Thread: Ws6 Hid

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Ws6 Hid

I just installed HID's on my headlights and fog lights, but one of my fog lights began to flicker and after a couple days it went completely out. I took it to a shop and the guy said that the backing or housing I guess melted due to the heat of the HID's in the foglights in my 2000 ws6. Does anyone know what to do or the right way to install them is there any modifications that I should be doing first? Thank you!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I thought guys were replacing the entire housing with a new aftermarket light assembly... but I could be mistaken.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I thought guys were replacing the entire housing with a new aftermarket light assembly... but I could be mistaken.
    they "should" do that because our fog light housing is pretty weak plastic...

to answer your question the only thing you can do is buy a new fog light housing and if you are running a 55watt kit in the fogs you are going to have this problem again. 35watt in the fogs is ideal and puts off a little less heat but I have yet to find a metal/glass fog light housing for our cars so the only thing you can really do is back the wattage down to control the heat. I have seen 35watt kits melt the lenses as well though...keep that in mind. I went with LED's in my fogs just to match the color and look of the HID's in my headlights...

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Hey man yea I did that for my headlights and hopefully it stands strong, but I did not for my fog lights so I might have to look into it thanks

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    they "should" do that because our fog light housing is pretty weak plastic...

to answer your question the only thing you can do is buy a new fog light housing and if you are running a 55watt kit in the fogs you are going to have this problem again. 35watt in the fogs is ideal and puts off a little less heat but I have yet to find a metal/glass fog light housing for our cars so the only thing you can really do is back the wattage down to control the heat. I have seen 35watt kits melt the lenses as well though...keep that in mind. I went with LED's in my fogs just to match the color and look of the HID's in my headlights...
    I just checked the wattage on mind and they are 35 watts so it looks like I might have to look into the led's... Man was really hoping I could keep the hid's! How's the Led's? Are they bright enough?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by WS SIX View Post
    I just checked the wattage on mind and they are 35 watts so it looks like I might have to look into the led's... Man was really hoping I could keep the hid's! How's the Led's? Are they bright enough?
    A lot of people want the fog lights to be as bright as headlights and its just not going to happen lol I know because I tried...my HID's in the fogs couldnt project enough because they were so low to the ground. the LED's are brighter than the stock halogens in my opinion, but no where near as bright as HID's are. I am still searching for a housing that will accommodate an HID without melting it...i've even considered having something fabbed up out of metal and attaching some glass to the front of it but no luck so far.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Thread Information