1993 Z-28

110k Mile LT1 Z-28 Tranny Service???

Debating on whether or not to change tranny fluid and filter on my 93 Z-28 (automatic). It has 110k miles and has not ever been changed to my knowledge. Ive heard both sides of the argument on whether to change it this late in the game, or let it ride. Any feedback? thanks!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Its a common conception that if the fluid has been in the car for too long, its a bad idea to change it, because you'll be draining all the suspended friction material out with the fluid, causing the trans to start slipping.

There probably is some truth to that, but the bottom line is its either face the issue now or later. Transmission fluid is constantly getting exposed to extreme temperatures and contaminants, and it will eventually break down and gum up the point where is no longer provides the necessary properties for the transmission to operate properly. At that point you're stuck with a burned up and gummed up transmission thats totally shot.

You're best bet is to drain the fluid and change the filter now, before the fluid gets worse and actually does kill the trans for good. Chances are it will be fine, but there's always that chance that it will start developing problems. And if it is in fact fine, you're risking destroying a good tranny by leaving the old shitty fluid in it. Better to find those problems now than later though, when you've driving somewhere and you end up breaking down because the trans fails.

New TL /sold my 9th Fbody Chad97SS's Avatar
    well thats a double edged sword if I ever seen one. I had an 86 IROC once and drove it HARD. Then went to have the tranny fluid changed and it started slipping.

I had the fluid changed at a jiffy lube, I swore they screwed something up. But I guess they didn't. But someone once told me that if they(jiffy lube) change the fluid then the tranny messes up, they will fix the tranny, or something like that. Might check their policy.

On the other hand, you could always try draining 1/2 the fluid, and leaving the filter in and putting in half new fluid.. HA! I know that sounds ghetto. But if you're really scared to change it, then what can you do?

red
    95 Z28

Draining the pan and changing the filter is far less risky than having the entire system flushed via a flushing machine. I'd say go ahead and drop the pan and put in a new filter and top it off.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Yeah until you get a new tranny or ready for a rebuild.. dont do it.. mine was black and I thought I took off the oil pan... thats how bad it was... now 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shifts dont do so well.. i got warned.. but i have a new tranny waiting on her.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

I would change the filter and flush it out. Then run it for around 100 miles and flush it again. Do it your self and don't ever let jiffy lube touch your car.
    Then do your self a favor and put in a transmission cooler.

Red
    1994 Trans Am

yea never let jiffy lube touch ur car. better to work on it urself or a trained pro.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LEAVE IT!!! I did the same thing with my 97. It was my Step Dads car and he had it changed once at like 28K and when he died I got the car and it had 86K on it. Now it has 89K on it and I am actually having to change the transmission as we speak. It leaked like a paper boat in rough seas for the past 6 months out of every seal. It finally started slipping about 4 months ago and I tried all the additives. Lucus, Stop leak, you name it, I used it . Ever time I used something else I did fluid, filter and gasket. At first I started to loose 4th gear and then 3rd. About a month ago 2nd started to slip and I bought a mega monster transmission from Eatmyshift.com (only bought from them because they are local) I would leave it just make sure it is topped off and plan on a new trans in the near future.

Metallic Blue
    94 Z28 A4 T Tops 52K MINT

Jiffy Lube?

Don't you mean IFFIY LUBE, there a bunch of dumb assses hey jiffy lube heres what I have to say

Metallic Blue
    94 Z28 A4 T Tops 52K MINT

Oh by the way I am new here my name is Scott, What's Up?

Thread Information