1997 lt1 problem

This is a discussion on 1997 lt1 problem within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; hello guys,,,hope this is were i ask for trouble shooting ideas,, my son has a 1997 lt1 formula,, it back ...

black
    1997 trans am ws6

1997 lt1 problem

hello guys,,,hope this is were i ask for trouble shooting ideas,, my son has a 1997 lt1 formula,, it back fired out the exhuast loud ,,he made it home maybe 1 mile,, then it wouldnt start back,,cranked over good and tryed to start but wouldnt,,shop has had it for 4 weeks now working on it off n on,,, has replaced the opti,,,plugs,, check the cats,,,he said when he checked it the first time it would loose the crank and cam shaft signal while cranking,,,that is why he replaced the opti,,,i mentioned the security maybe the problem but he says it is not showing any codes for that,,just so you know the opti cost was around $200 so definately not top of the line,,,i bought msd cap and rotor set new and he put it on along with the opti,,he says he has checked all the connections for the igniton,,,he says it is getting fire and fuel, i assume he meen it is getting both at the right time,,,haha,,,he did say the plugs were gas fouled bad,,that is why he replaced them,,,thank you for any help you can give,,, james

Black
    1993 Trans Am

check or have the shop check the injectors and the fuel regulator. Maybe one wire is broken or maybe its being drowned by bad fuel regulator. Also what codes does he say its showing? Do you trust this mechanic? or is he giving you the runaround so he can get paid to replace everything?

black
    1997 trans am ws6

thanks 93 t/a for the info, to the queston about trusting the mechanic i cant say i have heard anyting negative about him,, sadly this area around here we are in bad need of a "mechanic" and not just parts changers,,i am going to stop by there again tommorrow and see if he has found anything i will ask about codes that it is giveing now and mention about fuel delievry, i was thinking maybe in the same line as you about the fuel system maybe,, i am thinking about getting me a good scanner myself from parts store my son and mine are both 97 models and it sure might come in handy as i was rasied by an "old school" mechanic my dad,, which i so wish he was still with us,

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

+1 on fuel regulator.

Thia happened to me and I have a brand new engine. Turned out to be fuel delivery.

black
    1997 trans am ws6

thank you flybird for the response,,, i didnt get to check with the shop today,,i will keep posted what he finds out th=o be the problem,,well if he ever does anyways,, thanks again

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Ya know also check the fuel filter and pump. Basically any fuel related item. Goodluck and be sure to post back up to tell us how progression is going.

black
    1997 trans am ws6

just wanted to update on the lt1 problem,,,,mechanic says all the fuel system is working as suppose to be from the pump to the injectors,,, he says after all the things that has been checked and recheck again and no codes being shown it only basicly leave the timeing,,,he also says he has to pull the timeing chain cover off to see if maybe it has jumped time,,you guys know of any other way to see if the car has jumped time other than pulling the timeing chain cover off ? if he pulls the cover and it shows to need chain and gears replaced that is another $ 450.00 added to the already $420.00 opti replace. anyone ever had an lt1 to jump time before ? and if so, did you have any bent valves from it doing it ? just another "might" have happen along with it jumping time that i dont need. thank you,,,, james

red
    95 Z28

They can vary slightly based on a worn chain, but it wont be a significant "jump". Usually the chain or gear would break, and it wont run at all.

black
    1997 trans am ws6

thank you 5.0 for the info, just curious in your opinion, would you think the timeing chain,gear be worn enough to throw it out of time enough not to start at all,, if the chain or gear was broke wouldnt it have noise while cranking ? and would the dist. still fire if chain or gear broke ?

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Really what your spending is cheap compared to most of us. Me personally, I have put 11k into a v6. 2/3 of that went to engine. I hope you solve the problem but really you could end up building another engine. Wish the best of luck

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

wouldn't a scan show timing issues? why with an ODBII would somebody have to guess at that?

red
    95 Z28

A competent GM technician with a Tech2 scanner would have it figured out in an hour. Most people think taking it to a dealer is a ripoff, but then they end up throwing so many parts at it to figure it out it ends up being more expensive. As far as the timing chain, yes, you would likely know it if it was shelled. You might not know it if a tooth or two has broken on one of the gears, but again, that's not really going to "throw" it out of time. The chains can and do stretch with wear, but it shouldnt be enough to cause significant driveability issues.

black
    1997 trans am ws6

ok guys got the car back today,,,, mechanic says he pulled the dis. cap back off and the timeing was wear it was suppose to be,, he checked the ign.coil and it was not putting out like it is suppose to be,he changed it out and still no start,,checked fire out of dist. and was weak,,,so replaced the dis. he had origanly installed with a "new" not rebuilt one and the car started runs great. he says the "new" dist. came complete with cap and rotor,, so the new msd cap and rotor i took him was not used,,guess i will keep it for later. i didnt think it was to bad of cost for "new" complete dis. igntion coil, plugs and labor was $654.61 thank you guys again for the input,

Thread Information