slim_john

WS6 with volant CAI

does any one have pictures of the volant installed in a ws6 , i want to know how to make sure it is sealing entirely on the hood.

i hope this make sense.

e-mail:jucamacho@utep.edu
    Last edited by slim_john; 11-15-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6

I ran a Volant for about 2 years. Mine sealed completly. A good way to see is to take a small amount of vasoline...then but it around the rubber gasket on the Volant...close your hood. If you see the marks on the top of your hood outlining the Volant...it's sealing properly.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I saw a guy the other day that had one on a 00 WS6 and that is what he used to keep it soft and sealing.

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

sorry i didnt read the bottom post i was gonna ask for pics. My bad.
    Last edited by 1 badblack transam 01; 11-16-2005 at 05:12 PM.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

I have a '00 WS6 and recently installed a Volant CAI. The rubber seal isn't making complete contact with my hood all the way around. I used the chewed gum technique to test for gaps. There's only a couple places making contact: directly over the TB, at each top corner on opposite sides of the TB, and toward the bottom of the seal on the left and right sides (right about where the seal starts to turn down toward the bottom edge of the box).

Tonight, I stopped by Lowe's and picked up a 6' length of foam insulation for 1/2" copper pipes. It only cost $1.67. I lined the stock rubber seal with the foam insulation and cut to fit. I know have a tight seal all the way around the CAI box. It also looks pretty good.

Marc
    Last edited by nytmare; 11-18-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Poctiac Trans Am-A4

Havent put mine on yet. trying to wait until I get my ws6 hood. I would try the aforementioned vaseline trick.

slim_john
    i checked mine with the vaseline technigue that tman suggested, and my does not completely seal, it seals about the same as nytmare.

seals on the back part (where the tube goes thru the back)
    seals on the left and right side (right after the corner)
    no other place make contact.

i will try and take some pic this weekend and try to post them or at least have them if anyone needs some.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by slim_john
    i checked mine with the vaseline technigue that tman suggested, and my does not completely seal, it seals about the same as nytmare.
    I extensively searched this site, LS1Tech and others about the Volant intake prior to getting mine. I didn't find much solid information regarding it's effect on performance other than it would probably work just as well as a lid. There is one guy who made a similar setup (minus the box) for his LS1 and had side by side dyno comparisons showing that his dual cone filter setup made more hp than an aftermarket lid. Between that and the looks... I was hooked!

I did, however, find many posts stating that the Volant box was built to fit the stock non-RamAir hood. I can't recall a post from anyone stating that their Volant box perfectly sealed against a RamAir hood (using the provided rubber seal/gasket). I'm not saying it's not possible... I'm just saying that based on all the posts I read, I don't recall anyone's RamAir hood sealing without thinking outside the box.

Give some of that foam pipe insulation a try. Mine seals all the way around the box. You can even feel it when you push the hood closed.

Marc

slim_john
    i will try it out this weekend, i also reserched and did not find much, but i like the look and i also thought if it does not seal all the way it should not effect it too bad because the k&n kit does not have any way of sealing up.

i'll try it this weekend depending how it looks i may live with it the way it is.

Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Poctiac Trans Am-A4

I dont have a ws6 but just to give you an idea. It's kinda sloppy looking right now because this was a used kit so I need to clean the filters (thats why they are discolored) or replace them and clean off the engine bay fingerprints from me installing it. Then it will look 100 percent better. I ran out of daylight today so I was only able to get this far.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I sealed mine in the front by applying AC foam underneath the hood with double sided tape. No one ever sees under my hood so I don't give a fuck what it looks like under there. With my hood debaffled each nostril feeds directly into a filter. As far as performance on a WS6 hood, the way I look at it is this. The more cold, fresh air you supply the engine, the better. So by sealing it properly and debaffling the hood you are supplying a constant cool supply from in front of the car to the engine.

Thread Information