Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76

Ws6 vs Camaro SS some advice please

This is a discussion on Ws6 vs Camaro SS some advice please within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 7camaro7 forced to drive a normally aspirated 4door 4cylinder car for the rest of your life!...

  1. #41
    sped
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    forced to drive a normally aspirated 4door 4cylinder car for the rest of your life!

  2. #42
    Senior Member SeVeReDiStOrTiOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    8,164

    05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by sped View Post
    And I honestly think you sound like a roadrunner trying to get your hands on a big ass acme rocket.
    Now that's some funny shit

  3. #43
    Junior Member msb304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    wv
    Age
    61
    Posts
    24

    Red
    2001 t/a ws6

    OK. I am new here too, but at 49 I am more than likely the oldest one to respond so far. So here goes... I am picking up my "new" 2001 ws6 T/A this week. I have test driven a few prior to purchasing this one. The power is truly amazing considering all of the crap the american car manufacturers are pushing out the door today. I was a street racer until I was almost 32 years old and had nothing but fun while taking all of the rich kids money. Verrrry profitable, but very stupid! I know you think this is leading to a sad story about a horrible wreck, but I was very lucky for my 16 years of street racing and never had any sort of mishap at all. I would build my cars, take them to the track one time just to get an idea of their times. At 16 I started with a high 11`s SS chevelle 4 speed and just got faster from there. I ended with a 10.1 second 1970 automatic Nova. All were always setup and run in street trim. I went through the above to let you know I have been there.

    Now my 2 cents worth...

    You want a stick but have no real experience driving one.
    You need to master a stick shift BEFORE applying 325hp to the learning experience. I say this because handling a stick properly under emergency situations is not an easy thing to learn. Think about the 4 year old child that runs out from behind a parked SUV.

    Will you be able to hold back from "seeing what this baby can do" for over a year since the track age limit is 18.
    I doubt it since you already stated you would do it on an isolated road (or something to that effect).

    Working and paying for it yourself is absolutely great.
    You said you had a crappy job. Is it a secure job? At 16/17 not to many employers really care about the employee and will "let them go" very easily because they can replace you very easily. The payments are still there when you are unemployed.

    Insurance is unbearable at your age.
    $3000 - $5000 a year is crazy. Since you are financing the car there will be a lien on it. That means your loan company will REQUIRE full coverage insurance for the FULL TERM of the loan until paid in full. You can`t cancel the insurance for the winter just because you park the car in the garage. It has to be fully insured for the entire term of the loan. Some loan companies also require you to take the lowest possible deductible offered by your insurance company. This protects the lien holder, but also adds maybe 40% to the policy cost. Also, driving it to school will drive up the rates even more.

    Now for the financial part...

    I know nothing about your income or credit worthiness, or of your mother`s income or credit worthiness. With that said, I commend you for wanting to get the loan and the car in your name. BUT, at 16/17 , with no credit history, you will pay an outrageous interest rate, even with a co-signer. At your age you have plenty of time to build your credit rating. Be patient!! The least expensive way to go about getting the loan, depending on your mothers credit rating and income, is to see if she can take out the loan in her name and insure the car in her name. Much cheaper for you that way.

    If you decide to get the car...

    Before racing or doing a burnout just to impress your peers, think about how much the tires, clutch, rearend, driveshaft, and engine parts cost. And how long you will have to work to pay for new ones. Not to mention what a tiny little broken pushrod can do to your engine. When you break something your peers will tell you how bad they feel for you to your face, and then, behind your back, be laughing about it and saying how stupid you were!! They do not care if you break something because you are the only one who has to pay for it!! Parts are not cheap!! High school friends usually are!! If the car looks good and sounds good you will get all the attention you are craving from your peers. After all, they already know what a LS1 WS6 can do! No need, at your own expense, to show them. Just tease them all!! It drives them nuts!!

    Good Luck and please THINK before showing off.

  4. #44
    Member Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    29
    Posts
    197

    silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

    I'm only 2 years older than you, and I've learned a lot from this thread myself. I think you should listen to these people about safety. They're not trying to hurt you, only trying to help. Also if you want a fast car but don't want to spend a lot of money, why don't you look into an eagle talon or eclipse gsx. I understand that you might not like non-domestic vehicles, but at $5,000 you can easily get a car capable of running 11 seconds for about 2k more invested into it.

  5. #45
    sped
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    why don't you look into an eagle talon or eclipse gsx. I understand that you might not like non-domestic vehicles, but at $5,000 you can easily get a car capable of running 11 seconds for about 2k more invested into it.
    I had a friend who went through a phase of just simple obsession with having a fast car, didn't care about anything else so he ended up looking at these things. You can just about buy a small army of FAST talons and eclipses for the price of a 98+ f-body.

