Blue
    1969 Camaro SS

WS6, bad motor, good deal?

Hello, relatively new to the forum and need help from some experienced people. I work for local police dept and have a close relationship with the wreckers that run the city.

Recently a stolen '02 Trans Am was recovered in our city after the insurance had paid the owner for the car. The wrecker had a bill and the insurance said keep the car. Its black, T-Top, LS1/Auto, Leather Monsoon sys and WS6 package. Engine had shy of 95,000 and its a 8 out of 10. The wrecker owner drove it to 104,000 and attempted to start it in his driveway on morning. Engine would not turn over but starter clicked, he attempted again and heard a loud noise. He rolled the car back and found aluminum chunks from the engine. The hole is above oil pan on drivers side of block. At this time you have all the info that I have. He's not in the best financial position and I may be able to get the car for $2500 - $3500. I need all opinions on if this is a good deal and just general opinions of the car.

Now I have pulled and rebuild several engine before. This was on a few '69 camaros and older novas. I know how to take one apart and put a carb on it and make it run. Im not experienced enough in the computer part of the newer cars. I would like to put another LS1 in it with headers, exhaust, Intake (if not already the ls6) and possibly a cam change since the engine it out. Next question is what then, do i send the computer off to have it re-programed for the modifications or do I buy a programmer and will it handle these modifications?

I can see if this goes through I will be on here A LOT. I need opinions from everyone on here. I will respond to all questions as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The hand held tuners like the Diablo Predators are about worthless IMO. You can send it to one of the Moderators on here named Frost. I hear he does great things.

Or you can buy a program to do it with ...but it is probably way cheaper to send it off.

As for the cost of the car without a motor I dont know if its a good deal or not.

What is your money situation and what do you plan on doing with it.. ie drag racing, weekend cruiser, Daily driver?

Buy a Stall ( about 3,000 or better ) it will really help you enjoy your motor work after your done.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yep you should buy the car for $2500, do the engine replacement with whatever mods you wanna do, and then talk to Frost for a tune.
    Even if you don't understand or have much experience with the computer fuel injection stuff, don't worry too much about running into problems. We'll be here to help.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Unless you do a cam i would talk to frost about it. Something like that would probably be better done on a dyno. For the price i'd say if you could take it for 2500 then buy it.

Blue
    1969 Camaro SS

I have made it through page 6 of the forum here specific to Firebird/ WS6. I figured if the motor has to come out anyway might as well spice it up a little. The plan is just to get it running, the goal is to have approx 400-450hp for this to be a hot street car. I wanted one of these when they first came out but $33,000 was too much for me at 20.

I have a 1969 camaro that Im going to put a LS2/T56 out of a GTO. Im hoping this will get me a little more experience and provide funds for the Camaro.

So I hearing stay away from handheld's, become friends with Frost and attempt to get the car for $2500. I will let you know how it turns out.

Robert

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

2500$? everything in good shape, just needs a motor. id buy it for 2500$..wouldnt pay anymore for it but def pay that much.
    how molested is this poor car? ask him how the trans was...4L60E's dont like too be raped in stock form in D all that much.

join the dark side...

Blue
    1969 Camaro SS

Car interior is pretty much a 10. Its dusty, needs cleaning, and just very small minor things. The outside is about 8/ 10. Has 2 spots of clear coming off ram air hood, needs washed and waxed and drivers side window regulator. He only had the car for a few thousand miles. Just happens to be a wrecker service that got a nice car given to them. He admitted to "getting on it" a few times and said the car was fast. Unknown of the trans condition at this time, I can only account for visible defects.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

if you have athe money and time..2500 dollars for a complete WS6 if i had the money i'd buy it!

White
    1998 Trans Am

If everything else is good that's a good deal especially if you can do the motor work yourself. Buy a nice forged kit so it's prepped for NOS or boost incase you decide more power is needed and seeing track times go lower and lower is addicting according to my friend. I still keep modding mt car just because it keeps feeling slow after a while.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

silver
    2000 formula

where is it.............i will buy it

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

2500 hundred is a fair deal if its just the engine

Blue
    1999 Z28 SS

Tell me you got it??

Blue
    1969 Camaro SS

I have $2000 that I have saved due to working off duty. Im waiting till the end of the wrecker rotation and will offer him cash. You guys/girls will be the 1st to know. I will definitely need help on taking the engine out, Im reading some attempts taking only a few hours. Never done a newer trans am.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    I have $2000 that I have saved due to working off duty. Im waiting till the end of the wrecker rotation and will offer him cash. You guys/girls will be the 1st to know. I will definitely need help on taking the engine out, Im reading some attempts taking only a few hours. Never done a newer trans am.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks
    If you have any ?'s about anything about these cars feel free to PM me. I am on my 4th LS1 car so I have been through pretty much everything that has ever gone wrong with these cars. This forum has been a great source of info as well. Good luck with getting it, and you will be happy when you do once you get it set up the way you want it. I was hooked after my first Trans Am, and just kept trading up over the years to get the one I wanted. If you can get the car for 2500 it's a great deal. If the interior and everything else is in mint condition and the car has low mileage, I would even pay 3K for one in that kind of shape.

Be safe out there from a fellow LEO.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 07-08-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    If you have any ?'s about anything about these cars feel free to PM me. I am on my 4th LS1 car so I have been through pretty much everything that has ever gone wrong with these cars. This forum has been a great source of info as well. Good luck with getting it, and you will be happy when you do once you get it set up the way you want it. I was hooked after my first Trans Am, and just kept trading up over the years to get the one I wanted. If you can get the car for 2500 it's a great deal. If the interior and everything else is in mint condition and the car has low mileage, I would even pay 3K for one in that kind of shape.

Be safe out there from a fellow LEO.
    well since you are on your fourth..maybe you could help me with a headlight issue. i noticed about 2 weeks ago, that the motor for drivers side would not go up< so my buddy tapped on it with a hammer and punch and it flipped right up...ok now though like 10 days ago whenever i would unlock or lock my car both lights would flip up real quick and drop back down, and the drivers side motor would keep spinning for like 5 secs after they would drop back down....i figure a short or something but i dont have a clue

Sebring Silver
    1998 WS6

Definately a great deal if the only thing wrong with it is the engine... more than likely it sounds like it's a problem in the bottom end and you can get a stock short block for around $500. If you decided to go that route you could swap out the top end and have a nice looking 02 WS6 for around $3k invested... can't beat that considering the last time I looked up the blue book on mine it was worth around $6k and it's a '98. At a minimum you could buy the car throw in a stock short block and quickly make a huge profit if you decided to sell it once fixed up. (I would advise against that unless you are in need of the cash)
    '98 Trans Am WS6 A4 Lid, Edelbrock Race Headers, Edelbrock ORY, Edelbrock Cat-back, SFC's, LCA's, 4.11, Hypertech, H/C/I in progress
    RIP94 Camaro M6 | RIP2000 Trans Am A4 12.50 @ 108.9

Thread Information