Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Question Would you buy...

I found a 1998 Trans Am A4 with 144,000 miles. It seems to run and shift well. The outside is in good shape for the miles and the interior was dirty, but it can be cleaned. It needs the usual (headlights and window motors will need replaced, radio is going in and out, security light is on, A/C is blowing warm, etc), but nothing too costly because I can get the parts off Ebay and do most of it myself and will get used parts for the A/C (assuming it needs a compressor). I'm in a situation where I don't really want a car payment, but would love to have an LS1. I can get it for about $5,000 and can pay cash. Would you guys trust a 98 with that many miles? Am I just going to be buying a huge headache? I can't afford to pay $5000 out of pocket and then have the engine or tranny go out in a few months and spend $3000 for an overhaul or used engine. If that's gonna be the case, I'll just buy a lowered miled one for $7000-$8000. Keep in mind I'm waiting on some Carfax results (he admitted the nose was repainted/replaced after a minor parking lot accident, there are a couple of spots of overspray, its pretty obvious), but he assured me it would come back clean. I'd like your honest opinions. I will be doing some mods, but this is going to be my daily driver (about 24 miles roundtrip a day).

Here is a picture, I wish I'd taken more of them:
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2075482&size=l
    Last edited by vannatte; 08-30-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

I'd say it's a nice looking ride for sure, but if you plan on spending another $3k in a few months, why not wait and get a better car? I wouldn't buy it simply because it already has too many things going against it, and the money you will save doesn't seem like a bargain.... Just my honest opinion. There was a prime WS6 on Ebay today that sold for $8,400. With fall coming prices should only get better.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Good point. My hope is that if I buy the car, I won't have to put tons of money into it, I'm just thinking of a worst case scenario. I look on Autotrader, Cars.com, and Ebay every night and just can't seem to find one that's priced right. Many people still want over $10k for an LS1 with over 100,000. I'd have trouble justifiying that type of purchase. If I'm going to spend over $8,000, I at least want a 6 speed and if I'm spending $10k plus, I'd like a WS6 6 speed.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

I'm sure you can find a nice WS6 6 speed for around $8,000 if you are patient. I would have jumped on this one if I hadn't just bought one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem

Prices will get better over the next few months.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Damn and that was less than 5 hours from me! Keep me posted if you see anything similar in your area.

Silver
    99 Chrysler 300M

shit i would buy it

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

keep saving my friend and by you something thats is WAY better shape. if you buy it its not going to be a daily driver but a daily headache. that car has ran its course i sadly must say but hey there are always good deals out there keep looking. and if your looking for a daily driver get a honda or something. im from cali so i dont know if you have this in your area but go look on craigslist.com you'll find some good deals there.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

honestly, you've waited this long, summer is practically over and prices will definately drop once cold weather hits us in october/november. Just wait until then, my friend.

I see you used to have an LT1, so i can bet you're anxious as hell, but just be patient and compare everything you possibly can. That's good you're not afraid to travel a few hours to find a good deal. I suggest looking in the "vehicles for sale" forums on here and ls1tech.com as well as do a 100 mile search on autotrader.com. You'll find "the right car" and i can tell you 144k on an a4 is asking for trouble b/c you know you'll be driving it pretty hard as soon as you get it.

Red
    2001 ws6

no....esp. if its your DD.....way 2 many miles way 2 many things that can go

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

I got mine for 6.5k its a 99 with (now 115k miles on it) did have about 110k mb.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin23454 View Post
    I got mine for 6.5k its a 99 with (now 115k miles on it) did have about 110k mb.
    wow...what kinda options?? must have been pretty stripped. dealer or local owner?

Thread Information