This is a discussion on 383 within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; how hard is it to convert a LT1 to a 383 stroker? just curious??...

white
    1997 Z28

Question 383

how hard is it to convert a LT1 to a 383 stroker? just curious??

Ray Charles blue

Crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, seals, tuning.......time.

white
    1997 Z28

rough estimate on how much that would cost?? including labor?? im thinking i might try to go this route since i may have to replace the pistons as well as the valves... any guesses would be appreciated.. well educated guesses... please... thanks

Ray Charles blue

Not sure exactly. You could do a cheap rebuild or a top dollar one. My guess is that at best you would have 3.5-4k in it having someone else do it. However, if you have an engine that is worn or tired look in to just doing a swap with a junk-yard LT1. You can pick one up on the cheap side my friend, probably 1k or so.

Last 383 kit I saw was around $1,800 just for the rotating assembly. When you start working valves and what not you are going to have a lot of other costs involved. The heads probably need new guides, valve seats, and will need the heads completely inspected.

If it was me and my money I would have the bottem end checked out. If the the bottom end is in good working condition I would go another way. An LT4 style top-end kit would be my route. I priced out a set of LT1 heads with larger valves, ported and polished to match the intake, new valves, springs, locs, retainers, and fully asspembled for about $1,000. I can give you the information. Also, the heads are BRAND NEW, not reworked old ones. The other thing is they will port/polish a used LT1 intake (yours) to match the heads as well as make it usable for an enlarged TB for around $350. Throw in a cam and lifters, get a tune, and you shouldnt have more than $2,300 or so wrapped up in it. That is the way I would go if it was me.

Green
    1994 Z28

TLS, could you please pm me all the information you have on the heads and getting the intake ported? i just picked one up a local u-pull it for $30 for porting purposes. Im looking to get good heads that are port mached for the intake. Im getting my lt1 rebuilt and bored .30 over to a 355 because my f**K**g front & rear seal is leaking just as bad as the oil pan.

Ray Charles blue

PM is on its way.

Thread Information