red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

WS6 Headers/intake

So i have a 2000 WS6 I'm looking to get some headers either Kooks or American racing haven't decided which just yet. Im wondering whether it would be best to get the 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers also whether the ORY would be a smart choice over the catted Y. Im looking to put on my ls6 intake and was wondering is it a direct fitment or would have to do some modifications? Also is it better to purchase the off road headers or the ones that have the egr and air fittings (not really sure what they are or mean). Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

WS6 Headers/intake

bigger is better. Regarding the cat y that depends on your states emmissions. I've deleted my cats because no inspection here
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-04-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Navy Blue Metallic

WS6 Headers/intake

off road headers just mean the egr tubes are left off. you don't need them and you don't have it if IIRC. If you still have the egr delete it.

The LS6 Intake will fit but some slight mod. The intake is deeper then the LS1, the issue is the coolant crossover tubes under the intake. You have 2 options in dealing with them.

Opt 1 - get a LS6 (or 3 now) coolant crossover kit. It plugs the back inlets on the heads and changes the front tube. Goes for $60.

Opt 2 - You can keep the LS1 crossover tubes but you'll need to CAREFULLY knock off the plastic fins on the bottom of the intake with a dremil.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

If you have a true LS6 intake there should be NO EGR so the headers without the EGR set up is what you need
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    off road headers just mean the egr tubes are left off. you don't need them and you don't have it if IIRC. If you still have the egr delete it.

The LS6 Intake will fit but some slight mod. The intake is deeper then the LS1, the issue is the coolant crossover tubes under the intake. You have 2 options in dealing with them.

Opt 1 - get a LS6 (or 3 now) coolant crossover kit. It plugs the back inlets on the heads and changes the front tube. Goes for $60.

Opt 2 - You can keep the LS1 crossover tubes but you'll need to CAREFULLY knock off the plastic fins on the bottom of the intake with a dremil.
    Im in california, would i be able to pass smog with off road headers and ory ? Is the sound preferably better over a catted y pipe. And Im quoted about $1300 to install the intake headers and tune would this be a reasonable price thanks.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run the Kooks 1-7/8" headers and catted Y on our car. You'll be very happy with the look and fitment. The whole job can be completed in just a couple of hours with basic hand tools - so that price seems a bit steep to me.

The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Quote Originally Posted by WS SIX View Post
    Im in california, would i be able to pass smog with off road headers and ory ? Is the sound preferably better over a catted y pipe. And Im quoted about $1300 to install the intake headers and tune would this be a reasonable price thanks.
    You won't even pass the visual inspection. You can't do freaky sH!t to your emissions in Cali. ORY's illegal in Cali. It has to be catted and have EGR and AIR. I believe the only thing you can get in Cali are the "shorties". There's a reason you see 49 state legal on some of the parts you buy...it's because the 50th state (Cali) doesn't allow them.

Silver

I did see in another post that SLP sells a Ls6 intake with the EGR for Cali guys

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I run the Kooks 1-7/8" headers and catted Y on our car. You'll be very happy with the look and fitment. The whole job can be completed in just a couple of hours with basic hand tools - so that price seems a bit steep to me.
    Yea your right Ill research a bit and see if I can take the task on, would you say its easier to install the intake first or the headers with the intake off and then install the intake? do you think the tune is necessary right away after the install? Appreciate it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Without a tune the engine will be running rich and things will not be optimal. There is really no interrelationship between the intake and exhaust from an installation standpoint so it does not matter which one you tackle first. Just be sure to pop up the plastic pins that attach the rubber seal to the cowl when you start as they will shred your hands.

Silver

So that what was shredding my forearms when I did my Headers!!!!

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Without a tune the engine will be running rich and things will not be optimal. There is really no interrelationship between the intake and exhaust from an installation standpoint so it does not matter which one you tackle first. Just be sure to pop up the plastic pins that attach the rubber seal to the cowl when you start as they will shred your hands.
    Alright sounds good! I plan on installing the headers and y pipe and seeing how it sounds with my flow master exhaust, If i don't like the sound I will change to borla or magna flow. Would you say It would be wise to decide that first then tune it or is the catback change not relevant to the tune.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just a catback isn't really a worry. Add the LT's and then you'll want a tune.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree with Jeff and as he mentioned earlier, a tune will net you the most power increase after the header install. It isn't an absolute necessity to get a tune, but it is highly recommended to get the most out of the setup. Several have went w/o and the car will run fine, just a little rich. I think most who opted not to get a tune were probably tight on cash as a tune isn't exactly cheap...unless you are able to go the Frost online route.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

How's the clearance with your catted Y? I'm lowered with the pro
    Kit 2 inches and was wondering how your clearance is? Also would 4.10 gears be a worthy
    Install as well or
    Is it better only if car has heads/cam package? Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic

4.10's in a 10 bolt is asking for it to blow up. Unless I miss you have a 12bolt or 9".

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How's the clearance with your catted Y? I'm lowered with the pro
    Kit 2 inches and was wondering how your clearance is? Also would 4.10 gears be a worthy
    Install as well or
    Is it better only if car has heads/cam package? Thanks

No clearance issues at all. The system tucks up nicely against the underbody. 4.10's are definitely the recommended upgrade for manual transmission cars.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Alright guys looks like I'm going to go with the Kooks 1 7/8 headers (non stepped don't really see the reason to go with stepped) and a catted y. I think I'm going to do it right and get rid of the flowmaster catback (even though it sounds good people say it's very restrictive). I have narrowed down to either the GMMG catback or the Kooks True Duals. What would you guys say since the cost differnce between the two is about $500. I've watched countless sound videos and am stuck between these two. All the help is much appreciated thanks again!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Agree with Jeff and as he mentioned earlier, a tune will net you the most power increase after the header install. It isn't an absolute necessity to get a tune, but it is highly recommended to get the most out of the setup. Several have went w/o and the car will run fine, just a little rich. I think most who opted not to get a tune were probably tight on cash as a tune isn't exactly cheap...unless you are able to go the Frost online route.
    I agree a tune is always necessary to get the most out of any vehicle setup, whether stock, or with any type of mods. I must have a freak car, since everyone seems to think a tune is really helpful for headers. I ran my car for years without a tune after my LT/ORY, and I got 1.5 MPG better highway (this means I wasn't running very rich), and I was trapping 2-3 MPH faster. I had Frost do a mail order tune for me probably 4 years after my LT/ORY. I did have to see the SES light for all that time, so maybe that's why people say you must have a tune. MAF equipped cars are somewhat self-tuning, since the MAF will report the higher airflow that a good intake/exhaust set-up enables and the PCM adusts accordingly. I do get maybe .5 MPG better on the highway now since the Frost tune.

OP, how are you getting around Cali's visual emissions inspection? Some people there change their stuff out to stock for the emission inspection, then the put the headers etc. back on the next weekend.

Thread Information