Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

WS6 and SLP lids...

This is a discussion on WS6 and SLP lids... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Does anyone know if theres any real benefit for a WS6 to ket the "full" kit for the SLP Air ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,329

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    WS6 and SLP lids...

    Does anyone know if theres any real benefit for a WS6 to ket the "full" kit for the SLP Air Lid Kit? I can see the Lid and the belows hose working well enough, but the air filter housing is raised higher on WS6's than other models and it does get some air through the scoops. Plus I dont want to cut into the housing much. Will it be much of a difference in expected power by just using the lid and bellows hose??

  2. #2
    Waiting on the Tree transamtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Niagara Falls Ont.Canada
    Posts
    927

    NBM
    1999 TA A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Does anyone know if theres any real benefit for a WS6 to ket the "full" kit for the SLP Air Lid Kit? I can see the Lid and the belows hose working well enough, but the air filter housing is raised higher on WS6's than other models and it does get some air through the scoops. Plus I dont want to cut into the housing much. Will it be much of a difference in expected power by just using the lid and bellows hose??
    Get the Lid,save your money on the rest of it.

    The bellows isn't worth a thing.(other than making them rich off your money)

  3. #3
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    I think if you have the WS6 hood with airlid you are in good shape. There is some claim that aftermarket airlids pick up some horse power but i don't personal experience with it. I seen the WS6 setup in my friend's car and to me is looks good.

    Have you done the free air ram mod? its pretty easy and it claims to give you some HP (not a lot but it's free). Your air filter will get alittle dirty more often but is not that bad.

  4. #4
    Waiting on the Tree transamtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Niagara Falls Ont.Canada
    Posts
    927

    NBM
    1999 TA A4

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I think if you have the WS6 hood with airlid you are in good shape. There is some claim that aftermarket airlids pick up some horse power but i don't personal experience with it. I seen the WS6 setup in my friend's car and to me is looks good.

    Have you done the free air ram mod? its pretty easy and it claims to give you some HP (not a lot but it's free). Your air filter will get alittle dirty more often but is not that bad.
    He doesn't want to cut the box.

    "Plus I dont want to cut into the housing much. Will it be much of a difference in expected power by just using the lid and bellows hose??"

    Should be 10-15 with the lid,I have seen it at the track in back to back tests.

  5. #5
    now greybat66
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    bloomfield nj
    Posts
    481

    navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

    i have a regular trans am which we changed to a ram air hood making it functional with the taller ws6 setup and a lid , no difference in the ws6 setup, but big difference with the lid.

  6. #6
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    i have a regular trans am which we changed to a ram air hood making it functional with the taller ws6 setup and a lid , no difference in the ws6 setup, but big difference with the lid.
    To make it truely functional don't you have to have a lid that seals to the hood? Otherwise isn't it just for show even if it is functional.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,329

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Nice. I couldn't see paying for the full monte on that kit, especially with that peice of stainless so close to the radiator/condenser (ie heat exchangers). I'm not out for "maximum power" just now, want a little more power and better airflow/efficiency and I hate the way that baffle looks (kind of a contradiction for a "Ram Air" system). Now I hafta get the guts up to spend the money (back in school now and not working but a day or two a week). I think the misses will let $160.00 slide for her "honor student". Oh well...

  8. #8
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    He doesn't want to cut the box.

    "Plus I dont want to cut into the housing much. Will it be much of a difference in expected power by just using the lid and bellows hose??"

    Should be 10-15 with the lid,I have seen it at the track in back to back tests.
    lol somehow i miss the cutting part. thanks.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,329

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    To make it truely functional don't you have to have a lid that seals to the hood? Otherwise isn't it just for show even if it is functional.
    Even the factory ones don't have a direct seal on them. But they are ducted and have a taller air filter base (than the non Ram Airs, due to clearance, I'm told) . They also have different exhaust too. Between all that is where you get your 15-20 "advertised" horsepower increase.

  10. #10
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Even the factory ones don't have a direct seal on them. But they are ducted and have a taller air filter base (than the non Ram Airs, due to clearance, I'm told) . They also have different exhaust too. Between all that is where you get your 15-20 "advertised" horsepower increase.
    I wasn't saying they had a direct seal, I was saying to really have ram air you would have to have something like the volant set up. That and I can see why he didn't see much of a difference to switching to the ws6 set up since it wasn't technically true ram air.

  11. #11
    Waiting on the Tree transamtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Niagara Falls Ont.Canada
    Posts
    927

    NBM
    1999 TA A4

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    lol somehow i miss the cutting part. thanks.
    No prob

  12. #12
    Waiting on the Tree transamtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Niagara Falls Ont.Canada
    Posts
    927

    NBM
    1999 TA A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Nice. I couldn't see paying for the full monte on that kit, especially with that peice of stainless so close to the radiator/condenser (ie heat exchangers). I'm not out for "maximum power" just now, want a little more power and better airflow/efficiency and I hate the way that baffle looks (kind of a contradiction for a "Ram Air" system). Now I hafta get the guts up to spend the money (back in school now and not working but a day or two a week). I think the misses will let $160.00 slide for her "honor student". Oh well...
    $99 for an SLP lid from Summit and I think they ship free.

    Don't bother with the bellows its a waste of money.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    106
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

    I got the SLP lid, MAF from SLP and their bellow.. I love it.

  14. #14
    Member MudStainKILLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stateside
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

    what is better an SLP lid or going with a volant?

  15. #15
    Waiting on the Tree transamtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Niagara Falls Ont.Canada
    Posts
    927

    NBM
    1999 TA A4

    Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    what is better an SLP lid or going with a volant?
    The Lids a lot cheaper so its better bang for your buck and it also cleans up the front of the engine bay nicely.

  16. #16
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    what is better an SLP lid or going with a volant?
    I went with the volant. Mainly because it looks cool but it also flows better than the slp lid.

  17. #17
    Member MudStainKILLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stateside
    Posts
    468

    Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I went with the volant. Mainly because it looks cool but it also flows better than the slp lid.
    Thanks man, i was wondering which one flowed better, guess I should have worded the question better. Ya I like the way it looks too, wonder if you can get red filters for it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,329

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Well, ordered the SLP lid and bellows. Should see it Tuesday/Wednesday. SHould do some good!

  19. #19
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Well, ordered the SLP lid and bellows. Should see it Tuesday/Wednesday. SHould do some good!
    Their bellows is over priced imho, I got a fernco coupler from home depot for I think around $20 and it's just as good.

  20. #20
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by pbguy357 View Post
    I got the SLP lid, MAF from SLP and their bellow.. I love it.
    I will be the one to tell you that maf is doing you more harm than good.
    You are much better off with the stock one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. air lids
    By ultra_badass in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
  2. SLP Air Lids
    By FRCBobby in forum Sales and Group Purchases from our Great Sponsors!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
  3. Air Lids
    By Sublime35 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 11:21 AM
  4. 3 Different Air-Lids F/S....
    By Ramairgod in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 10:17 PM
  5. Lids
    By RYDER661 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 11:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •