Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

WS6 and SLP lids...

Does anyone know if theres any real benefit for a WS6 to ket the "full" kit for the SLP Air Lid Kit? I can see the Lid and the belows hose working well enough, but the air filter housing is raised higher on WS6's than other models and it does get some air through the scoops. Plus I dont want to cut into the housing much. Will it be much of a difference in expected power by just using the lid and bellows hose??

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Does anyone know if theres any real benefit for a WS6 to ket the "full" kit for the SLP Air Lid Kit? I can see the Lid and the belows hose working well enough, but the air filter housing is raised higher on WS6's than other models and it does get some air through the scoops. Plus I dont want to cut into the housing much. Will it be much of a difference in expected power by just using the lid and bellows hose??
    Get the Lid,save your money on the rest of it.

The bellows isn't worth a thing.(other than making them rich off your money)

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think if you have the WS6 hood with airlid you are in good shape. There is some claim that aftermarket airlids pick up some horse power but i don't personal experience with it. I seen the WS6 setup in my friend's car and to me is looks good.

Have you done the free air ram mod? its pretty easy and it claims to give you some HP (not a lot but it's free). Your air filter will get alittle dirty more often but is not that bad.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I think if you have the WS6 hood with airlid you are in good shape. There is some claim that aftermarket airlids pick up some horse power but i don't personal experience with it. I seen the WS6 setup in my friend's car and to me is looks good.

Have you done the free air ram mod? its pretty easy and it claims to give you some HP (not a lot but it's free). Your air filter will get alittle dirty more often but is not that bad.
    He doesn't want to cut the box.

"Plus I dont want to cut into the housing much. Will it be much of a difference in expected power by just using the lid and bellows hose??"

Should be 10-15 with the lid,I have seen it at the track in back to back tests.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

i have a regular trans am which we changed to a ram air hood making it functional with the taller ws6 setup and a lid , no difference in the ws6 setup, but big difference with the lid.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    i have a regular trans am which we changed to a ram air hood making it functional with the taller ws6 setup and a lid , no difference in the ws6 setup, but big difference with the lid.
    To make it truely functional don't you have to have a lid that seals to the hood? Otherwise isn't it just for show even if it is functional.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Nice. I couldn't see paying for the full monte on that kit, especially with that peice of stainless so close to the radiator/condenser (ie heat exchangers). I'm not out for "maximum power" just now, want a little more power and better airflow/efficiency and I hate the way that baffle looks (kind of a contradiction for a "Ram Air" system). Now I hafta get the guts up to spend the money (back in school now and not working but a day or two a week). I think the misses will let $160.00 slide for her "honor student". Oh well...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    He doesn't want to cut the box.

"Plus I dont want to cut into the housing much. Will it be much of a difference in expected power by just using the lid and bellows hose??"

Should be 10-15 with the lid,I have seen it at the track in back to back tests.
    lol somehow i miss the cutting part. thanks.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    To make it truely functional don't you have to have a lid that seals to the hood? Otherwise isn't it just for show even if it is functional.
    Even the factory ones don't have a direct seal on them. But they are ducted and have a taller air filter base (than the non Ram Airs, due to clearance, I'm told) . They also have different exhaust too. Between all that is where you get your 15-20 "advertised" horsepower increase.

Black/ Silver

Even the factory ones don't have a direct seal on them. But they are ducted and have a taller air filter base (than the non Ram Airs, due to clearance, I'm told) . They also have different exhaust too. Between all that is where you get your 15-20 "advertised" horsepower increase.
    I wasn't saying they had a direct seal, I was saying to really have ram air you would have to have something like the volant set up. That and I can see why he didn't see much of a difference to switching to the ws6 set up since it wasn't technically true ram air.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    lol somehow i miss the cutting part. thanks.
    No prob

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Nice. I couldn't see paying for the full monte on that kit, especially with that peice of stainless so close to the radiator/condenser (ie heat exchangers). I'm not out for "maximum power" just now, want a little more power and better airflow/efficiency and I hate the way that baffle looks (kind of a contradiction for a "Ram Air" system). Now I hafta get the guts up to spend the money (back in school now and not working but a day or two a week). I think the misses will let $160.00 slide for her "honor student". Oh well...
    $99 for an SLP lid from Summit and I think they ship free.

Don't bother with the bellows its a waste of money.

2001 Trans Am Ws6

I got the SLP lid, MAF from SLP and their bellow.. I love it.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

what is better an SLP lid or going with a volant?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    The Lids a lot cheaper so its better bang for your buck and it also cleans up the front of the engine bay nicely.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    I went with the volant. Mainly because it looks cool but it also flows better than the slp lid.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I went with the volant. Mainly because it looks cool but it also flows better than the slp lid.
    Thanks man, i was wondering which one flowed better, guess I should have worded the question better. Ya I like the way it looks too, wonder if you can get red filters for it.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Well, ordered the SLP lid and bellows. Should see it Tuesday/Wednesday. SHould do some good!

Black/ Silver

Well, ordered the SLP lid and bellows. Should see it Tuesday/Wednesday. SHould do some good!
    Their bellows is over priced imho, I got a fernco coupler from home depot for I think around $20 and it's just as good.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pbguy357 View Post
    I got the SLP lid, MAF from SLP and their bellow.. I love it.
    I will be the one to tell you that maf is doing you more harm than good.
    You are much better off with the stock one

Thread Information