Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

WS-6 Tire pressure

I've been trying to keep my tire pressure around 30 psi, but I have been noticing the outer part of the tread in the rear isn't getting as much contact with the ground (its a whiter grey, while the inside is a darker grey). What maximal psi is everyone getting for their 275-40-17???

Black
    2000 WS6

I run mine at 38 pounds, preferring a stiff side wall to protect the wheels.
    My suspension is dialed in from there.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I run around 35 psi.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I've been trying to keep my tire pressure around 30 psi, but I have been noticing the outer part of the tread in the rear isn't getting as much contact with the ground (its a whiter grey, while the inside is a darker grey). What maximal psi is everyone getting for their 275-40-17???
    You have to give more info than this. Also, on a RWD vehicle like this, the rear tires will normally wear faster in the center of the tread due to acceleration forces imparted to the tire. The front tires on a vehicle like this will normally get high/low spots on the tread blocks if they aren't rotated, again due to normal rotation on a non-driven axle.

When was the last time you had these tires rotated? If it's been over 5k miles, you are overdue, assuming you have the normal size front and rear of 275/40/17. I usually keep mine around 30-32 psi, and rotate them every oil change. If you have directional tires, they can only be rotated front to back, and that is not optimal. The best way to rotate our tires is the rears go straight forward, and the fronts switch sides as they go to the back. This way, all tires eventually end up on every corner, and they also will rotate different directions, which is key to not having high/low spots on tread blocks.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

I keep mine at 33 psi. Although the tire installer had them at 35 psi.
    I have directional tires but I'll still switch fronts to back at 5000 mile intervals maximum. Usually 3500.
    I agree with Too Fast that the rotation is critical to get optimum tire life. Also doesn't hurt to have the balance checked every 10,000 miles. Tires don't usually wear perfectly and a change in balance can quickly start to cup the sides of the tire.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

30 p.s.i. at all four corners. However, if I am tripping the car, I drop the rears down to 28 or 29 as they will be seeing some heat. I do have a slight bit of premature center wear that I am trying to compensate for.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

30psi, as gm states.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    You have to give more info than this. Also, on a RWD vehicle like this, the rear tires will normally wear faster in the center of the tread due to acceleration forces imparted to the tire. The front tires on a vehicle like this will normally get high/low spots on the tread blocks if they aren't rotated, again due to normal rotation on a non-driven axle.

When was the last time you had these tires rotated? If it's been over 5k miles, you are overdue, assuming you have the normal size front and rear of 275/40/17. I usually keep mine around 30-32 psi, and rotate them every oil change. If you have directional tires, they can only be rotated front to back, and that is not optimal. The best way to rotate our tires is the rears go straight forward, and the fronts switch sides as they go to the back. This way, all tires eventually end up on every corner, and they also will rotate different directions, which is key to not having high/low spots on tread blocks.
    They are the factory sized 275-40-17's, all the way around. They are BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S's, so they arent directional (L/R). They have less about 4,000 miles on them, so I havent needed them rotated yet. I might get that done next week though.

sunset orange metallic
    2002 T/A convertible

I run 34 psi's front and rear on my directional Sumitomo's. Haven't rotated yet, very even wear, just check tire pressures religiously.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    They are the factory sized 275-40-17's, all the way around. They are BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S's, so they arent directional (L/R). They have less about 4,000 miles on them, so I havent needed them rotated yet. I might get that done next week though.
    Yes. This is the answer. The first rotation for any set of new tires is the most critical. Just make sure that the person who rotates them has the fronts go to the opposite side on their way back.

Thread Information