Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Ws6 vs Camaro SS some advice please

This is a discussion on Ws6 vs Camaro SS some advice please within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by TransDreamer you know, they do have classes for the built up anger you have.... your the only ...

2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    you know, they do have classes for the built up anger you have....

your the only one to ever bitch on this thread, other give me advice not bitch me out damn grow up that was some immature stuff there buddy.

i am still learning yes, i know a fraction of what all of you know, thats why i am hear to learn. i am just gathering info, i have learned so much on this forum so far thanks alot.

anyways i have no idea how much power a ls1 has, your right. i am just looking into the long run engine stuff like an ls2... people have said ls6=ls1 with new cam/heads. so now i am researching ls2's for future references.

<------Ponti-MANIAC.... a maniac thats for sure http://www.thehappyguy.com/anger-management-tips.html 8 simple ways to control your anger
    Here I go, going against my own advice to just stay away from this thread but here's another reason why you don't belong behind the wheel of an LS1.........YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION. Why don't you review the following posts #4, #8 & #30 on this thread all of them from me being kind and patient trying to give you good advice. And while your passing out website addresses to compliment your worldly knowledge from your 16 years of life experience, check this one out. http://www.teendriving.com/

Red
    2001 t/a ws6

You already have a 95 firebird right? Why not try to invest into it? You will take much more pride in it if you do the work yourself. Small block chevy motors are relatively cheap and the parts for them are, compared to the newer electronic parts, a lot cheaper. Tons of used parts are easy to find now. You could build your 95 into a much faster car than an LS1 for a lot less money and be even more proud of it since you did it all yourself. If you think you do not have the ability to do it yourself you are wrong. It is not hard with the older non-emission engines. All you need is research and common sense. Even if your state has emissions laws and inspections all you need to do is make sure your engine block is dated pre-emissions, like 1972 I think. You would need to check your local emissions laws. Once you verify to the emissions inspectors that your engine is non-emissions by having them verify the serial number on the block you should be able to get a waiver on the inspections. I know Maryland used to do this. When you build it with your own 2 hands it is yours. Your own creation. Not an assembly line clone. Think about it. And guess what... your insurance will be the same as it is now, maybe less As long as you don`t notify your insurance company of the engine swap. And no $300-$400 a month car payment. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by msb304 View Post
    You already have a 95 firebird right? Why not try to invest into it? You will take much more pride in it if you do the work yourself. Small block chevy motors are relatively cheap and the parts for them are, compared to the newer electronic parts, a lot cheaper. Tons of used parts are easy to find now. You could build your 95 into a much faster car than an LS1 for a lot less money and be even more proud of it since you did it all yourself. If you think you do not have the ability to do it yourself you are wrong. It is not hard with the older non-emission engines. All you need is research and common sense. Even if your state has emissions laws and inspections all you need to do is make sure your engine block is dated pre-emissions, like 1972 I think. You would need to check your local emissions laws. Once you verify to the emissions inspectors that your engine is non-emissions by having them verify the serial number on the block you should be able to get a waiver on the inspections. I know Maryland used to do this. When you build it with your own 2 hands it is yours. Your own creation. Not an assembly line clone. Think about it. And guess what... your insurance will be the same as it is now, maybe less As long as you don`t notify your insurance company of the engine swap. And no $300-$400 a month car payment. Just a thought.
    I have thought about that, but i dont want to invest money in something that i wont get much out of. its only an A4.. i would much rather have an m6. or atleast save money for that purpose instead if invest it in my bird

about 2 weeks ago in Ohio around Columbus we had a major hail storm and it messed up my car bad. my insurence didnt cover it so it looks like shit. its 2k to fix and i dont have the cahs for it. plus it only cost me 2500 for the car. i could make it fast but it would look like shit. plus the calibors are warped. i need new bairings. and a whole load of shit is wrong with it.

Btw.. anyone live in the columbus, ohio area?

thanks for the idea man but it just wont work.

Ponti manic you crack me up man. much love for you. i respect your advice, i really do i dont wanna flame someone on this forum haha. nice driving tips lol..

