubes with no cats, a 52mm TB, CAI, cat back and egr gone.

My question is what size fuel injectors will I need to support this motor and would they be plug and play. I know the pcm will need a tune but I have heard that sometimes guys have to use an injector that requires a differant plug. the car is a 97 camaro z-28.

I also planned on replacing Opti, water pump, front O2's, having a mail order tune to get it running, sensors like temp, tps, maps, reusing the stock MAF, new oil pressure switch, new coil, plugs wires, oil low level switch, knock sensor, and replacing the radiator.

What am I forgetting?

The car has 94K on it so should I plan on changing the fuel pump as well?

Do I need to change the fuel pressure regulator or not?

Will the stock fuel rails be ok?

Is there anything else besides a stall that I will need? I will figure the stall out when I figure the cam out.

Also any input on the cam? so I know what to expect from trickflow?

Thanks guys for the help in advance

red
    95 Z28

As far as the fuel system goes, the factory rails and regulator should be fine. Personally I would go get a racetronix kit with harness just to be safe on fuel. That is a walbro in tank pump (no tank or fuel line modifications necessary), and a harness to run that is better than the factory setup. It wont be too much, like 250$ or so IIRC... As for injectors, 42s might be a bit overkill, but would work nicely and leave a bit of room for more power. They wouldnt be maxed out.

As for the cam... know your cylinder head specs, and then talk to people about cams. You can talk to trick flow themselves, or others in the LT1 community that work on LT1 heads. Also have in mind what your goals are with the car, what you want to do with it, and if you want it to have any manners on the street.

Quick Silver Metalic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

LT4 Hot cam is a good all around cam. I used one back in the day with Nitrous and then a turbo. It was good with them all.

Opti's don't like to go much over 6K. You might want to look into the Dyna Spark opti or the MSD Opti.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

am i the only one that laughed at the monster A4 comment that can handle 500 at the fly .a 383 stroker with killer heads and cam and so forth should be making more then 500 at the fly.

id keep that in mind later down the road man.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I'm not trying to put more than 500 at the fly. It is a budget build. Cast crank and a decent set of heads.
    I called TF and they sent me to Advanced Induction, who then gave me a quote for 4k for a reworked set of TF heads, cam rockers and injectors. That kit looks to blow my 500flywheel hp out of the water.
    NO ONE GETS IT!!! I don't want to make 600hp I had to change the crank because the stock crank was F'd and if your going to buy a crank, a stock stroke crank cost the same as a stroker crank so why not. All you have to do is clearance the rod bolts and block a little. So all I need now is a decent set of NA heads and now trick flow makes them. For 1500 bucks I get a complete set of heads that flow well and maintain the CR ratio but I also need a cam and everyone of these companies, Including the one that makes the damn head thinks I am trying to make 500rwhp when I keep telling them I want 400rwhp. I am guessing that 400 at the rear wheels through an auto should not be any more than 460 to 480hp at the flywheel. Is this right?
    I think I will call trick flow again. This is insane.
    Anybody have some real world numbers on what a Lloyd stage 2 or 3 will make on a 383?

Yeah, around 500 or so hp at the wheels. You are building a stroker, if you don't get a good set of heads and cam then what is the point of the stroker? You can make 400rwhp with a stock block, ported stock heads, cam and injectors. Sorry to say, but nobody builds a 383 just to make 400rwhp.

You also need to keep in mind that when you get your cam figured out you are going to have to get a stall converter and rear gears. A good converter can run $800+. A guy in my car club has a 95 Camaro with a 383 in it. He had the LE3 package and was making a little over 500 at the wheels. He changed over to AFR's and a different cam and now is making 630 to the wheels.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Then just get a Loyd Elliot stage 1 kit with the biggest the custom cam close to the CC502 cam and you would be fine.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

loyd e-mailed me back and is the first person to answer my question and actually ask more questions to get me what I am looking for. Great guy. anyway he has worked with the 21 deg TF head and has some cam options for me but I just have to figure out the static compression of the motor for him and give him the valve spring rates so he can figure out seat open pressure and a couple of odds and ends.

Your right Bluebird most people don't build them for that but why would I not stroke it if I have the chance. Eventually I will build the motor up more but I don't have the funds to do anymore than this right now until I get the rest of the car to a point wear it can handle what I am already doing. With the right heads and a mild cam I should be able to get what I need now and down the road I can upgrade the cam and valve train and make more power. sounds like a waist but when I say money is tight it has always been tight and won't change unless I win the Lotto. I have to do things very slowly and right now I have to do this motor because the stocker has a rod knock and is loosing oil pressure so it needs to be done now before the rear. This isn't my DD but I know if it comes off the road it will stay off the road unless I tackle what is wrong at that time. To be honest even after the motor is done it will take me 6 months or more to come up with funds for a new opti, water pump, radiator, and stall. I have way to many hobbies. LOL my biggest money pit is boating fishing and diving but I can't remain sane with out it.

Thread Information