Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ws6--->ls6?

This is a discussion on Ws6--->ls6? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by oneBADDz Hell, I can spray and beat Luos Very true. 125 shot would get you past me....barely....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    Hell, I can spray and beat Luos
    Very true.
    125 shot would get you past me....barely.

Firestorm Red
    1993 Stealth ES

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    ls1 moded vs ls2 moded

who wins? ----->

the anwser will be my goal in engines....
    Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    505 crank
    Get the LS7!!!

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by EStealth View Post
    Get the LS7!!!
    If you have $15k laying around and have enough to pay for install & tune. If not, build the LS1...build the LS1...build the LS1...build the LS1...(fading)

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I have an incrediable urge to build an LS1 all of a sudden... <thinks> Hmm... <shrugs and walks away>
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Firestorm Red
    1993 Stealth ES

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    If you have $15k laying around and have enough to pay for install & tune. If not, build the LS1...build the LS1...build the LS1...build the LS1...(fading)
    Why not get the LS2 and build that? It has more displacement.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Because the LS1 comes with the car, and the LS2 is an additional $5000+ install, tune, and headaches. That well over $5000 would buy loads of bolt ons that would outperform the LS2 for less $$$. Also most of the LS1 mods would work with the LS2 or LS7 if upgraded later...

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

A LS2 crate motor is 440HP and 412FT/LBS (at the crank). After losing at least 13% to the rear wheels, that would put it at about 382rwhp for well over $5000.

LS1 F-Bodies will put down about 300rwhp stock. Add a set of headers ($500), dual exhaust ($500, depending on your local shops), air box lid ($100), port the throttle body ($0 if you do it yourself), upgrade the heads ($1500-2500, depending on what you choose), cam ($350) and intake ($750) and still have money in the bank to get it tuned. You'll put down in the neighborhood of 450rwhp for the same amount of money, and be able to tell people you smoked them with a LS1 350 .

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

^^^^Agreed.

It is all on what you want to do.

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

IMO Just drive what you have make no mods, save some bucks, sell the LS1 and buy a LS2/computer out of a wreacked 6.0 LS2 GTO and mod that motor...

black
    2000 trans am ws6

id say save the money if u want a fast car and buy an older z06. you will be able to find them for the same price as buying a trans am and buying a new enigine. maybe a little more.. but still. its a z06

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

The LS1 black and the LS6 block are almost identical with exception with some routing of water jackets and some other trivial things like that. The Major difference is in the factory heads and cam. if you took the cam out of the LS6 as well as the heads and placed them on a LS1 you would virtually have a LS6. So getting a LS6 and modding it further up would be the same as getting the SAME parts you would have and putting them on a LS1....

alright lets recap cause i think things got confusing again... Lets say you have a LS6 and a LS1 full engines right next to each other.... OK you look at the LS6 and say I am going goto put a bigger cam(cam only for ease of reading) in this thing to get MORE HP out of it.....

Here comes the easy part. you can stuff that MONSTER CAM into the LS1 as well and get exactly the same HP rating you would with the LS6.(I know i am not accounting for the better flowing heads but lets keep it simple here)

So you would see a HUGE HP increase in the LS1 and not as big of an increase in the LS6 but they would both be rated at the same HP.

LS1 stock 350HP ---- With CAM -----> (imaginary number) 500HP
    LS6 stock 405HP ---- With CAM -----> (see above*****) 500HP

So the LS1 sees a larger increase but they end up the same

This same theory applies in CONJUNCTION with the LS6 cylinder heads because they are ported better in STOCK form than the LS1's stock heads.

Now the LS6 has better flowing heads in stock form so you have to take that into account... but i think you get the idea

I hope i didn't butcher it all up but maybe someone else can explain it even better than what i can....

... ... .... Sarge??? ??? ??? ??

