wtf is the problem heree :( sparkplugs? install?

This is a discussion on wtf is the problem heree :( sparkplugs? install? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey Guys. 1999 Trans Am WS6 6-spped Stock LS6 Heads and Intake 228/232 112+5LSA cam Pacesetter Headers Borla Exhaust MSD ...

Red
    1999 Trans Am

wtf is the problem heree :( sparkplugs? install?

Hey Guys.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 6-spped
    Stock LS6 Heads and Intake
    228/232 112+5LSA cam
    Pacesetter Headers
    Borla Exhaust
    MSD 8.5MM Spark Plug Wires

So I put the car on the dyno to have it tuned and there was liek 1.9% knock after it all, so it was suggested I changed my spark plugs, Yesterday I took it to the mechanic and he took out the stock AC Delco PLugs (That were fuckt) put in NGK TR55's, now it runs like shit. Lost a fuck load of power, it like, crawls around ok but if I try to pick up any speed it's sluggish as hell. I know it could be a variety of things but I don't want to go back to the city (100miles away) pay $125/hr on the dyno to find out the plugs are either gapped wrong or are too cold for the car.

Do you guys think I should take it to like Canadian Tire or something to see if the plugs are gapped right? Or should I just think that the old plugs were that fuckt they threw the tune off when I put in new ones?

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have tuned my car with sht plugs and when we changed them it didn't make that big of a difference, If anything it ran better. We did a little more tuning and got a little more but not much.
    Another problem is dyno tunes. That screwed up a set of plugs on me because the cars was always running rich and I have driven in old GTO's and Mustangs and that can't compare to the fumes I had coming out. People behind me complaned on cruises. Using a dyno is ok but have them set it up more like a street tune than a WOT dyno tune unless your always going to be at a track. Alot of people I know had their cars reedone because they were to rich.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would lean towards, one or all of your plugs are gapped wrong for the tune, Or your mechainc left a wire loose, i would pull all the plugs and check the gap on each plug and ensure each wire is good and tight and not melted.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Are you pulling any SES lights?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hopefully the plugs are fully threaded into the block and weren't left loose. Very easy to pull each plug wire, check the plug torque (11 ft.lb.) and then re-install it to ensure a good connection. You want to hear/feel a single click connecting the wire to the plug and a double click connecting the wire to the coil. Another thing to look for is clearance between the spark plug boots and headers -- it's possible that you cooked a wire or two on the ride home.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Hey, i have it in today getting everything checked and checking the gaps, def something wrong wit the plugs or wires. No lights are coming up. Just slugish as fuck when i tramp on it. I told them at CT to make sure the gaps were .040 - .046(recommended by my cam maker) and to make sure wires were all tight and not broken, etc etc.

Thread Information