Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ws6--->ls6?

This is a discussion on Ws6--->ls6? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; yes I said 410rwhp with heads/cam/bolt ons, that translates to 475 at the crank Maybe you dont know what rwhp ...

yes I said 410rwhp with heads/cam/bolt ons, that translates to 475 at the crank

Maybe you dont know what rwhp is. That is rear wheel horse power. The factory tells you crank horse power, which is always about 16% higher than rear wheel. The 405hp of the LS6 is at the crank NOT rear wheels. It actually has about 350 rear wheel.

Believe me, we understand what your asking, but I think you don't understand some of these terms correctly.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You just aren't 100% getting it here.

The LS6 is basicly the same as the LS1 aside from heads/cam.
    There are subtle differences in the block that make the LS6 block a slightly better block to have.
    If you put the same heads/cam on the LS6 or LS1 block your power numbers will be VERY similiar.

Most head/cam combos these days for the LS1 are much better than the stock LS6 head/cam.

Ok, i think i get it

Ls1 with new heads and cams would be faster than an ls6

Ls6 with same headers and cams as Ls1 would be almost equal.

If that is what your saying, then is there any other engine to put in an ws6... like would an Ls2 be worth it with the 6.0l engine?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

If you want to go big...
    There are LS2 or LQ9 402ci set-ups. You use LSx heads/cam/intake.

The LS1 and the LS6 are both 346ci motors. That is why they both make basicly the same power when you start changing the cam and heads.

Prices for ls2? anyone or a good link, google seems to hate me.

any opions on the ls2 engine anyone?

ci=cubic inches?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Correct on the ci equally cubic inches.

I got my LQ9 402ci from Texas Speed. www.Texas-Speed.com
    They carry the LS2 402ci as well.
    LQ9 = iron block (bit cheaper)
    LS2 - aluminum block

Check out our sponsors here as well. Sarge had his motor built by one of them (Nelson sounds right, but I am not 100% on that) and his runs STRONG!!!

It all depends on what you want.
    What car are we talking about and what kinda power are you looking for? Street or strip?
    I don't recommend a stroker as a first mod. The LS1 is a very strong motor and plenty of guys are making 430 RWHP with them without boost/spray.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

I want something to be fast on the street and strip.. does it matter, isnt horsepower just horsepower>? and i want to invest big in this ws6 so i want to best like the 406ci egnine.. but if i got one you have to order like all the parts seperate? like the block/cylinders/all the stuff?

What would be a general price for the full engine.. and i would have to have in installed professionaly cause i would have no clue how to build an egine.( unless they r like big ****ing legos that i can just click together than turn the key)

also how many horses does a ls2 put out?

and is this a smart investment for speed?

TransDreamer, with the way your talking I hope you have $15,000 for mods(not including the price of the car).

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Speed costs money. If you've got the money, keep your LS1 and add a supercharger. You'd gain more power than changing to an LS6, and still have room for bolt on mods.

The best thing to do is start small, with the easy stuff and move to the bigger stuff as you can afford it. Start with your basic rules, and upgrade the air intake (air box lid, port/polish or upgrade throttle body, etc) then move to the exhaust system (headers, duals, larger pipes, etc). When you're done with the intake and exhaust systems, move to the braking, traction and suspension to help you stop that new power and get it to the ground. After the bolt ons are done, move to internal components (cam, heads, etc) and computer tuning.

Adding power more slowly allows you to pay for everything as you get it, and will allow you to adjust to the car's new performance. Allowing adjustment time, especially at 16, will make you a more effective driver. A lot of races come down to the driver's ability to handle the car, not just the car itself.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

#1 you need to understand the difference between rwhp and hp. The LS6 has 405hp at the flywheel, so I'd say 350-360 rwhp. so when people say 430rwhp with a heads/cam LS1 we're talking almost 100 mor than an LS6, not 25
    #2 An LS6 is just a heads/cam LS1, not really a whole different engine.

