Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WS6 hood help

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

WS6 hood help

Hi guys.

I've been a member here since '98 but hardly ever post anymore.

Unfortunately, now I have problems.
    Last night on the way home from work in my '99 WS6 a large buck had the audacity to leap in from of me.
    I slammed him at about 50 mph. The nose clipped his legs and the headlights snagged him and bounced him up and over the fender.

I actually got quite lucky. Both headlight assemblies are completely wasted but there is no apparent damage to the quarter panels or front fascia. There is some damage to the hood where the left headlight door folded back into it.

My questions are, is there any chance OEM hoods are still available? If not who makes the best OEM replica replacement? What should be avoided?

Man! 13 years without a scratch. I guess it had to end some day.

Thanks,
    John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1grhn4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	23220

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21509iv.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	23221

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

I got one in my 01 a few years back and they still could get oem parts for it the beat you could do is call a dealer or look them up on gmpards.com look in the sponsor area and you will see it
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thank you.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Sorry to hear about your run in. Also keep an eye open in the classifieds on your main sites. I have had a few customers find nice oem ws6 hoods for around $400 (still needs to be painted) but it is a lot cheaper than they could find anywhere else.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Actually from what i can see of your hood it looks to be an easy fix. Unless there is something i can't see.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by WS6SP33D View Post
    Actually from what i can see of your hood it looks to be an easy fix. Unless there is something i can't see.
    I was hoping so myself. I'm not knowledgeable about glass repairs.
    That's fiberglass over steel right?
    The hood is perfectly functional and barely damaged. It's just one hell of a blemish. If they can get a smooth finish and paint it, it might not look too bad.

KBB value is only about $8700. It needs both headlight assemblies and lids replaced and the front clip straightened out. Add a new hood to that with all the labor and the insurance might want to total it.

If I can't stand the way the hood looks with the cracked glass I might have to fix it out of my own pocket.
    I've done more research and it seems folks like Harwood hoods. Still researching.

I just hate this crap because I've driven this car for 13 years without a scratch.

Thanks,
    John

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ok now that im on my home cp i can see the pics and like WS6SP33D posted it can be fixed a good body shop could have you out on the road in a few days and look just as good as the day you got it. but if you do need parts you can call hawks 3rd gen to as he selles parts for the 4th gen and some used stuff to.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

That looks exactly what happened to mine man. The shop was able to fix the fix the hood and mine looked a little worse. Hood damage wise.

Also my car is a 98 with ~102k miles on it when this happened. The insurance quote was 2800ish and they didnt total it.

Last edited by jetaws6; 11-11-2011 at 05:35 AM.
    98 ws6 stock short block 228r ls6 Heads Fast 102 tick level 2 trans monster stage 3 mwc 9 on the way

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

[QUOTE=jetaws6;2718461]That looks exactly what happened to mine man. The shop was able to fix the fix the hood and mine looked a little worse. Hood damage wise.

Also my car is a 98 with ~102k miles on it when this happened. The insurance quote was 2800ish and they didnt total it.

OUCH! Oh that sucks! I'm surprised that was only $2800.

The impact was so hard I expected to see what you saw. I was really surprised that the headlights took the brunt of it.
    It was a big buck. I could see the whole body when I hit it. If the headlights hadn't snagged it and deflected the body away it probably would have come through the windshield.

At least I have good insurance with just a $250 deductible. I'm getting off cheap.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Sorry to hear about your accident,but im with the others i think it could be fixed also

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by JRB 9966 View Post
    That's fiberglass over steel right?
    The hood is all SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) with no steel underneath it. SMC is similar to fiberglass but the repair process is different. Traditional fiberglass repairs won't stick well to SMC...so find a body shop that knows what they are doing.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

take a look at the fram rails in frount of the rad there is a grove in them and make sure there isnt any paint chipping there if there is you need to make sure the fram isnt bent

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The hood is all SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) with no steel underneath it. SMC is similar to fiberglass but the repair process is different. Traditional fiberglass repairs won't stick well to SMC...so find a body shop that knows what they are doing.
    Thank you. I didn't know that.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    take a look at the fram rails in frount of the rad there is a grove in them and make sure there isnt any paint chipping there if there is you need to make sure the fram isnt bent
    Thanks. I will check that.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

OUCH! Oh that sucks! I'm surprised that was only $2800.

The impact was so hard I expected to see what you saw. I was really surprised that the headlights took the brunt of it.
    It was a big buck. I could see the whole body when I hit it. If the headlights hadn't snagged it and deflected the body away it probably would have come through the windshield.

At least I have good insurance with just a $250 deductible. I'm getting off cheap.
    Yea I was surprised it wasn't totaled either but good luck I hope they dont screw you

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Well, the preliminary estimate is $2900. They may find more after they take it apart.
    They faxed the estimate to my ins agent but I haven't heard back yet.
    It doesn't matter. I told them to order the parts and get started. If the ins won't pay then I'll pay it myself. I'm not throwing away a perfectly good WS6 over busted headlights.
    I don't want to go into debt for a new car and there is nothing new out there I want in my price range.

I just hope they do a good job. Especially the hood.

Black/Black
    2002 firebird T/A

contact this guy. he will tell you the truth on who has the best for you and he doese biz with all the suppliers so he can drop ship to your house.
    I know his site says old cars but he can get new too! He is a GM parts suplier

Welcome To Muscle Cars Only

good luck!!
    Jackie D

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Well, the preliminary estimate is $2900. They may find more after they take it apart.
    They faxed the estimate to my ins agent but I haven't heard back yet.
    It doesn't matter. I told them to order the parts and get started. If the ins won't pay then I'll pay it myself. I'm not throwing away a perfectly good WS6 over busted headlights.
    I don't want to go into debt for a new car and there is nothing new out there I want in my price range.

I just hope they do a good job. Especially the hood.
    Even if its more and they havent totaled it yet they shouldn't off the estimate (at least that's what Gieco did). They sent them another 2500 for the damage that was off in the estimate.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

The adjuster's estimate is a little over $2900.
    I asked him if that included a front end alignment. "no. Why?"
    I told him it hunts left and right constantly like the toe-in is off and pulls to the right and it wasn't like that before I hit the deer.
    "I never heard of this kind of hit knocking the front end out." Oh man.
    He said he would have them test drive it and check it out.

The shop hasn't even pulled the front off the car yet. All they've done is order two headlight assemblies. The mounting plate is all smashed up and they haven't ordered one yet. This is going to take a while.

The insurance company has been slow to handle this but at least they aren't griping about the cost. Yet.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I see their point. I don't see how a headlight/hood shot could affect the alignment.

Thread Information