Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ws6--->ls6?

Ws6--->ls6?

I know stock, the ws6 has a ls1 engine with the 320 stock hp.i was wondering if it is possible to fit an ls6 enigne with the 405 stock hp in it? I looked it up and havent found any good information and this forum has helped me out so much so far. from what i have gathered is you can get a ls6 for around 4,500 dollars and i am guessing it will cost another 1k to install it. Is this a good investment?

i was planing to just buy a stock ws6 and then put mods on it from there.. but now i think ( if this is possible) to just buy a stock ws6, drive it for about 6 months till i save enough to put an ls6 into it.

Also how hard is it to get a hold of these engines? like do i just order one...
    I would like your guys options on this, and also what mods can i put on an ls1 and transfer them to an ls6 pretty easy? so i have some more hp before i buy an ls6

and yes i know i dont own a trans-am yet, but i want to gather as much info as possible... thanks agian

flat black
    no...not a wise investment...late 2001 and all 2002 utilize the LS6 block and intake, but they retain the LS1 head configuration...get a decent set of heads, intake, and exhaust, and a tune and you will be well over 405 hp for less money than a stock LS6

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

actually, a very wise investment because the 98 LS1 blocks were not very efficient compared to a 01-02. I did an LS6 swap a few years ago and glad I did. But if you were to go all out with a swap, look into an LS2.

How is an Ls2 better than an Ls6? and i want to invest my money for something in the long run. I dont care if its more expensive to get the 405hp with a new engine. cause after i have it, and i will have lots of other mod possiblitys to get another 100 hp out of it. If i keep the ls1 with mods it wont be as fast as an ls6 with mods.

i still want to know how hard it is to get an ls6, and mods i can put on an ls1 that wont have to be taken down when i swap engines.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

16 year olds with ls1's don't need to go faster, but once you can afford it:

getting an ls6 or an ls2 is throwing too much money at the solution b/c you'll end up modding them anyway. mod the engine you have instead of buying an all stock, restricted engine from GM then modding that.

get a cam, get bigger heads, get full exhaust work and you'll out perform a stock ls6 or ls2 for the same money it would cost to get one of those engines.

don't just spend money to spend money.

I know a stock ls6 vs a moded ls1, the moded ls1 would win, but i am looking at the long run... a moded ls6 vs a moded ls1... a ls6 would win, and a ls6 has more hp stock which would equal more hp moded... correct me if i am wrong, i am trying to find out. i know it would cost alot, but in the longgg run it would pay off to be the faster car.

Anyone understand what i am trying to get at?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

No way would I go to all that trouble and drop an LS6 in. If I were pulling that motor I would stroke it and call it good.

Yes, it would be alot of trouble, but imagine the gains. I would have 405 bone stock hp to play with, compared to 320. Its that simple.

I would like to know if this set up would work... please more input

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    I know a stock ls6 vs a moded ls1, the moded ls1 would win, but i am looking at the long run... a moded ls6 vs a moded ls1... a ls6 would win, and a ls6 has more hp stock which would equal more hp moded
    I don't agree with that. The ls1 and ls6 are both 5.7's...the main reason the ls6 has 55hp over a ls1 is the cam/heads. So once you swap those out for a bigger cam/better heads on either one it'll depend on which block has the better/more aggressive combo. Now the ls2 is a 6.0 so you're starting with more displacement and that is a advantage over either ls1/ls6.

Just mod the ls1...there's some good h/c packages for 2k

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Yes, it would be alot of trouble, but imagine the gains. I would have 405 bone stock hp to play with, compared to 320. Its that simple.
    Refer to my other post

Dreaming of an LS1 senior gomez's Avatar

Teal
    91 teg (stock,notmodding)

psh, ls7 all the way man! haha good luck with that. i agree with the other guys, unless you have money to just toss out everywhere, btw i could use about 8 grand if so, stroke it, and build it to absolute shit, forged pistons, cam, heads, port TB, hell put a 100 shot of n2o, magnacharge or turbo the bastard if you have anything left over. ls1's are good for more than enough power for a teenager (being one myself)

or look at um, help me out guys, that guy with the black transam w/ the 402 and motor built to the mo-fuckin gills, DAMN I WANT THAT CAR haha

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

fuk it just get an ls9 hahah
    Victor
    2000 z28 A4
    2002 Formula Firehawk M6

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by senior gomez View Post
    or look at um, help me out guys, that guy with the black transam w/ the 402 and motor built to the mo-fuckin gills, DAMN I WANT THAT CAR haha
    that's Mr. Luos; he has an lq9 [escalade engine]

whoever started this: i know what yer thinking "i can say i have the better engine." dude; it doesn't matter for shit. that's lame highschool crap and doesn't work in the real world of cars. You'll gain a shit load of respect for modding your current engine [which shares almost 80% of the same characteristics of the ls2/6] and blowing the doors off a stock or lightly modded car.

once agian, don't spend your money, just b/c you can.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My name in another thread.

Getting an LS6 is basicly wasting money. Not because it isn't a good motor or because it doesn't have advantages over the LS1.
    But because it is simply not cost effective.
    Many better ways to make power with the stock LS1.

TransDreamer, forget about the LS6. Its a bad idea. Just do heads/cam/bolt-ons for your stock LS1 and you will have about 410hp at the rear wheels. This would probably cost less that buying a stock LS6 with 405 at the crank.

Ok let me see if i get this right, if i put new heads/cams/bolt ons the ls1 engine will be the same as an ls6 for cheaper?

And to the person that said they could use 8k... i am paying for this all myself you stupid lazy shit. i dont get money from my mother. i work my ass off to pay for things.

i wanted to know if it was a smart investment in the LONGRUN. an ls6 with new heads/cams/bolt ons would be faster than a ls1 with all those?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Wait....01-02 WS6's all came with the LS6 intake manifold and up to 25% of the 02 models came with the LS6 block due to an overabundence of them. GM didn't want to build more LS1s so instead started intalling the LS6 in. Also, during these years, the hp rating is way underrated. The 02 models are putting around 315 hp to the rear wheels.....that's approx 370 hp at the flywheel. If you buy an late model WS6, do some research and find out what block your running. Don't go blow your wad on a LS6 engine if ya already have one. That would just be dumb.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yep.. haven't looked to see if I have the LS6 block yet or not... but being pure stock and in auto form.. dynoed at 306/323 STOCK.. which is roughly (figuring 18% driveline loss) 375flywheel hp. Do as everyone else said.. look into bolt ons/cam/etc and you will outperform an LS6 for the money hands down. If you dump 4600 into your stock ls1.. you'll be pushing some really good numbers.. as long as you worry about supporting mods like suspension.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Ok let me see if i get this right, if i put new heads/cams/bolt ons the ls1 engine will be the same as an ls6 for cheaper?

And to the person that said they could use 8k... i am paying for this all myself you stupid lazy shit. i dont get money from my mother. i work my ass off to pay for things.

i wanted to know if it was a smart investment in the LONGRUN. an ls6 with new heads/cams/bolt ons would be faster than a ls1 with all those?
    If you do heads/cam/bolt ons for an LS1 it will be way faster than an LS6. Put it this way, with 410rwhp on that LS1, thats about 475hp at the crank, where as the LS6 has 405 at the crank and around 350rwhp. Get it now?

I doubt an LS6 with these mods would outperform the LS1. We are talking about a difference of maybe 10rwhp if any.

Also, you should chill with the name calling if you want to be a member here for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by fbodylover4ever View Post
    If you do heads/cam/bolt ons for an LS1 it will be way faster than an LS6. Put it this way, with 410rwhp on that LS1, thats about 475hp at the crank, where as the LS6 has 405 at the crank and around 350rwhp. Get it now?

I doubt an LS6 with these mods would outperform the LS1. We are talking about a difference of maybe 10rwhp if any.

Also, you should chill with the name calling if you want to be a member here for a long time.
    u said 410rwhp on ls1? thats with all the mods head/cam/bolt on...

ls6 has 405 all stock, so with head/cam/bolt on you would think the ls6 would be way faster

tell me if i mis-read that because i know for a fact that an ls1 doesnt have 410 rwhp at the crank. its 320. and i also know a ls6 has 405 at the crank.

i dont mean to be an ass lol but i dont think you guys understand what im asking

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information