Also for you viewing pleasure
    http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/GMPerfor...l.jsp?engine=2

EDIT: didn't realize there was 4 pages of posts when i posted so i am sure this has been covered well enough... I've been up too much losing my mind so i didn't see the other pages and replaied to the first page
    Last edited by Phlash_riot; 10-23-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Firestorm Red
    1993 Stealth ES

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Because the LS1 comes with the car, and the LS2 is an additional $5000+ install, tune, and headaches. That well over $5000 would buy loads of bolt ons that would outperform the LS2 for less $$$. Also most of the LS1 mods would work with the LS2 or LS7 if upgraded later...
    Well he said in the long run. So he could either drop an LS2 and upgrade it with the LS1 mods, or even drop and LS7 (if he has the money) and do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00 View Post
    id say save the money if u want a fast car and buy an older z06. you will be able to find them for the same price as buying a trans am and buying a new enigine. maybe a little more.. but still. its a z06
    I'd much rather have a WS6 Trans Am, than a ZO6. The WS6 just looks more aggressive.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I have a LS6 in my 99 t/a...

i got sick of getting bum LS1's (i swear i got every junker that came off the line)

i talked to Gene Culley from Fred beans and orderred a LS6 ( Cheaper than another LS1, and cheaper than a LS2 )

i had Phoenix motor sports in Palm PA drop it in for me.

Brian Herter Dyno Tuned my car and i put down

387.8 Rwhp & 383.4 Rwtq with only Slp air lid and Slp Loud mouth cat back exhaust.

i want to get headers to bump me to 400 rwhp and a cam to get me to 450 or so...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Friend is looking to cam his 2002 Z06.
    Bone stock it made 370 RWHP.
    He is looking for 410 RWHP after cam and full exhaust.

You gain less with the LS6 than the LS1 with similiar mods. Because the LS6 is basicly an H/C LS1 already.

CETA Yellow
    2002 WS6 CETA

How do you know if your TA was one of the fortunate ones to recieve the ls6 block??

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i basically have my motor converted to LS6 in my 02. i have the cam out of a low-mile 04 Z06 and brand new factory ls6 heads that were mildly ported before we put them on, along with stiffer valve springs etc. i havent dynoed yet, but i'm hoping somewhere 370+. other mods to support this are Flowmaster catback, mti lid w/ K&N, Shaner S3 ported Th body, SLP smooth bellow. it runs pretty strong, i love it. i basically wanted something thats reliable / streetable but alittle faster than stock. i want to get headers soon too. i'm thinking headers should put me in the upper 380s on the dyno...guess i'll have to see.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I agree. Start small and build from there. Work with th LS1.I sold a stock LT1 to a 16 year old that was perfect for 4 years and he wrapped it around a phone poll in 3 months.Too much power.Your LS1 will have plenty of power and it only gets better as you mod. In the long run, you still have a LS1 and it is going to hold it own for many years.It's a solid motor.Just out of curiosity, have you checked your insurance for this car.Last I checked, it will be another car payment for a youn guy. That will be something to consider also if money is an object.You have got alot to think about.Listen to these guys and start small.Don't forget this, the more you build the more chance you have to break.$$$$$Good luck .

White
    98 WS6 Ram Air Formula

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    bout time someone said that lol

i can understand the concern for me being only 16, but he said it perfect... it was just a tech question
    I understand that I am as well a junior member but I have recently come to realize, with the help and enlightenment of all who reside here, that just because you have 400+ Hp in the engine doesnt mean all that power is gonna hit the ground... I'd have to say stock with the stock enigne, it has a lot of potential... reinforce what you need too (the rear is gonna go first with too much HP) and then think about dropping a new engine into the car when you feel its reached its "Peak" but by the time you reach that point you'll have no need for a more beefy engine. Oh, and also... 16 and not concerned with money? We are all concerned with money, the more bang for your buck the happier you'll be and the more you can put into your car to better familiarize yourself with it. Trust me, the first time you spin the tires and hear the skreetch of them not gripping the road, then your car slides left or right, i know you will panic. I guess what i'm trying to get across through this rant is... your young, get to know your car before you start pumping anything into it.

Black
    1998 Trans-Am

everyone understands

everyone understands but an ls6 block isnt very dif from a ls1 and it has the same displacement so by putting heads on it would be the same as doing a heads on an ls1, the dif is the heads and cam are already upgraded your not listening to people

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information