Red
    2001 t/a ws6

Sorry. thought you would like to create YOUR car instead of buying a clone. By the way, I`ll not comment on the spelling, and calipers don`t warp, rotors do. Body work is simple. Just time consuming and requires patience. my outlook has alway been to not pay someone to do a repair that I can do myself. EGO TRIP HERE>>> After all, is the guy I am paying for the repair smarter than me? He had to learn to do it, so I can too . It will take me longer right now, but I can put the saved money into something else in the car and I will have gained more mechanical knowledge in the process.
    Good luck.

did u read what i said? my car got fucked up by hail. i cant repair that myself. my hood i can replace, yes but everything else? ok

my car is old has alot of problems, i could use it as my beater and then buy my new car and then work on it MYSELF. yes my dad is just like you he refuses to pay anyone for anything. he was also a mechanic.

then why doesnt he help me? he is barley ever home and when he is, he ussaly helps with odds n ends but not with the big problems my car has.

o, and yes i could learn.. thats why i am here, to learn. i just cant rip open my car and play with it, put it all back and hope it runs. i need that car to get me places.

sped
    I think that at this point it would be a good time for TransDreamer to completely restate what reason it was that he started this thread and what he wanted to find out. Because he obviously had an intention and 4 pages of a safety lecture (which yes I will agree he has neglected) was probably not the original objective. I have no authority, but that is my own personal opinion, and I think that we might as well keep our feelings of concern to ourselves because if he really wants a WS6 or an SS he's going to get one, no matter what people say on here.

Have a splendid day!

Red
    2001 t/a ws6

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

I've got the answer!!!

I'm in Indianapolis, not too far from OH. I've got a 73 vega wagon with a 327,stall,4.11 9 inch, runs 11.60s on pump gas... You can buy that...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I just wanted to quote this because it's really good advice...and I doubt trans dreamer read it because it's long. If you didn't read it...then read it

Quote Originally Posted by msb304 View Post
    OK. I am new here too, but at 49 I am more than
    likely the oldest one to respond so far. So here goes... I am picking up my "new" 2001 ws6 T/A this week. I have test driven a few prior to purchasing this one. The power is truly amazing considering all of the crap the american car manufacturers are pushing out the door today. I was a street racer until I was almost 32 years old and had nothing but fun while taking all of the rich kids money. Verrrry profitable, but very stupid! I know you think this is leading to a sad story about a horrible wreck, but I was very lucky for my 16 years of street racing and never had any sort of mishap at all. I would build my cars, take them to the track one time just to get an idea of their times. At 16 I started with a high 11`s SS chevelle 4 speed and just got faster from there. I ended with a 10.1 second 1970 automatic Nova. All were always setup and run in street trim. I went through the above to let you know I have been there.

Now my 2 cents worth...

You want a stick but have no real experience driving one.
    You need to master a stick shift BEFORE applying 325hp to the learning experience. I say this because handling a stick properly under emergency situations is not an easy thing to learn. Think about the 4 year old child that runs out from behind a parked SUV.

Will you be able to hold back from "seeing what this baby can do" for over a year since the track age limit is 18.
    I doubt it since you already stated you would do it on an isolated road (or something to that effect).

Working and paying for it yourself is absolutely great.
    You said you had a crappy job. Is it a secure job? At 16/17 not to many employers really care about the employee and will "let them go" very easily because they can replace you very easily. The payments are still there when you are unemployed.

Insurance is unbearable at your age.
    $3000 - $5000 a year is crazy. Since you are financing the car there will be a lien on it. That means your loan company will REQUIRE full coverage insurance for the FULL TERM of the loan until paid in full. You can`t cancel the insurance for the winter just because you park the car in the garage. It has to be fully insured for the entire term of the loan. Some loan companies also require you to take the lowest possible deductible offered by your insurance company. This protects the lien holder, but also adds maybe 40% to the policy cost. Also, driving it to school will drive up the rates even more.

Now for the financial part...

I know nothing about your income or credit worthiness, or of your mother`s income or credit worthiness. With that said, I commend you for wanting to get the loan and the car in your name. BUT, at 16/17 , with no credit history, you will pay an outrageous interest rate, even with a co-signer. At your age you have plenty of time to build your credit rating. Be patient!! The least expensive way to go about getting the loan, depending on your mothers credit rating and income, is to see if she can take out the loan in her name and insure the car in her name. Much cheaper for you that way.

If you decide to get the car...

Before racing or doing a burnout just to impress your peers, think about how much the tires, clutch, rearend, driveshaft, and engine parts cost. And how long you will have to work to pay for new ones. Not to mention what a tiny little broken pushrod can do to your engine. When you break something your peers will tell you how bad they feel for you to your face, and then, behind your back, be laughing about it and saying how stupid you were!! They do not care if you break something because you are the only one who has to pay for it!! Parts are not cheap!! High school friends usually are!! If the car looks good and sounds good you will get all the attention you are craving from your peers. After all, they already know what a LS1 WS6 can do! No need, at your own expense, to show them. Just tease them all!! It drives them nuts!!

