Thread: WS6 hard starts

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

WS6 hard starts

Hi I have a 2000 WS6 and I have been having some issues. On a cold start the car starts up fine and seems strong. But if I try and crank it on a warm start it cranks for like 5 seconds and finally starts, yet i can tell it aint the same healthy start up as it is when it's cold. Also when the car sometimes really as if its not as strong when accelerating after a warm start. Its really frustrating I have changed the fuel filter. I was told it could be a fuel pressure regulator, should i replace the fuel regulator or the pump or both? Also what would be the best brand and where should I purchase from (heard Walbro fuel pumps are good) Thanks for any advice or help.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the first thing is to purchase a fuel pressure gauge. Be cheaper in the long run versus throwing parts at it.....they're only about $20. Make sure you have 58psi at the rail. There's a schrader valve on the end of the drivers side rail. When you get your tester make sure it comes with that adapter. It could be fuel related but it could be a few other things also. What mods are done to the car? As far as fuel pumps go I would look no further than the racetronix kit although it uses the stock regulator so if that's your problem going to the walbro kit won't solve that. I doubt it's the regulator myself and if it's fuel related it's most likely the pump but before I just assumed it's the pump I'd want to check that pressure.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the first thing is to purchase a fuel pressure gauge. Be cheaper in the long run versus throwing parts at it.....they're only about $20. Make sure you have 58psi at the rail. There's a schrader valve on the end of the drivers side rail. When you get your tester make sure it comes with that adapter. It could be fuel related but it could be a few other things also. What mods are done to the car? As far as fuel pumps go I would look no further than the racetronix kit although it uses the stock regulator so if that's your problem going to the walbro kit won't solve that. I doubt it's the regulator myself and if it's fuel related it's most likely the pump but before I just assumed it's the pump I'd want to check that pressure.
    I just ordered my fuel pressure gauge, the car is stock just a catback. Should it be 58 psi at startup and idle? Also after i turn the car off should the psi drop and if so how far? Thanks

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

I just took the car in to a shop and they showed me the fuel pressure of the car is 50 psi when i put the key to the on position and then immediately starts dropping and within 5 seconds its below 20 psi and continues to decrease. So the car is not holding the fuel pressure. They said that the fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced but they were thinking the regulator is on the fuel rail but i thought its in the fuel tank. Does anyone know where its at, and how would i know if its not actually the fuel pump or should i replace both the pump and regulator? thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Is the pump original?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Is the pump original?
    Yes I believe so I wasn't the original owner.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'd change it with a Walbro 255 since you'll be dropping the tank anyway. The fuel pressure regulator is in the tank. That other thing looks like a fuel regulator but isn't.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

I'd change it with a Walbro 255 since you'll be dropping the tank anyway. The fuel pressure regulator is in the tank. That other thing looks like a fuel regulator but isn't.
    Walbro over the racetronix? And do these come with new regulators. Only thing that's trippin me out is why does the hard starts (extended cranks) not happen on cold starts. Thanks for your input man appreciate it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The Racetronix kit is a Walbro pump . Regulator is separate.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

The Racetronix kit is a Walbro pump . Regulator is separate.
    Haha Thanks man Ill get that, probably gonna be a pain to change it tho haha do you know of any write up on how to do it?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Please let us know how this turns out. Mine is doing a similar thing. After sitting for a few hours everything is fine. But if I park and it only sits for 30 mins to an hour and go to crank it; it will crank fine but once I start going it will hesitate. Feels like it is not getting enough gas or has too much.

Mine started after the car set for a year and had headers put on. I assumed the headers were getting the fuel line too hot while being parked.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WS SIX View Post
    Haha Thanks man Ill get that, probably gonna be a pain to change it tho haha do you know of any write up on how to do it?
    Read this over: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/racetr...l-pics-153723/

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by WS SIX View Post
    It's honestly not that bad. I had to replace my fuel pump on my previous '99 Z28 around 5 years ago and it was only about a 2-3 hour job. I did it the right way, by dropping the muffler and gas tank. At times, the job does require some curse words, but overall, it wasn't that bad.

Mind you, this is coming from a novice when it comes to working on cars. This was my first ever big project that was car related and considering that, I was proud to be able to say that I did it myself. Saved about $300 in labor also.

Don't be in a rush, take your time and be patient. Good luck!!
    [<a href=http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn249/brotrippin/null-28.jpg target=_blank>http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...in/null-28.jpg</a>/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

go with this one^^^ I also recommend springing for the wire harness kit too.

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    So it doesn't include everything for the install?

red
    2000 WS6 MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    This one?
    do I need the Battery ground upgrade kit or pump booster optinal upgrades? Thanks
    99-02 Racetronix LS1 F-Body Harness Only | WS6store.com

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

yep.....read and understand the directions before you attempt it. It's not hard just need to pay attention and not be color blind.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Wasn't aware there was a pump booster for that. Get the one with the wire hardness kit. You likely do not need the wire harness kit (it is optional), but it is a nice upgrade to have while you are doing the swap anyway in the event you ever desire to upgrade mods and demand more fuel from the pump. It works the same as a boost-a-pump.

Thread Information