ws6 or not

This is a discussion on ws6 or not within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i stopped by a dealer ship to day cause i saw a trans am on the lot. i pull up ...

red
    98 trans am

ws6 or not

i stopped by a dealer ship to day cause i saw a trans am on the lot. i pull up and see ram air hood ws6 wheels, got to looking around it had the ws6 badge and 6 speed shifter white, but what was weird was the mph said 120. the car is a 2000 did gm change the cluster? what do you think? is it a v6 dressed up like a ws6 ta?

mystic
    95 LS, yes it says LS

Check the bump stops on the rear wheels. WS6 had the spacer for the 17" wheels and many ppl dont spend the money to do this part of the clone.

00 ls1

if it says 120 its most likely a v6*

better info from Justinmc978 below
    Last edited by Justinn; 03-06-2011 at 12:21 PM.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by johnny 5 View Post
    i stopped by a dealer ship to day cause i saw a trans am on the lot. i pull up and see ram air hood ws6 wheels, got to looking around it had the ws6 badge and 6 speed shifter white, but what was weird was the mph said 120. the car is a 2000 did gm change the cluster? what do you think? is it a v6 dressed up like a ws6 ta?
    all V8/LS1 cars had a 150mph gauge cluster, not just WS6s. if it was actually a six speed then it is an LS1 car.

more than likely the gauge cluster was swapped out, I've seen it done before because people dont know any better.

once you have established it is a V8, then the only sure way to tell that is a WS6 is to look at the RPO sticker on the door, it hould have 'WS6' listed among other codes like 'LS1' and 'Y82'

white
    1998 Trans Am

you could just check the RPO code on the inside of the drivers door..

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Write down the VIN then go to http://www.compnine.com/ . Click on Research then Vin Decoder and you'll see what the car was originally.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Write down the VIN then go to http://www.compnine.com/ . Click on Research then Vin Decoder and you'll see what the car was originally.
    that site does not work all of the time.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

you're gonna have to check the RPO codes or run a vin check. that's the only way to really know what it was from the factory.

I've seen good Z28 and WS6 clones with 3.8's under the hood and a 120MPH speedo. The speedo normally doesn't get swapped. I always assumed they hooked up differently, but I couldn't tell you otherwise. The big thing is it's illegal to swap your speedo since your mileage is stored in the motherboard. It is also illegal to hack those things to change your mileage (obviously).

Now vice versa... I know of at least one case where a friend blew the LS1 up in his Z28 and could only afford a junk 3.8 to put back in it. I figure to get the thing tuned to run right would equal out the cost of finding a used LS1 and putting it back in the car... it wasn't the route he decided to go though.

I would just go back when they were open and ask if I could take a look at the car if you're that interested. Then you could mooch a cup of coffee off them from the showroom while you're at it. After a visual inspection in and out I'm sure you would find the answers to all your questions.

Thread Information