If you want an LS6, get LS6 heads/cam and put them on your LS1, voila you have an LS6. If you are going to get heads/cam anyways, you can get better than LS6 for cheaper, so you win both ways, in power and price. Considering you are willing to soend so much on an LS6, you can get the beast heads out there (AFR in my opinion) and a good cam , headers, FAST intake, and pullies and have a SCREAMING LS1 for the same money

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I have ls6 block when I get my 5000 dollar bonus in December,look out cam and heads!!! WOOT WOOT!! Thanks for info, +subframe connecters.any other suggestions guys.

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Hey TransDreamer, youre 16 right? Get your TA, chill on the mods first till you have some practice behind the wheel. Second, save for college because believe me college is expensive, and then after youre done hey go all at it because just as you stated " It is for the long run" correct?
    Victor
    2000 z28 A4
    2002 Formula Firehawk M6

yellow
    2002 CETA

Just get the car first then drive it and mod it out a little at a time. I wouldn't go buying a new motor until your old one is toast. I do not know many people that pull good motors out to put in faster ones unless they are very serious racers and have loads of extra money. Most people just wait until they blow the engine then buy a new one. You could see if any mods you buy now would bolt up to an LS2 or LS6 so if that happens you will have some options. You are doing the right thing by asking questions here because these guys know their stuff. Hopefully someday you will be giving out advice on all of your experiences with your car. Good luck to ya!

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by mr.yellow View Post
    Just get the car first then drive it and mod it out a little at a time. I wouldn't go buying a new motor until your old one is toast. I do not know many people that pull good motors out to put in faster ones unless they are very serious racers and have loads of extra money. Most people just wait until they blow the engine then buy a new one. You could see if any mods you buy now would bolt up to an LS2 or LS6 so if that happens you will have some options. You are doing the right thing by asking questions here because these guys know their stuff. Hopefully someday you will be giving out advice on all of your experiences with your car. Good luck to ya!
    Dude, I wanna see more pics of your car with that tanneau cover. I don't think I've seen but one vert ceta in person.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    does it matter, isnt horsepower just horsepower?
    No. Horsepower isn't just horsepower. Torque is what you're looking for. Hence the old saying that there is no replacement for displacement. Larger cubic inch motors generally make more torque. If you're looking for a better base than a LS1 to start with, don't look at 350s. Look at 400s or big blocks.

If you want speed, you have to first decide how fast you want to go and how fast you want to get there. Modded LS1s will take most cars on the street. You can get 400HP to the rear wheels pretty easily. If you're wanting to go to the track and money is not a problem, get a big block before you mod the small block.

Look at specifications in car mags (or Google them) on new sports cars. The best ones are generally somewhere in the 13s in the quarter. LS1s are right there too. Modified LS1s will get you into the 12s. 12s are plenty for most people on the street. 10 second cars are generally not daily drivers, 12 second cars are. Pick a goal, make it realistic, and go for it.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

call me crazy, but aren't they all small blocks?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Chevy makes big and small blocks. The ones mentioned in this thread may be small blocks, but if money is no object and track performance is the goal you can't beat a big block's torque.

I am paying for this myself. so money is a object.

I have been looking at the big block l2s 402 cc or 401 cc one of those. they are 5.5k without the Pulley, belt, powersteering pump, air conditioning pump, starter, alternator and engine cover. i would have to get in instaled most likely for about another 1k i would guess. thats 6 or 7k i could invest to a new block. before i do this i want a new lid/catback/exhaust... maybe headers if it is easy to transfer them to a new engine.

What do you guys think about that investment? i would drive the ws6 stock for a while and add the simple bolt-ons slowly then drop the ls2 into it then go interanl with new cams/heads....

that sound good? i mean is there a big dif in the 346cc and 401cc? would i get good gains? i mean for the "longrun" i plan to keep this car till i die.(probally driving it lol...jk)

opions please

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Chevy makes big and small blocks. The ones mentioned in this thread may be small blocks, but if money is no object and track performance is the goal you can't beat a big block's torque.
    I'm saying LS2 and the such are all small blocks. I've even heard the LS7 is a small block but I don't know about that one

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

First off, the mods you are talking about are going to cost you more than you'll pay for the car. If you have that kind of $$$ I would suggest a new GTO Or a used Z06...

Second, even if your car puts out 5000 HP, it still won't be fast if you don't know how to drive it.

Finaly, At sixteen any LS1 is gonna be plenty of HP. No mods needed...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information