WS6 Operating temp

This is a discussion on WS6 Operating temp within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was sitting in traffic yesterday and noticed the temp gauge heading up to 210 and slightly beyond. The outside ...

South Elgin, IL

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS6 Vert

WS6 Operating temp

I was sitting in traffic yesterday and noticed the temp gauge heading up to 210 and slightly beyond. The outside temp was 85 and I had the top down. Started driving and it fell to about 200-205. What is a safe temp? Just checking on this in case I need to replace the drain the coolant (no telling how old it is) and the stat.

In the classic car world of where I most of my experience, 210 is way too high. Not sure about these modern engines though.

Nashville, TN

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

Thats assuming your temp gauge is accurate...I know mine is usually off a little bit and so is my oil pressure. In a lot of cases when the engine is showing 210 I have seen it be higher than that with an accurate gauge...normal is anywhere in the neighborhood of 195-230ish. If I remember correctly the OEM low fan turn on temp is 226 and high fan is 235.

Branchville, NJ

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Aluminum engines can handle more heat than iron blocks because they dispurse the heat fasted and this helps save gaskets. You problem sounds like a clogged radiator, I do not mean inside but outside. Take your radiator out and hold it up to the sun or a strong light and it is most likely clogged. With any luck you can power wash it to remove the dirt from the cooling fins and reinstall it. I would put in a new 195 deg.thermostat and new dex coolant. Also, check your belts and hoses as well. You should be set for summer driving.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information