FireFox05

1995 Z28 questions.

Hey guys, I've just returned from test driving a '95 Z.

It was at a local dealer, but has an automatic so I was saying to myself" I really want an M6, but I'll take a look at this one anyhow." And I must say that I liked the auto a lot. It shifted firm and smooth, with a little surge, bringing up my first question; Is this normal? Or has this car's shifts been firmed up?

My second question; What should I look out for on a 110,000 mile car that has had no work done on it? No complaints to dealer or anything. It was traded in about a month ago, and this dealer's sister dealer near-by was the one that sold it originaly.

One hose started to leak about half way through the test of about 12 miles. It appeared to be the bottom-most hose on the water pump, leaking at the connection. It got all over the belt as you can tell, and the PS drive pulley started slipping, so there was no PS hardly at all when the guy pulled it into the garage. Something to worry about, or just a bad hose/clamp?

And lastly, the ABS INOP dash light was lit. Reasons, things to look for, "DONT BUY THAT CAR"?

So yeah, those are my questions, I'd love your guys input. Also, the car is listed at $7k. Any pointers, things to look for, things of that sort, all very apreicated.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by FireFox05; 01-14-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Black
    1995 Z28

Well id say check the ABS sensors on the front tires make sure there connected, but watch that leak because once the anti freeze goes into that opti there goes another $300-$400. My opti is going bad im gonna chang it this weekend. But in my opinion $7k is kinda high. I mean I got mine for $2500 out the door nothing wrong with it but it was the dealership my mom works at and got a good deal which they were looking to only get $4k for the car.

FireFox05
    Based on Edmunds the car is worth about $5500. I will keep the ABS thing in mind. About the leak, it was only going on for about 5 miles, maybe 8 at the most. Is that long enough for it to screw the opti? Dealer said they would fix pronto.

Black
    1995 Z28

Id be leary about it because once the opti gets wet its basically done for, id say get that leak fixed and if the car starts to run lik shit id take it back to them and tell them to fix it.

FireFox05
    Isn't the 95' opti sealed?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

None are sealed enough

Black
    1995 Z28

There all sealed but the 93-94 are non-vented and the 95-97 are vented but the weap hole from the water pump it is right above the opti and leaks into the opti

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

7k thats way too much.. i bought a 95 z28 m6 $4300....95k miles back in 2002 i would look around some more, you cant go wrong with a 6 speed, auto's are a headache

1BADLT1
    As stated on another board dont buy it man just be patient i promise something better will come up. If you can avoid it dont buy a car with problems.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Run away...far away from that car. When shit starts breaking on a 12 mile test drive, you know the car hasn't been maintained well. Are you sure the leak was coming from the hose and not the weep hole? Check this site in the for sale section...also check out autotrader.com ....found my car there for 8700 with 78k on the clock. Keep looking

FireFox05
    Well, it is the best one I have found in the area, and one of the few Z28's. I feel that it was just age happening with the water hose, and as such am not scared of it. I'll have my uncle put a whole new hose kit on the sucker if I get it.

EDIT: And yes, I'm fairly sure is was the hose. It appeared to be leaking right at the clamp, not about 1/4-1/2 inch closer to the body of the pump.

Black
    1995 Z28

Mine was leaking from there before too. its the little hose going into the water pump correct?

FireFox05
    Right, the lower-most one. And the connecting nipple seems to stick out a bit from what I could see, perhaps a half inch to three-quarters, and that's where it was leaking. Not on the body of the pump itself.

1BADLT1
    If you want it buy it.

FireFox05
    Well, the dealer replaced the water pump. So I don't know anymore. Anyhow, I'm sort of scared by that car. Just around the cornner might be lots of repairs from aged and worn parts. I am still looking.

lee1rbc
    If it was leaking from the test drive it is most likely from a very recent repair done to the car. The price is way to high, I just sold my 95Z28 A4 with 108k for 5,000. I also drove over 400miles for my T/A. I think you should do a larger search in some neighboring states.
    Last edited by lee1rbc; 01-19-2006 at 04:36 PM.

FireFox05
    Thanks, I'm still looking.

Thread Information