Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

WS6 A4 burnout?

This is a discussion on WS6 A4 burnout? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; If you swap gears make sure to get the girdle at the same time....

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If you swap gears make sure to get the girdle at the same time.

artic white
    1998 z28

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I never really tried to smoke them, but with 275's and 2.73's, I have no problem at all getting them to spin real good. Just did it today actually, from a 5mph roll.
    How do you have 2.73???

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by slikws6 View Post
    I have 3.23 stock and was about to go to 3.73 but gas is still going up.
    The car is not a DD and the pinion seal is leaking just a little.
    My thought if I have to pull everything to put in crush sleeve and seal mite as well change the gears.
    I guess I'm having the same issues as you. My car doesn't leak a drop out of the engine bay but there are a few drops from the rearend of my car on the garage floor. I'm thinking about getting 3.73's, but I won't be able to do if myself and heard the labor costs are very high not to mention new gears and an good install kit will run $250+.

As far as burnouts go, I have 3.23's with mild mods. I can roast the tires easily (I could do the same before mods). My tires are pretty bald, but I can roast them from z 30-40 mph roll for a second or two and even easier from a stop. I'm guessing the vert's weight is hindering you. An auto vert weighs 3627 lbs vs an auto coupe 3517. That can't help.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

with my small stall, and few other goodies.
    i cant just mash the gas, i wont go any where. go-go oklahoma roads!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by fastZ View Post
    How do you have 2.73???
    Stock gears on Formulas and Z28's were 2.73.

3.23's were optional on base cars, and standard on the A4 WS6 and SS.

Red
    2000 TRANS AM WS6 RAM AIR

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    I guess I'm having the same issues as you. My car doesn't leak a drop out of the engine bay but there are a few drops from the rearend of my car on the garage floor. I'm thinking about getting 3.73's, but I won't be able to do if myself and heard the labor costs are very high not to mention new gears and an good install kit will run $250+.

As far as burnouts go, I have 3.23's with mild mods. I can roast the tires easily (I could do the same before mods). My tires are pretty bald, but I can roast them from z 30-40 mph roll for a second or two and even easier from a stop. I'm guessing the vert's weight is hindering you. An auto vert weighs 3627 lbs vs an auto coupe 3517. That can't help.
    There are Motive Gears then there are Motive Performance gears, Stay away from regular Motive gears.

Average price for Performance gears all new bearings seals gear oil posi additive, and labor should come in around 800.00 if done right.

Less if they are just thrown in with the stock shims and you don't mind the whine. LOL

now greybat66

navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

I have 273 gears and i could roast my tires at will.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

hell yes

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

...I don't have a WS6. But my 01 TA is an A4 with 2.73s and I can burnout fine generally.

TURBO AWD....YESSSSSSSSSS 317Born's Avatar
    08 Mazda CX-7 2.3l Turbo

when im powerbrakein i only spin my right rear tires....but when im makin a turn and come outta da apex and punch it i spin bothat like 20 mph...i have a 02 t/a a4...i dont kno what my gears r...i just got the car a month ago...havent done 2 much tinkerin wit it yet

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 317Born View Post
    when im powerbrakein i only spin my right rear tires....but when im makin a turn and come outta da apex and punch it i spin bothat like 20 mph...i have a 02 t/a a4...i dont kno what my gears r...i just got the car a month ago...havent done 2 much tinkerin wit it yet
    Thats because you have a Torsen differential, which is a torque-distributing unit, not a locker or limited slip. It biases the power to each wheel based on torque, so if the resistance of the stopped tire is equivelent to the resistance of the spinning one, it will only keep spinning the one tire. It is also useless if one wheel has zero traction, such as on ice.

When you come out of the turn though, the differential is constantly switching wheels to balance the torque, so effectivel both wheels end up spinning since its varying the side to side output so fast.

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

my LT1 hooks but if turn wheel and smash its different story. with 275/40/17 BFGoodRich KDWs LOL! my car just has exhaust. 3.23 Gears

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

mine is an A4 with 2.73s and if i punch it from a start it will spin for a second or two but them most of the time it will hook up unless the road is wet or dirty, ive power braked it before and got decent wheel spin but im not trying to buy a new set of tires so i dont let them spin for more than 5 seconds at time

orange
    99 z28

yeah the answers to all your problems are this...learn to drive stick. a good driver can make it behave any which way he chooses. without rebuilding the powertrain lol

Black
    1998 Z28

mine will spin the shit out of them but i havent had them smoking yet and thats 275

red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

3.73s here it would run clean off the road if you didnt countersteer my stock 2.73s would usually do it now that i have a 3400 stall in front of my 3.73s i absolutely cannot get any traction at any time

pewter
    2002 firehawk

hell yeah...02 firehawk..stock, for about 30ft in drive haven't tried 1,2, or 3 yet, it's not thick white smoke but it's there

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    yeah the answers to all your problems are this...learn to drive stick. a good driver can make it behave any which way he chooses. without rebuilding the powertrain lol
    Already know how just can't find good price ls1 M6

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

The '98 Trans Am I had was an AT with 2.73. Usually it would squawk them , squat and go. Once I raced a Mustang GT with that car, we both mashed it at the light and whatta ya know, my car got way sideways and didn't move for what seemed like forever. Chased down the Mustang, spanked him. I knew the guy, and he said when he saw me get sideways on the launch he knew he was toast! I'm sure anyone who saw that saw my rears smokin'.

With the WS6, it is sideways at will in first gear. No traction control, so happy about that!

Black
    1998 WS6 Convert

As I stated earlier I have never had a auto hot rod in this HP range and this is why I ask the question.
    Every car and truck except 2 have been manual.Yes I can make a manual talk to me.But this auto deal is new to me.
    My intention was to get an M6 but looked for about 7-8 months within 200 miles of me and had no luck.
    This car is in very good shape and couldn't pass it up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information