  6. #46
    All in time... TransDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OH
    Age
    27
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by sped View Post
    I had a friend who went through a phase of just simple obsession with having a fast car, didn't care about anything else so he ended up looking at these things. You can just about buy a small army of FAST talons and eclipses for the price of a 98+ f-body.
    I would never buy a talon/eclipses lol!

    This thread has made me think alot about buying this damn ws6... i want one so bad. thats like the only reason i work. I think i should be ok though. i am waiting 6 months to buy it, and yes it will be in my mothers name, and on her insurence so it will help alot( but she knows its my ride )

    In 6 months, or before that ( if all goes as planed, which it should ) i will be making over 1k a month around 1,300. ish. i am hoping that should be enough since i looked at some thing on my banks website to caculate loans. My mother doesnt have great credit because of a devoirce in progress. I am guessing i will get a loan around 7-9 %.

    so lets say i get a 10k loan at 9% over 36 months.. the payments will be 318 and insurence will be around 300 aswell(i need to call the insurence bitch to make sure). I should be able to afford it. then i will save for an ls2/ls6 engine one of those it depends. even if i got a loan at 5% the payments would still be around 300 $ just the total interest goes down.

    You guys think this is wise of me? i dont want to wait too long to buy a fast car... and after i am ready to buy one, i will make sure i look around and i wont buy the first one i find.

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    41

    Black
    1998 Camaro SS

    I'm only 18 and am on my second camaro. I have a 95 z28 and a 98 SS, both six speeds. From your posts it seems to me that you want a fast car for the wrong reasons. If you get something like an SS or WS6 you need to know what that car is capable of, and respect it. I know what my cars are capable of, and I leave it at that. 300+ horsepower is very tempting, especially when the road is clear. You need to be very careful when you give in to those urges because you will. Anything can happen, someone can pull out infront of you or you can blow a tire. If you get a car like this just take everyones advice and be careful, these cars can get you in trouble in a hurry.

  8. #48
    All in time... TransDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OH
    Age
    27
    Posts
    85
    You people keep saying i want a ws6 for the wrong reasons?

    You guys buy ls1's for what reasons? to drive slow?

    of corse i know its a fast car, i am not a dumb ass i have been driving for almost a year and i know how to drive safe and when its ok to have some fun with my firebird. i have never goten in a wreck or even close, for something that was my fault.

    I want a ws6 for all the right reasons, not just to race it... i want to show it off, and enjoy it for what it is, a domestic muscle car.

    Btw.. yes i will run it hard when the time comes... thats why you guys all put mods on cars... to drive them fast as hell.

  9. #49
    Member DriveV8Faster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    356
    hey bro, its because your talking about racing all these guys from your school and shit. Once you hit the gas on that WS6 for the first time, I think your gonna be shocked at what kind of power your dealing with. Its just easy to loose control of these cars especially for an inexperienced driver and its just so damn tempting to hit that pedal. I'm not preaching, just saying how it is. I got an LT1 Formula with Bolt-ons, on my 16 birthday. I never crashed it but I had a bunch of close calls in the first year. The temptation is extreme. You feel like the king of the road in these cars. Everyone just wants you to be carefull because we already know how it is with these amazing cars. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

  10. #50
    Not a Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Collegeville (Philly)
    Age
    33
    Posts
    20

    Black
    98 Trans Am M6

    Just cause you'll have a fast car doesn't mean you should drive everywhere fast as hell.

    I can understand how anxious you are, when I was 16 my buddy pulled up to school in his beat ass '84 TA that was half faded red and half primer grey, the car was beat to hell and he could occasionally make it home from school without overheating but man I fell in love with that car and I was determined to get a TA for myself. I'm about 3 weeks away from turning 22 and I just got my '98 TA registered yesterday. It took a while but once I took her out on her maiden voyage it was well worth the wait.

    The fact of the matter is, we're all warning you as such is because based on the facts, teens drive like madmen. I used to do it, up until getting my TA. Let me tell you as excited as I am/was to get it, driving this car is almost intimidating. I've had the car in my possession for about 3 weeks and I haven't opened it up or anything. Hug your car all ya want, but if you don't respect it, it'll hug a tree before it hugs you back!

