Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Are you tinted?

This is a discussion on Are you tinted? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by CrossJaded So how does it work? ..or what questions would you ask when looking for a reputable ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by CrossJaded View Post
    So how does it work? ..or what questions would you ask when looking for a reputable tint shop? I see so many cars w/ faded bubbled tint & it just looks awful.
    Well for me, there are a few local shops. I personally would go to each one and talk to the owner and get a "feel" for them. I would also ask to see some demo's of their work. I am pretty particular about my car.

As far as the vinyl, I am not sure. Never heard of it until this thread, but my guess would be that a strip would be put down in the affected area first so when they apply the actual tint, it would be going on a smooth surface (the vinyl) and thus would be less prone to bubbling due to lack of adhesion. That's just a total guess though. I'd have to research it some to know for sure.

Ya, but it will still bubble over time on the whole window, thanks to all the stripes for the window defog. It's really a no win situation. They always have to be redone again after a few years anyway.

Edit: Just a side note for something else to think about. Most shops won't tell you (you have to ask) but when it comes time to rip the old tint off for a redo,,,they won't guarantee that your rear window defog will operate correctly anymore. Seems they have a difficult time pulling off the tint without messing up the defog wires.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I've always been told by my tint guy not to run the back window defroster. There is air trapped from the lines when they put the tint on and when you heat it up it expands.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossJaded View Post
    So how does it work? ..or what questions would you ask when looking for a reputable tint shop? I see so many cars w/ faded bubbled tint & it just looks awful.
    its really something you ask for...well i never did...but just kinda tell them if they can put a vinyl strip over that spot, see what they say....i know some of them will put the tint first and stop right before that bubbles and then the vinly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I will try to get a picture of the vinyl from the inside tomorrow guys....
    It really doesn't change visibility at all.
    very true....unless someone is looking tho the bubbles to see out the back hahahaha when the vinyl is put on that lower edge more or less becomes the end of the window

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I've always been told by my tint guy not to run the back window defroster. There is air trapped from the lines when they put the tint on and when you heat it up it expands.
    Ya I was told the same from a few of the tint companies around here when I was checking on it. I didn't like the idea of rendering a feature of the car inoperative that can be important at times

Which is probably one reason that explains why my back window was never done years ago when the doors were tinted.

But keeping the sun off the back seat passengers is more important to me at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, but it will still bubble over time on the whole window, thanks to all the stripes for the window defog. It's really a no win situation. They always have to be redone again after a few years anyway.

Edit: Just a side note for something else to think about. Most shops won't tell you (you have to ask) but when it comes time to rip the old tint off for a redo,,,they won't guarantee that your rear window defog will operate correctly anymore. Seems they have a difficult time pulling off the tint without messing up the defog wires.
    i have NEVER seen anyones car that ran the vinyl bubble up....the tint YES but not the vinyl

note- doesnt matter what tint you get, with time it will fade or bubble...the darker the longer it last NOW im sure this has more todo so with the southern state more then up north and or if your car is outside alot

and watch what you use to clean the inside windows with

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    i have NEVER seen anyones car that ran the vinyl bubble up....the tint YES but not the vinyl

note- doesnt matter what tint you get, with time it will fade or bubble...the darker the longer it last NOW im sure this has more todo so with the southern state more then up north and or if your car is outside alot
    I wasn't talking about the vinyl part. I'm talking about the rest of the tint going over the defrost wires. You can't vinyl the whole back window. I didn't think I had to point out the obvious

Over time, the tint will start to seperate from the defrost wiring and you will have bubbles over the entire back window.

and watch what you use to clean the inside windows with
    Any window cleaner that does NOT have ammonia in it.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

When I had my Bretta tinted the back window started peeling with in a couple of weeks, where the black dots were. I rubbed the black area with steel wool and went back to the tint shop. Had it for about 6 years after that and didn't have any more problems. When I bought my Camaro new in Oct '01 I did the steel wool trick before I went and to this day I have not had a problem.

Metallic Blue
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Tinted but want to go darker by spring ...

2001 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    How is the move over law BS??? Do you know how many cops have been run into while on traffic stops or other calls on the roadside???
    I'm not saying it's BS, under part B of the law it says if you can not get over due to traffic conditions you must maintain a cautious and safe speed when passing a STATIONARY emergency vehicle. I passed him going 45 in a 70. There were two trucks to my right, I couldn't get over, how is this breaking the law? I upheld it.

Quote Originally Posted by pbguy357 View Post
    I'm not saying it's BS, under part B of the law it says if you can not get over due to traffic conditions you must maintain a cautious and safe speed when passing a STATIONARY emergency vehicle. I passed him going 45 in a 70. There were two trucks to my right, I couldn't get over, how is this breaking the law? I upheld it.
    Ya I've heard about that, and what you describe is where the law is a bit fuzzy, has a grey area. It pretty much leaves it up to the cops descression. If he still thinks you were too fast (45 in a 70 would be acceptable to me also) then he'll write a ticket.

What they don't realize is slowing down too much on a 70 mph highway also poses other dangers as well, like a big car pile up for instance I'm not willing to put my family in that kind of danger. Just sayin.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Checked today....although didn't get pictures.

The vinyl covering isn't even noticeable in the rearview mirror. The headliner is in the way.

black
    1998 transam ws6

20 on all

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

I'm getting 35% next weekend so I'll be posting pics soon..

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    I'm getting 35% next weekend so I'll be posting pics soon..
    dammmmmmmmm.....thats light lol.....hope you like it

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

dammmmmmmmm.....thats light lol.....hope you like it
    ...yeah I'm still kinda torn about it.. I really wanna go darker but I just afford to take the risk of getting a ticket at the moment so I think I just gotta play it safe for a little while at least.. I really want 20%

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    ...yeah I'm still kinda torn about it.. I really wanna go darker but I just afford to take the risk of getting a ticket at the moment so I think I just gotta play it safe for a little while at least.. I really want 20%
    i would do 20% hands down, i think the 35% will be a waste of money.....BUT its your car and you have to do what you want

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

i would do 20% hands down, i think the 35% will be a waste of money.....BUT its your car and you have to do what you want
    Lol well I want 20.. but I need to get 35% to avoid any extra attention for the time being

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information