Good Luck and please THINK before showing off.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    I
    In 6 months, or before that ( if all goes as planed, which it should ) i will be making over 1k a month around 1,300. ish. i am hoping that should be enough since i looked at some thing on my banks website to caculate loans. My mother doesnt have great credit because of a devoirce in progress. I am guessing i will get a loan around 7-9 %.

so lets say i get a 10k loan at 9% over 36 months.. the payments will be 318 and insurence will be around 300 aswell(i need to call the insurence bitch to make sure). I should be able to afford it. then i will save for an ls2/ls6 engine one of those it depends. even if i got a loan at 5% the payments would still be around 300 $ just the total interest goes down.

You guys think this is wise of me? i dont want to wait too long to buy a fast car... and after i am ready to buy one, i will make sure i look around and i wont buy the first one i find.
    Hate to burst your bubble but you'll never see a loan for 7-9% under your name...your co-signer would have to have awesome credit for you to see those numbers. It takes years and years to build credit...not 6 months or a year like you're hoping. You build credit by using credit while at the same time keeping your dept/income ratio as low as possible.

Don't you think everyone on this board wanted a LS1 WS6 back in 98 when they came out? I was 18 when I saw the commercial of the WS6 eating the car infront of it at a red light...and I wanted one baddd!! But reality doesn't always work the way dreams do...be patient and you'll have one someday if you're still interested in one.

EDIT: oh and here's the commercial http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Xn3bW3TxM

And this is the redlight version http://youtube.com/watch?v=pYouMwIvPTQ

i dont know if i didnt make it clear, but i am geting the loan now under my moms name. the car will also be in her name.. all for the sake of money.

and yes i did read that, and yes it was great advice... btw i read everything on this thread..

but thanks for reminding me.. it really was good advice

You guys dont act like i should be able to enjoy it, no one encourges me lol.. kind of shoting down my dream... o well ill show you guys

i hope ill be able to post pics of my ws6 in a year or less

Also whens the best time ( cheapest to buy one ) i heard in jan. when the new cars come out.. and also in the winter? this true?

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

I don't think it would matter when you buy one because they don't make them anymore

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

A year after the new Camaro & GTO comes out they might get cheaper depending on how the new cars go over.

sped
    I always heard that fall is the best time because they have to be put in storage for the winter.

THE WS6 THAT COULD

Thumbs up

wow!! these guys on here know there stuff. I am 16 about to turn 17 in january. i will be picking up my 2000 WS6 paid for by me this friday. I am a junior and i have had a 94 3.4 camaro since my freshman year. Being a teenager i know exactly how hard it is not to go fast and do stupid stuff. I have a very slow a4 3.4 vert with a flowmaster exhaust that makes it sound like a v8 and guys at my school want to race it. I can say THERE IS A HUGE DIFFRENCE going from a 160hp a4 3.4 to a 350hp M6 WS6. Since you are not used to the power you are going to want to go fast and you are a young teen just like me and you will be challenged alot by anyone and everyone with a car and YES you will do it because all MOST teens think about is who is faster. Never thinking twice about safety of others. I didnt know that you had to be 18 to race at the track, ive been running my 3.4 at the strip since i first got my lincense. Ive read every single post on this thread and they speak the truth, i can admit after test driving the WS6 i bought, it is a HELL OF A CAR for my age. You guys can say what you want to say to the guy but hes going to do what he wants to do. He has to learn from his own mistakes. I did....when i got an outrageous ticket driving my dads brand new 07 sky redline causing my insurance to sky rocket, a $400 ticket just for a sudden speed burst and it still had the temp tags...ever since then i never drive fast. It is the decisions that we make now that will effect us for the rest of our lifes. Just think of how his life will be if he gets the WS6 and speeds and goes out and hits an innocnet driver. I can tell how matrue this guy is already and we are the same age, just by how he is worryed about beating other cars . Bottom line is that you have to have PEADAL disapline to keep yourself from gunning it everychance you get. If you want to race and worry about taking other cars go pick up the controller to your ps2 or xbox and play some Need For Speed because this is real life, if you make a mistake you cant go back and reset the game or bring back a life you took or your own. Just my .02.........ps you should be happy these guys care and dont just say yea go get the 350hp beast and FLOOR IT.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information