    Affording it at your age is going to be a pain in the ass. You have no credit, and you say your mom has bad credit. I've had credit cards since I was 18 and I somehow managed to have a very good credit score (around 780...out of 830 or something like that) and I snagged a loan at 8.7% So I would expect something a lot worse for you, probably in the mid to low teens. I have no idea what the insurance will run you, as I never payed for my insurance when I was younger, but right now the insurance on my TA is $180 a month and I can imagine you will pay at least double that. Also bear in mind you'll be using premium gas if you want the best performance. Regular is a no no but mid grade is alright if you can't afford premium. I make about 1300-1500 a month right now which is what you said you'd be making roughly. After budgeting it all out I can afford my car and still have enough money for the rest fo my life but keep in mind all your expenses, as this car will cost you a lot more than it does for me.

    Someone said that you should know how to drive stick before you buy this car...it would probably be ideal, but not entirely neccessary. I learned to drive stick on my TA, and the previous owner said it's a rather tough car to learn on but I didnt have any difficulty with it. I still need a little bit of work but overall I'm good at it. I had the car for two weeks before the bank actually released the title, so I used that time to take it around my neighborhood to get a feel for driving stick. That may be something you'd want to do, drive your bird around for a bit longer while you learn to control your TA better. My car has a catback exhaust on it so I found first gear to be a lot easier than expected since it was very easy to hear the clutch catching.

    Wow I just wrote you a book have fun with that. Yeah you can go fast as hell in a car like that, but only do so when your ready and you can control all that power. Like I said, I'm so amped up to finally own the car of my dreams but even still I'm just a little bit intimidated when I get behind the wheel.

  11. #51
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    41

    Black
    1998 Camaro SS

    I don't think anyone here is saying not to get a car like a WS6, we would all be hypocrites if we said that. We're just telling you how it is. You don't even need to mod the car anyways, they have more than enough power to begin with. Unless you go to a track you can barely use the power these cars have anyways.

  12. #52
    All in time... TransDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OH
    Age
    27
    Posts
    85
    I want this car so bad but the credit thing and loan is what scares me. i may have to wait till i am 18... but i will rob a gas station before i have to wait that long. if i work my ass off for a year i should be able to pay almost cash..

    I know this is a ws6 forum but... how long does it take to earn good credit back? 6 months long enough... i mean damn my mothers isnt in the toiliet but my dad fucked it over with his broke ass. good thing she kicked his ass out of here... sry for my personal life being brought into that... but ya is 6 months of good credit enoguh for me to get an ok loan?

    i want good news!! but hit me with the bad first then finish with the good

  13. #53
    2000pontiac6
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    I would never buy a talon/eclipses lol!

    This thread has made me think alot about buying this damn ws6... i want one so bad. thats like the only reason i work. I think i should be ok though. i am waiting 6 months to buy it, and yes it will be in my mothers name, and on her insurence so it will help alot( but she knows its my ride )

    In 6 months, or before that ( if all goes as planed, which it should ) i will be making over 1k a month around 1,300. ish. i am hoping that should be enough since i looked at some thing on my banks website to caculate loans. My mother doesnt have great credit because of a devoirce in progress. I am guessing i will get a loan around 7-9 %.

    so lets say i get a 10k loan at 9% over 36 months.. the payments will be 318 and insurence will be around 300 aswell(i need to call the insurence bitch to make sure). I should be able to afford it. then i will save for an ls2/ls6 engine one of those it depends. even if i got a loan at 5% the payments would still be around 300 $ just the total interest goes down.

    You guys think this is wise of me? i dont want to wait too long to buy a fast car... and after i am ready to buy one, i will make sure i look around and i wont buy the first one i find.
    Each of your posts I start to think ok maybe I was a little wrong about you and then you go and throw something in about buying and ls2/ls6... I mean damn you havent even been in an LS1 yet thats not enough power for ya man. For most of what you say man I hear ya... and then I think its the parts of your posts like this that are making people give you crap

  14. #54
    2000pontiac6
    Guest
    Also, if your really not sure if youll be able to afford it... maybe just get a newer v6 like I did? You have the looks and can afford it. Instead of always having such a big bill to pay I know my parents always told me to save my money for a house some day hahaha I always laughed at that but hey I guess it makes some sense idk

  15. #55
    Junior Member Ponti-MANIac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    81
    2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    You guys buy ls1's for what reasons? to drive slow?

    of corse i know its a fast car, i am not a dumb ass i have been driving for almost a year and i know how to drive safe and when its ok to have some fun with my firebird. i have never goten in a wreck or even close, for something that was my fault.
    HOLY SHIT... A WHOLE FUCKING YEAR WITH NO ACCIDENTS! DUDE YOU ARE AWESOME! YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD US THAT SOONER THEN WE WOULD HAVE REALIZED YOU ALREADY KNEW EVERYTHING! CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE US FOR BEING SO STUPID?

