Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

WS6 hood help

This is a discussion on WS6 hood help within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Cutlass I see their point. I don't see how a headlight/hood shot could affect the alignment. Beats ...

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I see their point. I don't see how a headlight/hood shot could affect the alignment.
    Beats me but it did.
    It wasn't just the headlight/hood. The whole front is shifted to the left and down a bit. None of the body panels line up right.
    I was on the brakes hard turning to the right when the deer slammed the nose down and to the left. Somewhere in there something shifted.

It's nearly a $3000 claim. It might be more after they get into it. I'm not trying to beat them out of a front end alignment.
    I even told the adjuster that I don't care if I have to pay for an alignment, I just want them to make sure nothing in the suspension or steering is damaged.

They were supposed to tear into it first thing this morning but I haven't heard anything today.

I just want my baby back. My wife and I can get by on one car most of the time but next week I'll have to get a rental.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Body shop can sometimes take a while to get cars fixed. Especially when they need to keep ordering parts and submitting for additional money from the ins company. Then of course with the short holiday week coming up, people taking vacation time around the holiday...it may take quite a while to get your car back. Hopefully not though. Good luck to you

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Body shop can sometimes take a while to get cars fixed. Especially when they need to keep ordering parts and submitting for additional money from the ins company. Then of course with the short holiday week coming up, people taking vacation time around the holiday...it may take quite a while to get your car back. Hopefully not though. Good luck to you
    Thank you.
    Yeah, I'm expecting it to take a while.

I am fortunate that my wife and I work the same hours at the same company. I can do without my car most of the time.
    Unfortunately, my 78 year old mother has lymphoma. She goes back into the hospital Tuesday for her fourth chemotherapy. It's a continuous 60 hour drip of 4 different drugs in sequence.
    I'll be spending most of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in the hospital with her. I hope they have good turkey.
    I'll have to get a rental Tuesday. My insurance pays $20 a day toward the rental. I'll have to foot the rest. And, I hate driving strange cars.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

i know i am replying late on this forum but andysautosport.com has replacments.. cheapest ws6 hood is $400 non painted. Sorry about the ride..

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    i know i am replying late on this forum but andysautosport.com has replacments.. cheapest ws6 hood is $400 non painted. Sorry about the ride..
    Jon, this web site is going to get removed, reason for delete is it is not a paid sponsor.

PM it to the OP.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Jon, this web site is going to get removed, reason for delete is it is not a paid sponsor.

PM it to the OP.
    sorry man, didnt know

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We encourage our members to stay loyal to our site sponsors. However, when there is a product not offered by a sponsor, I have no problem with info being posted on where it can be ordered and such. To my knowledge, Afterthoughts does sell a WS9 style hood (essentially a WS6 hood with heat extractors): Trufiber Firebird WS-9 Extractor Hood (1998-2002)

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for all the help guys.
    At this point I think I'm just screwed unless I foot the whole bill myself.

They initially said they could fix the hood. Without ever informing me, they claim to have found more damage and declared the hood unsafe and will not reinstall it.
    They ordered an aftermarket hood. It arrived damaged. They ordered another one and had painted it and were installing it before I ever found out.
    I still haven't received another check from the insurance to cover the additional costs and I don't know when I get the car back and don't really care. It's ruined now. It is no longer an authentic WS6.
    They claimed I wouldn't be able to tell the difference but I have yet to see a non OEM hood that looked right.

They also used refurbished salvage headlight assemblies. I'll bet one side or the other strips a motor gear within 2 months.
    I can almost guarantee you the body panels won't line up. From what I've learned trying to work with these people, they are idiots and liars. I'll bet they already found a buyer for my original hood.

I hope this all works out but now it is no longer my pride and joy. It's just a car.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well that sucks

That's a typical get-em-in-and-get-em-out body shop response. Saying you won't know the difference, but in reality, as you mentioned I haven't see any reproduction parts on anything that look exactly like the OEM parts. Especially when it comes to body panels.

On parts like that, you are better off finding an OEM hood forsale yourself before taking it to a shop. Unless it's a high end concours type restoration shop, they aren't going to take the time to find OEM parts that aren't available anymore. That's wasted time to most shops that have other quick money insurance jobs to do.

Sorry to hear it, hope it turns out okay...

