Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

WS6 and SLP lids...

This is a discussion on WS6 and SLP lids... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 Their bellows is over priced imho, I got a fernco coupler from home depot for I ...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Their bellows is over priced imho, I got a fernco coupler from home depot for I think around $20 and it's just as good.
    I understand, and it probably does the job just as well. I just want it to fit right from the begining and that I wont have to screw around making something fit at this time. When I get out of school and get my life back, then I'll start engineering again.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I understand, and it probably does the job just as well. I just want it to fit right from the begining and that I wont have to screw around making something fit at this time. When I get out of school and get my life back, then I'll start engineering again.
    Not sure if I came across as a jerk but that was not my intention. But if you ever get a bigger than stock TB and manifold I would look into getting a 4" coupler. That was the main reason I got the fernco coupler, as the stock one or the slp one would not fit my 101mm TB.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Not sure if I came across as a jerk but that was not my intention. But if you ever get a bigger than stock TB and manifold I would look into getting a 4" coupler. That was the main reason I got the fernco coupler, as the stock one or the slp one would not fit my 101mm TB.
    No, you were fine. ANy other time, I would probably do what you did, but my time is too limited with school, work etc. I just want a "plug and play" kind of thing where I dpn't need to worry about anything. I do aprreciate your input. Thank you.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Okay, got the stuff today, and put it on (SLP lid and bellows), followed the instructions and made sure everything went on right. The only problem I see is that the passenger side of the lid will not close all the way (the clamp wont "click" down). Any ideas??
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 06-11-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Black/ Silver

Okay, got the stuff today, and put it on (SLP lid and bellows), followed the instructions and made sure everything went on right. The only problem I see is that the passenger side of the lid will not close all the way (the clamp wont "click" down). Any ideas??
    Make sure the tabs on the lid are pushed down and into the airbox assembly.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Make sure the tabs on the lid are pushed down and into the airbox assembly.
    Are you talking about the four on the back? I tried, they just wont go in right, almost like something was not aligning

Black/ Silver

Are you talking about the four on the back? I tried, they just wont go in right, almost like something was not aligning
    Yes the 4 in the back. I know when I had the slp lid I had to push those down really hard and push forward and then hold it there while I put the metal clips on.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Took the system off, from the bellow to lid. I had a little gap between the MAF and the lid, so I pressed it in. Got it so both clamps clamped down, so looks like I'm squared away. Did have a little frisght when its stalled out, but then I remembered that I didn't plug back in the connectors for the MAF and IAT.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Took the system off, from the bellow to lid. I had a little gap between the MAF and the lid, so I pressed it in. Got it so both clamps clamped down, so looks like I'm squared away. Did have a little frisght when its stalled out, but then I remembered that I didn't plug back in the connectors for the MAF and IAT.
    Haha, bet that did freak you out :P. Glad its all up and running. Happy?
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Ant71130 View Post
    Haha, bet that did freak you out :P. Glad its all up and running. Happy?
    So far I am, but I've only driven it like 40 miles as of yet. I did think it would be louder than it is, it only starts getting a little louder around 3,500 rpm, so I like that part.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

So far I am, but I've only driven it like 40 miles as of yet. I did think it would be louder than it is, it only starts getting a little louder around 3,500 rpm, so I like that part.
    Noise isn't to really be expected for a lid and bellow. Granted some, as you already said but, just to help breathe. It's not a huge difference in performance on the whole scale but enough to make it financially worth it and certainly looks better in the bay. My car came with a lid, but had camaro SS stickers custom put on? I just scraped it off, painted it, had
    My girl draw something cool and clear coated it haha.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Ant71130 View Post
    Noise isn't to really be expected for a lid and bellow. Granted some, as you already said but, just to help breathe. It's not a huge difference in performance on the whole scale but enough to make it financially worth it and certainly looks better in the bay. My car came with a lid, but had camaro SS stickers custom put on? I just scraped it off, painted it, had
    My girl draw something cool and clear coated it haha.
    The whole noise thing for me was from that GM put that "resonator" between the lid and the MAF. I had the impression it actualy "did something" useful. But we are talking about a car company that uses BOTH Metric and SAE on thier cars.

It does feel "more" drivable. One thing I noticed on the old set-up was that the seal between the lid and resonator had loosened out on the inside, right in the way of airflow as well (I'm sure that didn't help much), so I figure I had a small air "flow" leak AND an obstruction to the airflow.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

The whole noise thing for me was from that GM put that "resonator" between the lid and the MAF. I had the impression it actualy "did something" useful. But we are talking about a car company that uses BOTH Metric and SAE on thier cars.

It does feel "more" drivable. One thing I noticed on the old set-up was that the seal between the lid and resonator had loosened out on the inside, right in the way of airflow as well (I'm sure that didn't help much), so I figure I had a small air "flow" leak AND an obstruction to the airflow.
    The 4th gens are all metric,the 3rd gens were a mix of SAE and Metric.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    This.
    And I get what you're saying. Overall I'm glad you're satisfied with it. I just debaffled the hood yesterday. Now I gotta find some 1" stripping to seal it >.>

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I was just using some "artstic liscense" to comment on some of GM's "genius engineering" decisions.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I was just using some "artstic liscense" to comment on some of GM's "genius engineering" decisions.
    Now a Grand Am or Grand Prix or any of their cousins

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Okay, just looked under the hood today and the passenger side clamp popped off, reclamped it, drove it again and it unclamped itself again. Drivers side stays on just fine.I can't adjust it bacl any more to try to make it fit better. Anyone else run in to this??

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Its a new lid right from SLP?

I know the old style lids were like that,but they redesigned it and use a different molding process now.

Mine fits great.

Did you use a hair dryer to heat it up and put the MAF in?

Is the MAF in far enough?
    Last edited by transamtom; 06-20-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: thought of something

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Its a new lid right from SLP?

I know the old style lids were like that,but they redesigned it and use a different molding process now.

Mine fits great.

Did you use a hair dryer to heat it up and put the MAF in?

Is the MAF in far enough?
    I didnt use a hair dryer to heat it up, but I pressed the lid to the MAF to get it in. I tried heating it up with a hairdryer , but I couldnt get it warm enough and I thought I would melt the plastic.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Okay, just looked under the hood today and the passenger side clamp popped off, reclamped it, drove it again and it unclamped itself again. Drivers side stays on just fine.I can't adjust it bacl any more to try to make it fit better. Anyone else run in to this??

Is the lid set behind the lip of the lower air box? If not, it'll pop clamps and not seal properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information