Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 161

Are you tinted?

This is a discussion on Are you tinted? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by CrossJaded So how does it work? ..or what questions would you ask when looking for a reputable ...

  1. #101
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossJaded View Post
    So how does it work? ..or what questions would you ask when looking for a reputable tint shop? I see so many cars w/ faded bubbled tint & it just looks awful.
    Well for me, there are a few local shops. I personally would go to each one and talk to the owner and get a "feel" for them. I would also ask to see some demo's of their work. I am pretty particular about my car.

    As far as the vinyl, I am not sure. Never heard of it until this thread, but my guess would be that a strip would be put down in the affected area first so when they apply the actual tint, it would be going on a smooth surface (the vinyl) and thus would be less prone to bubbling due to lack of adhesion. That's just a total guess though. I'd have to research it some to know for sure.

  2. #102
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Ya, but it will still bubble over time on the whole window, thanks to all the stripes for the window defog. It's really a no win situation. They always have to be redone again after a few years anyway.

    Edit: Just a side note for something else to think about. Most shops won't tell you (you have to ask) but when it comes time to rip the old tint off for a redo,,,they won't guarantee that your rear window defog will operate correctly anymore. Seems they have a difficult time pulling off the tint without messing up the defog wires.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.

  3. #103
    Member blackcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,234

    2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

    I've always been told by my tint guy not to run the back window defroster. There is air trapped from the lines when they put the tint on and when you heat it up it expands.

  4. #104
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossJaded View Post
    So how does it work? ..or what questions would you ask when looking for a reputable tint shop? I see so many cars w/ faded bubbled tint & it just looks awful.
    its really something you ask for...well i never did...but just kinda tell them if they can put a vinyl strip over that spot, see what they say....i know some of them will put the tint first and stop right before that bubbles and then the vinly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I will try to get a picture of the vinyl from the inside tomorrow guys....
    It really doesn't change visibility at all.
    very true....unless someone is looking tho the bubbles to see out the back hahahaha when the vinyl is put on that lower edge more or less becomes the end of the window

  5. #105
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I've always been told by my tint guy not to run the back window defroster. There is air trapped from the lines when they put the tint on and when you heat it up it expands.
    Ya I was told the same from a few of the tint companies around here when I was checking on it. I didn't like the idea of rendering a feature of the car inoperative that can be important at times

    Which is probably one reason that explains why my back window was never done years ago when the doors were tinted.

    But keeping the sun off the back seat passengers is more important to me at this time.

  6. #106
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, but it will still bubble over time on the whole window, thanks to all the stripes for the window defog. It's really a no win situation. They always have to be redone again after a few years anyway.

    Edit: Just a side note for something else to think about. Most shops won't tell you (you have to ask) but when it comes time to rip the old tint off for a redo,,,they won't guarantee that your rear window defog will operate correctly anymore. Seems they have a difficult time pulling off the tint without messing up the defog wires.
    i have NEVER seen anyones car that ran the vinyl bubble up....the tint YES but not the vinyl

    note- doesnt matter what tint you get, with time it will fade or bubble...the darker the longer it last NOW im sure this has more todo so with the southern state more then up north and or if your car is outside alot

  7. #107
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    and watch what you use to clean the inside windows with

  8. #108
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    i have NEVER seen anyones car that ran the vinyl bubble up....the tint YES but not the vinyl

    note- doesnt matter what tint you get, with time it will fade or bubble...the darker the longer it last NOW im sure this has more todo so with the southern state more then up north and or if your car is outside alot
    I wasn't talking about the vinyl part. I'm talking about the rest of the tint going over the defrost wires. You can't vinyl the whole back window. I didn't think I had to point out the obvious

    Over time, the tint will start to seperate from the defrost wiring and you will have bubbles over the entire back window.

  9. #109
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    and watch what you use to clean the inside windows with
    Any window cleaner that does NOT have ammonia in it.

  10. #110
    Member blackcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,234

    2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

    When I had my Bretta tinted the back window started peeling with in a couple of weeks, where the black dots were. I rubbed the black area with steel wool and went back to the tint shop. Had it for about 6 years after that and didn't have any more problems. When I bought my Camaro new in Oct '01 I did the steel wool trick before I went and to this day I have not had a problem.

  11. #111
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Morris IL
    Posts
    11

    Metallic Blue
    02 WS6 Trans Am

    Tinted but want to go darker by spring ...

  12. #112
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    106
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    How is the move over law BS??? Do you know how many cops have been run into while on traffic stops or other calls on the roadside???
    I'm not saying it's BS, under part B of the law it says if you can not get over due to traffic conditions you must maintain a cautious and safe speed when passing a STATIONARY emergency vehicle. I passed him going 45 in a 70. There were two trucks to my right, I couldn't get over, how is this breaking the law? I upheld it.

  13. #113
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by pbguy357 View Post
    I'm not saying it's BS, under part B of the law it says if you can not get over due to traffic conditions you must maintain a cautious and safe speed when passing a STATIONARY emergency vehicle. I passed him going 45 in a 70. There were two trucks to my right, I couldn't get over, how is this breaking the law? I upheld it.
    Ya I've heard about that, and what you describe is where the law is a bit fuzzy, has a grey area. It pretty much leaves it up to the cops descression. If he still thinks you were too fast (45 in a 70 would be acceptable to me also) then he'll write a ticket.

    What they don't realize is slowing down too much on a 70 mph highway also poses other dangers as well, like a big car pile up for instance I'm not willing to put my family in that kind of danger. Just sayin.

  14. #114
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Checked today....although didn't get pictures.

    The vinyl covering isn't even noticeable in the rearview mirror. The headliner is in the way.

  15. #115
    intimdator gotws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    greenville sc
    Posts
    305

    black
    1998 transam ws6

    20 on all

  16. #116
    Member nichoLaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    330

    Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

    I'm getting 35% next weekend so I'll be posting pics soon..

  17. #117
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    I'm getting 35% next weekend so I'll be posting pics soon..
    dammmmmmmmm.....thats light lol.....hope you like it

  18. #118
    Member nichoLaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    330

    Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    dammmmmmmmm.....thats light lol.....hope you like it
    ...yeah I'm still kinda torn about it.. I really wanna go darker but I just afford to take the risk of getting a ticket at the moment so I think I just gotta play it safe for a little while at least.. I really want 20%

  19. #119
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    ...yeah I'm still kinda torn about it.. I really wanna go darker but I just afford to take the risk of getting a ticket at the moment so I think I just gotta play it safe for a little while at least.. I really want 20%
    i would do 20% hands down, i think the 35% will be a waste of money.....BUT its your car and you have to do what you want

  20. #120
    Member nichoLaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    330

    Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    i would do 20% hands down, i think the 35% will be a waste of money.....BUT its your car and you have to do what you want
    Lol well I want 20.. but I need to get 35% to avoid any extra attention for the time being

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tinted Windows??
    By dschribs in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 10:21 AM
  2. Question: Tinted Side Markers
    By fbodyNATION in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM
  3. Tinted T-tops
    By fbodyNATION in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 11:37 PM
  4. Has anyone tinted their head lights?
    By BowTied in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
  5. Tinted verts?
    By mahoney1 in forum Convertible
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 05:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •