Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Yes, I am this stupid!

Installed my new waterpump and thermostat today. Everything went way too smooth so I knew something was bound to happen. When I was working on the pump I removed the throttle body to make access a little easier. I didn't have any rags to stuff in the TB opening of the intake so I used a couple of socks. Apparently when I removed them I unknowingly left one inside the intake. I assembled everything and fired it up. I took it around the block and it started missing and died. I managed to get it back to the house and when I removed the TB there was the reminence of one of the socks burned to hell. The inside of the intake is full of dust and I'm pretty sure the other half of the sock got sucked down the intake. Now because of a stupid mistake I have probably cost myself thousands in repairs. At the very least the intake will need to be removed and cleaned. Who knows how contaminated the engine is. I tried to contact one of the repair shops by me but there is nobody there on SUN. I fear I will need to go to GM to have them tear it down and clean it out. This is all I need with everything else right now, A huge repair bill. Anyone else have any dumb stories to share to make a guy feel better?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I've got some pretty dumb ones...

If I were you, I'd remove the intake and check things out before you start freaking out. The sock probably got stopped up in one of the runners and was choking the intake, causing the misfire. Before you have the block ripped apart, check things out for yourself.

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I've got some pretty dumb ones...

If I were you, I'd remove the intake and check things out before you start freaking out. The sock probably got stopped up in one of the runners and was choking the intake, causing the misfire. Before you have the block ripped apart, check things out for yourself.
    I took a look at the intake and even looked through the hayes repair manual but I don't think I have the ability to tackle this myself. I don't want to get in too deep and break something else.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

^^^+1

Just pull of the intake. The sock would most likely never make it past a valve, so you should be able to pull the leftover pieces out from the intake and heads.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Black WS-6 View Post
    I took a look at the intake and even looked through the hayes repair manual but I don't think I have the ability to tackle this myself. I don't want to get in too deep and break something else.
    If you can tackle the water pump, the intake shouldn't be out of your reach.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Intake is easy. Just remember two things. First of all,put a vice grip on the hood strut so it won't close on your fuel rail and injectors. Yes,that happened to me. You don't have to disconnect the fuel line. Once you unbolt the rail,it pops off under hand pressure. Second thing, the plastic screws under the cowl are SHARP!. Oh, and probably a good idea to replace the knock sensors and sub wiring harness while you are in there. I have to change mine everytime I do emissions. And you don't need any gaskets. Should take you two hours the first time. And mu stupid story is from a bronco. I bought a cheap engine dress up kit cause I wanted to change valve covers when I put the four barrel intake and carb on. So,I had the distributor out. I dropped one of the stupid little washers down the distributor hole. I thought it was a shaft w no openings. So I put a long screwdriver down there w the intention of sliding it up the wall. Easy,right? Uh,no. I pushed it down in the engine,and ended up tearing down the whole front of engine to get it out. Wait,was this the story about the timing chain I replaced in a bronco?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I agree -- pull the intake and check it out. The nice thing about the LS motors is that the intake does NOT have a coolant passage. You won't be able to remove the rearmost bolts in the intake due to the cowl. Take a piece of fuel line and split it with a razor blade so you can slip it around the bolts to hold them up out of the way. Also, be very careful working at the back of the intake when you pop the MAP sensor -- the oil pressure sender is on top of the block at the back driver side corner of the intake and it can be broken if anything catches on it.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

^and where is your stupid story? Spill it!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    ^and where is your stupid story? Spill it!

I could probably post stupid stories all night.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I've got quite a few stupid mistake stories myself.

1st time I ever really worked on a car was when I was in HS auto shop. My mom had a 63 Ford Galaxie with a 352 and it needed a tune up. I take it in, change the points (?!?!? gotta be an old timer to know what I mean) and plugs and go to start it up. Well I didn't have the points set quite right and it backfired (hugely) up thru the carb and caught the hood insulation on fire. Fortunately for me the teacher was there with a fire extinguisher.

I had the prescence of mind to toss a rag over the carb but it was a mess to clean up. Better than trying to explain a burned down car though...