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    We encourage our members to stay loyal to our site sponsors. However, when there is a product not offered by a sponsor, I have no problem with info being posted on where it can be ordered and such. To my knowledge, Afterthoughts does sell a WS9 style hood (essentially a WS6 hood with heat extractors): Trufiber Firebird WS-9 Extractor Hood (1998-2002)
    That looks like a nice hood if you can't get OEM.
    I'm going to have to look at that as an option after I get through getting screwed over.
    I'm real curious about what cheap piece of junk they ordered without even telling me they were going to replace it.

Does anybody know which aftermarket ram air hoods are actually NON-functional? I understand some of them just LOOK like ram air hoods.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Aside from the woes of dealing with my insurance company and body shop, here's something I'm really seething about.

We've been looking for a new car for my wife for several months.
    We had the first two weeks of November scheduled off for vacation.
    My mom got sick and I had to cancel my vacation.
    My wife refused to cancel her vacation and took those two weeks off without me.
    I had to drive my TA to work and back every night and that is why I hit the deer in my TA instead of her $500 Aztek.

Now she's driving a brand new 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited and I haven't even gotten my car back yet and when I do, it just won't ever be the same.

I haven't and won't say anything to her about it but, this crap is all her fault. Sort of.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by JRB 9966 View Post
    I haven't and won't say anything to her about it but, this crap is all her fault. Sort of.
    Everything usually is their faultů

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Sorry that happened man. If possible dont let the body shop trash or keep your oem hood. If its unsafe or whatever, bs imo, to put back on the car then they should have no problem giving it back to you. That way you will always have it to fix at a later date and still have the knock off as well.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

the shop is full of it they cant do work with out letting you or the ins comp know so just tell them thanks for buying you the hood as you didnt ask for it and will not be paying for it there is no resason it sould of taken this long one week is all that is needed to fix your car by a good shop

Quote Originally Posted by JRB 9966 View Post
    Aside from the woes of dealing with my insurance company and body shop, here's something I'm really seething about.

We've been looking for a new car for my wife for several months.
    We had the first two weeks of November scheduled off for vacation.
    My mom got sick and I had to cancel my vacation.
    My wife refused to cancel her vacation and took those two weeks off without me.
    I had to drive my TA to work and back every night and that is why I hit the deer in my TA instead of her $500 Aztek.

Now she's driving a brand new 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited and I haven't even gotten my car back yet and when I do, it just won't ever be the same.

That's the breaks. My wife drives her SS everyday, I'd hate to see the hood or spoiler get damaged but the rest of the car I couldn't care less about. If it's ever totalled I'll probably strip the drivetrain and just build her a classic car to drive.

Do you have a picture of the damaged hood? I've been around body work for 35 years, painted alot of cars, and I've seen alot of real craftsman that fix things I wouldn't even touch.
    These hoods are a special molded process to make, (not really fiberglass) but fiberglass is so easy to work with. I'm willing to bet it could be fixed (for a price) if you find the right guy.
    It's just not something an insurance type of body shop can take the time to do. They work in volume to pay the bills. Taking too much time on a car costs them money.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

Do you have a picture of the damaged hood?
    The image is in my first post unless you can't see it for some reason.

BUT GUESS WHAT? After receiving three aftermarket hood that arrived damaged, they decided it wasn't a safety issue after all. Now they claim they are going to repair and install my original hood. They originally claimed they found cracks around the latch assembly that made it unsafe. I'm not sure what to think now.

I'm curious as to who they order the hoods from. Three damaged in a row?

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    the shop is full of it they cant do work with out letting you or the ins comp know so just tell them thanks for buying you the hood as you didnt ask for it and will not be paying for it there is no resason it sould of taken this long one week is all that is needed to fix your car by a good shop
    Now that they are going to repair my original hood they claim it will be ready next Thursday or Friday. That will put it up to around a month.

I see the pics now. If it's just that slight corner damage (from what it appears) there is no reason what so ever that hood couldn't be fixed.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I see the pics now. If it's just that slight corner damage (from what it appears) there is no reason what so ever that hood couldn't be fixed.
    IF they know how, since it is not ordinary fiberglass. Still, it is so little damage I see no reason why they couldn't make it look decent.
    I wonder if they were BS'ing me about the cracks at the hood latch. I looked that over good before I took it in. I didn't see any cracks. The square ring that the latch actually grabs was slightly bent to one side but I saw nothing else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information