    ATTENTION EVERYONE:
    We have all made a great effort to help this kid see the light but he has continued to argue and miss the points we have all tried to make. In some cases he has insulted our efforts with comments such as using our vehicles as mini-vans to pick the kids up at school. He confuses responsibility with being a pussy or something. Well.."FUCK YOU" is about all I can think to say in response to that bullshit. If any of us continue beyond this post we are completely wasting our time. You're not going to be the one with the magic words, this kid just can't be reached.

  16. #56
    All in time... TransDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OH
    Age
    27
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponti-MANIac View Post
    HOLY SHIT... A WHOLE FUCKING YEAR WITH NO ACCIDENTS! DUDE YOU ARE AWESOME! YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD US THAT SOONER THEN WE WOULD HAVE REALIZED YOU ALREADY KNEW EVERYTHING! CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE US FOR BEING SO STUPID?

    ATTENTION EVERYONE:
    We have all made a great effort to help this kid see the light but he has continued to argue and miss the points we have all tried to make. In some cases he has insulted our efforts with comments such as using our vehicles as mini-vans to pick the kids up at school. He confuses responsibility with being a pussy or something. Well.."FUCK YOU" is about all I can think to say in response to that bullshit. If any of us continue beyond this post we are completely wasting our time. You're not going to be the one with the magic words, this kid just can't be reached.
    you know, they do have classes for the built up anger you have....

    your the only one to ever bitch on this thread, other give me advice not bitch me out damn grow up that was some immature stuff there buddy.

    i am still learning yes, i know a fraction of what all of you know, thats why i am hear to learn. i am just gathering info, i have learned so much on this forum so far thanks alot.

    anyways i have no idea how much power a ls1 has, your right. i am just looking into the long run engine stuff like an ls2... people have said ls6=ls1 with new cam/heads. so now i am researching ls2's for future references.

    <------Ponti-MANIAC.... a maniac thats for sure http://www.thehappyguy.com/anger-management-tips.html 8 simple ways to control your anger

  17. #57
    Member Thorazine Shuffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    169

    Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    I want this car so bad but the credit thing and loan is what scares me. i may have to wait till i am 18... but i will rob a gas station before i have to wait that long. if i work my ass off for a year i should be able to pay almost cash..

    I know this is a ws6 forum but... how long does it take to earn good credit back? 6 months long enough... i mean damn my mothers isnt in the toiliet but my dad fucked it over with his broke ass. good thing she kicked his ass out of here... sry for my personal life being brought into that... but ya is 6 months of good credit enoguh for me to get an ok loan?

    i want good news!! but hit me with the bad first then finish with the good
    Hey Dude, after you're finished robbing that gas station, let me know where you find a firebird for $128...

  18. #58
    All in time... TransDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OH
    Age
    27
    Posts
    85
    i plan to rob BP they got some good change lol

    But ya man i know i should wait.. i am waiting till im 17, haha but i cant help it. maybe ill chnage my mind before that but i doupt it. i have always been into cars. now that i can finaly get one i will probaly jump on it. but yes i know what u mean about insurence... i will keep my bird before i buy another car. i would rather invest in something i would love to drive..

    and yes i think i would race when ever i had the chance.. i hate to say it but i would.. if i knew it would be safe

    belive me kids ask me to race alot with my bird ( even though its a only a v6)
    i have a few times and i get my ass handed to me. sometimes i pull away with a win... agianst trucks and vans.

  19. #59
    King Louie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    oklahoma
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16

    black
    02 ws6

    transdreamer, i am 18 and i daily drive and 03 regency. i occasionally drive the ws6 or the 69 camaro but like everyone is saying "THE LS1 HAS TO MUCH FOR YOUNG DRIVERS". I am not being a little pussy i am telling you it is flat out dangerous. everyone who pulls up next to you want to race. they know they cant beat you but they wanna see what you got. my truck isnt even that fast but out of stupidity i have raced on the streets and nearly had some bad wrecks happen. wait a while and work your way up to 300 hp

  20. #60
    All in time... TransDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    OH
    Age
    27
    Posts
    85
    u guys act like the ws6 is god... well it is but still i have seen some ws6's get bent over by some 4 bangers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New to Camaro... looking for advice
    By r49740 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 07:26 PM
  2. Advice and Insight On 3rd Gen. Camaro?????
    By DaddysZ28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  3. Dying Camaro...need advice!
    By Rikki_SeVeN in forum General Help
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 07:20 AM
  4. Camaro SS Advice
    By BlownSS in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 07:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •