Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yuck!!!

This is a discussion on Yuck!!! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Also...it doesn't have the green stuff. Orange, and the coolant is full......

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Also...it doesn't have the green stuff. Orange, and the coolant is full...

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by intheclouds1977 View Post
    No offense, but that site is worthless. It's a bunch of non-mechanical idiots that blame their problems on DexCool. DexCool is superior to regular coolant as long as it is used properly. It must be changed regularly (not the 100k miles GM recommends) and must NEVER NEVER NEVER be mixed with the green stuff. I read several posts on the above site and every one sounded like an idiot who knows nothing about cars who probably didn't properly maintain their Dexcool.

I run Dexcool in all 3 of my GM vehicles. 143k miles, 105k miles, and 62k miles without a single problem because I properly maintain the cooling system.

The starter of this thread obviously has not properly maintained his system. That's isn't DexCool's fault.

Now granted, the green stuff isn't corrosive if not properly maintained...so it's better for the mechanical moron who doesn't take proper care of his/her vehicle. However, if you properly maintain the cooling system, DexCool is far superior for cooling. It should not be blamed for damage when the owner simply didn't follow proper maintenance schedules.
    And i assume that you are not calling me the moron, but instead other owners that do not maintain their system. I found this problem cuz I was actually checking over everything. i have checked the coolant before and it has always been fine...i just happened to check the overflow this time, and that is where the sludge is. So like I said...I would hope that you didn't so quickly assume that i am a moron...I started this thread to find answers becuse i do care about my car...not to be labeled a moron...

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Dexcool.
    exactly, drain that shit. flush it with some tap water and then put some of the green shit in it!

thats what i did after my buddys shop recommended that i do it!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    exactly, drain that shit. flush it with some tap water and then put some of the green shit in it!
    Yea...I just did a search on Dexcool, and cannot find very many people with anything good to say. Seen a lot of class action suits...

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

If you've had the car for 11k miles without knowing the prior service history for the cooling system, and did not do a drain/flush until now I'm sorry...I'd call you a "mechanical moron who doesn't take proper care of his/her vehicle". I'm certainly not trying to insult you or state that you're a moron in general...just that you don't understand your own vehicle and the importance of cooling system maintenance with DexCool. If you take offense, I'm sorry, but that's my assessment of your problem...improper maintenance by someone who didn't know better. Nobody who knows DexCool leaves it in for 46k miles and acts dumbfounded when they find sludge, unless they're a "mechanical moron" when it comes to DexCool.

Now, if you have done a coolant flush/drain since you've had the car, or are 100% that the previous owner did just before you got it, then I stand corrected.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

i had the same problem with mine i just took it to get it flushed becase i did it myself and it was still nasty and when i got it back he jsut sayed thats what dexicool dose when you dont take care of it just get it flushed thats what i would do
    Wishin for a LS1

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

If you've had the car for 11k miles without knowing the prior service history for the cooling system, and did not do a drain/flush until now I'm sorry...I'd call you a "mechanical moron who doesn't take proper care of his/her vehicle". I'm certainly not trying to insult you or state that you're a moron in general...just that you don't understand your own vehicle and the importance of cooling system maintenance with DexCool. If you take offense, I'm sorry, but that's my assessment of your problem...improper maintenance by someone who didn't know better. Nobody who knows DexCool leaves it in for 46k miles and acts dumbfounded when they find sludge, unless they're a "mechanical moron" when it comes to DexCool.

Now, if you have done a coolant flush/drain since you've had the car, or are 100% that the previous owner did just before you got it, then I stand corrected.
    My problem started with the low coolant light coming on. I am a fanatic when it comes to maintenance on my vehicles. Initially it was diagnosed as bad sensors, which were replaced several times. On one of my warranty field trips back to the dealer one of the technicians said, "it looks like you have power steering fluid in your antifreeze" I asked how is this possible and he said it isn't they are 2 completely separate systems. Long story but it was finally diagnosed as a ruptured coolant line in my radiator hose. The coolant looked like glue on the dipstick just like the picture. Cost me 2K (+) to get fixed and GM would not cover it under warranty even though this was the cause of the low coolant sensor being replaced so many times.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

First off, I think it is possible to provide feedback without calling someone a moron. You are correct...i did not know about the problems that Dexcool has. And since I have had the car I have checked the coolant...I just never checked in the overflow resevoir. I have never admitted to being a mechanical genius...that is why I came to a site like this because of the wisdom that others have. I didn't come here asking how to change the air filter...I ran into something that I have never experienced. But thank you for your infinite wisdom oh wonderful God of mechanics.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Just to let everyone know what the verdict was at the GM dealer. I had oil in my coolant and vice versa. He said that when oil mixes with the antifreeze it coagulates into that sludge shit. He said the culprit is most likely the head gaskets. He said that I would have never made the trip to Virginia...said my engine would have seized up. Thank you everyone for your assistance and feedback...except for the asshole that called me a moron...he can suck a d!ck...

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TX_WS6_02 View Post
    Just to let everyone know what the verdict was at the GM dealer. I had oil in my coolant and vice versa. He said that when oil mixes with the antifreeze it coagulates into that sludge shit. He said the culprit is most likely the head gaskets. He said that I would have never made the trip to Virginia...said my engine would have seized up. Thank you everyone for your assistance and feedback...except for the asshole that called me a moron...he can suck a d!ck...
    Lol can't we all just get along, lol

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Dam that sux man, and had I read this earlier I woulda asked you to check your oil and see if the oil on the end of your dipstick was milky looking (like chocolate milk) with bubbles. Had that happen to me once with my last car. Dam head gasket.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    Dam that sux man, and had I read this earlier I woulda asked you to check your oil and see if the oil on the end of your dipstick was milky looking (like chocolate milk) with bubbles. Had that happen to me once with my last car. Dam head gasket.
    Yeah...I just had my oil changed about 2 weeks ago and they didn't say anything. The dealer said they can fix the problem and I will be ok, but that I was lucky to have caught it before it did any damage. Did you catch yours in time? Did you have warning signs or did you find yours like I did...just by inspecting all your fluids?

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

You caught yours sooner than I did. I was just driving around one day and my temp shot up. I pulled over at a auto store by chance. Checked my coolant level in the radiator and saw no fluid, went in the store and bought some more coolant filled it back up and drove straight home, about 7 miles. With it starting to overheat again as I pulled in the driveway. Turned it off, called a friend he suggested I check the oil dipstick and sure enough. It did no damage to the motor just had the headgasket replaced no more problems. I think you caught yours much earlier than I did, so you should be OK. Hate to hear that is what you found, that sux, but what can you do.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

And I would be willing to bet 2 weeks ago when you got your oil change it was fine, no evidence.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

And I would be willing to bet 2 weeks ago when you got your oil change it was fine, no evidence.
    Probably...I am just glad that when I bought it 5 months ago, I bought the best extended warranty they had to offer. The GM dealership said that my warranty includes everything...even the fluids. The only thing that I will have to pay for is the deductible, and that is between $50-$200. He said if the engine had seized...I would be F****d! The service department is awesome. I was afraid I was going to get screwed over. He even printed out information on my car. Like every time it has been to the dealer, every part that has ever been replaced...found out that the radio has been replaced twice...

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Cool lucky you, nice to see your extended warranty is gonna work out for ya. Mine on the otherhand, I have had my car for over 3 years now, only used the factory warranty until it ran out, then I started the mods and pretty much voided everything that my extended warranty would cover. DOH!!! But I did get a lot done off the factory, stupid dealership sold me mine with full warranty even though my car had been through hell and back. stayed in the shop for 6 weeks out of the first 2 months I owned it. Whole brand new drive line installed and a few other things over $8000 worth of shit replaced, in fact the last time I talked to that dealership, they told me not to ever step foot on their lot again unless I have a lawyer...LMFAO!!!

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Read my post again. I didn't call you a moron. I called you a mechanical moron when it comes to DexCool. Perhaps ignorant would be a less offensive term? Or uneducated? My intent was not to offend you.

Since you should also suck a dick for getting so easily offended...wanna go 69 with me!?!?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Cool lucky you, nice to see your extended warranty is gonna work out for ya. Mine on the otherhand, I have had my car for over 3 years now, only used the factory warranty until it ran out, then I started the mods and pretty much voided everything that my extended warranty would cover. DOH!!! But I did get a lot done off the factory, stupid dealership sold me mine with full warranty even though my car had been through hell and back. stayed in the shop for 6 weeks out of the first 2 months I owned it. Whole brand new drive line installed and a few other things over $8000 worth of shit replaced, in fact the last time I talked to that dealership, they told me not to ever step foot on their lot again unless I have a lawyer...LMFAO!!!

Damn!!! A lawyer...lol At least you got your ride fixed.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thread closed since the topic can't be discussed in a civil manner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information