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I agree -- pull the intake and check it out. The nice thing about the LS motors is that the intake does NOT have a coolant passage. You won't be able to remove the rearmost bolts in the intake due to the cowl. Take a piece of fuel line and split it with a razor blade so you can slip it around the bolts to hold them up out of the way. Also, be very careful working at the back of the intake when you pop the MAP sensor -- the oil pressure sender is on top of the block at the back driver side corner of the intake and it can be broken if anything catches on it.
    Will I need to purchase new intake gaskets? The hayes manual says I will need to disconnect the ground strap to the block and the emmissions from the exhaust manifold. Where in Mansfield are you? I use to deliver for R&L and I passed through there everyday and made many deliveries there. I know the area well. Wish you were closer so you could show me step by step what to do.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Seriously. You won't need help. It is really very simple. No need for gaskets.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Will I need to purchase new intake gaskets? The hayes manual says I will need to disconnect the ground strap to the block and the emmissions from the exhaust manifold. Where in Mansfield are you? I use to deliver for R&L and I passed through there everyday and made many deliveries there. I know the area well. Wish you were closer so you could show me step by step what to do.
    No on both of those
    Look in here this will give you an idea what to expect
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126647

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Would be happy to assist... but for the drive to get there. I'm about 2 miles from the center of town.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I've got quite a few stupid mistake stories myself.

1st time I ever really worked on a car was when I was in HS auto shop. My mom had a 63 Ford Galaxie with a 352 and it needed a tune up. I take it in, change the points (?!?!? gotta be an old timer to know what I mean) and plugs and go to start it up. Well I didn't have the points set quite right and it backfired (hugely) up thru the carb and caught the hood insulation on fire. Fortunately for me the teacher was there with a fire extinguisher.

I had the prescence of mind to toss a rag over the carb but it was a mess to clean up. Better than trying to explain a burned down car though...
    I'm old! ish!. Points and Dwell meter,,, check! Match book cover works good when setting points on GM cars. ..
    To the OP yeah I'd pull the intake and have a look see first.. @ least it was'nt glass bead media.. Found that in the TDCTT, project motor.. WHich ruined my peace of mind so totally I built a virgin (no remanned stuff period) engine over it..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-13-2010 at 03:28 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'm old! ish!. Points and Dwell meter,,, check! Match book cover works good when setting points on GM cars. ..
    To the OP yeah I'd pull the intake and have a look see first.. @ least it was'nt glass bead media.. Found that in the TDCTT, project motor.. WHich ruined my peace of mind so totally I built a virgin (no remanned stuff period) engine over it..
    Don't sweat it man. You can tackle it. Cotton fabric has little chance of surviving the combustion/induction process.. It would not have ran had there been a more serious issue with it.. Any pieces that made it inside the cylinder would burn up to ash quick and get blown out the exhaust. If any makes it to the cat, it will not harm it there either.. Very, very hot there, nothing would be left, not even dust..

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Would be happy to assist... but for the drive to get there. I'm about 2 miles from the center of town.
    Thats understandable. It's about 1.5 hours on route 6 east all the way so it's quite a haul. Sounds like your close to the University and Bus.15.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Go to ls1howto.com

On there is an excellent guide on how to do an intake swap. These steps will help you to pull the intake.

Here you go.
    http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

BE WARN NOW.... There is an oil sending pressure unit directly behind the intake. It has a 1" thick hose that is attached to the break booster. Remove with extreme caution. It snaps like a twig!

This is not a difficult thing to do if you follow the directions. If you can change a water pump, alternator, install headers you can do this.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thats understandable. It's about 1.5 hours on route 6 east all the way so it's quite a haul. Sounds like your close to the University and Bus.15.

You must drive a lot faster than I do -- I spent a summer taking a class in Scranton and it was 105 miles of two-lane blacktop to get there. Always took just over 2 hours, and that was before all the damn trucks came into our area.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

follow the ls1howto guide and you'll be fine. If you swapped a water pump ( well, you almost did ) you can definitely pull the intake. Like was said above....watch the oil pressure sending unit. Really easy to break. Only about $20 to replace but if you can help it try not to break it. Easier said than done. I bet 80% of the people that pull their intake the first time break that sender.
    I would definitely do all this before panicking. Most likely very little of that sock made it past the valve and what did was burned up in the cylinder.

Thread Information