Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

would it be worth it?

This is a discussion on would it be worth it? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; It's different in a vette I had a Hertz rental LS3 with the 6spd auto w/ paddle shifter and it ...

  1. #21
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    It's different in a vette I had a Hertz rental LS3 with the 6spd auto w/ paddle shifter and it was fast and the 2 extra gears and paddle shifters made my A4 seem like trash. it would be nice having just the A6 in the TA even without the paddles just for the extra mpg and little better top end. But ever since then I have been trying to find either a Vette with a 6spd or the paddle shift A6. Probably end up with a LS2 6spd the way it's looking I don't want a C5 just not a big enought step up.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  2. #22
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    Well Noted... I think at this point I am coming to the realization that I'm gonna wait a few more years down the road and see where I'm at.

    Just because I had fun in a new 6-Speed Vette doesn't mean I'll appreciate it the same in a T/A when I'm out at the track, or stuck in rush hour stop-n-go traffic
    agreed
    2012 Regal GS

    2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

  3. #23
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    It's different in a vette I had a Hertz rental LS3 with the 6spd auto w/ paddle shifter and it was fast and the 2 extra gears and paddle shifters made my A4 seem like trash. it would be nice having just the A6 in the TA even without the paddles just for the extra mpg and little better top end. But ever since then I have been trying to find either a Vette with a 6spd or the paddle shift A6. Probably end up with a LS2 6spd the way it's looking I don't want a C5 just not a big enought step up.
    I've seen something on A6's advertised in high performance Pontiac. They are supposed to be 4L60E/65E direct bolt-in replacements. Then I believe some tuning is required...

    My car even with the A4 seemed to have more straight line speed, but I have full bolt on's and a H/C swap. It was just fun running through some gears on a windy road... then down shifting and powering out of the curves.

  4. #24
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    agreed
    touché

  5. #25
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,996

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    If you really want that car then yes its worth it. Money wise...it may or may not be worth it, but thats just the way things are.

  6. #26
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    I've seen something on A6's advertised in high performance Pontiac. They are supposed to be 4L60E/65E direct bolt-in replacements. Then I believe some tuning is required...

    My car even with the A4 seemed to have more straight line speed, but I have full bolt on's and a H/C swap. It was just fun running through some gears on a windy road... then down shifting and powering out of the curves.
    I was going to swap a 6spd in my car but with the priced I decided I rather just buy a SS or Z28 6spd and have one of eah and the cost isn't much different

  7. #27
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I was going to swap a 6spd in my car but with the priced I decided I rather just buy a SS or Z28 6spd and have one of eah and the cost isn't much different
    I don't know... try looking at this page: http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ct_Code=271600

    TCI is only asking 4700 roughly for this one and the guy that works on my car said he'd install and do any programming necessary of course for roughly 1000 more.

    I think 5700 is way cheaper than buying another car...

    now if you're talking about a 6-speed standard instead, then yes it would be pretty expensive to hang a clutch pedal, get the manual center console, etc. I would go this route with the TCI. Their tranny has a manual mode were you can shift yourself if you really want + this tranny is good up to 850hp...
    Last edited by AKA Speedy; 06-12-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: clarification

  8. #28
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    If you really want that car then yes its worth it. Money wise...it may or may not be worth it, but thats just the way things are.
    the only thing I had against it was it was black... if I'm going to give up both my cars for it I would like it to be a color I really want like Sunset Orange Metallic or Pewter Silver Metallic.

  9. #29
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    I don't know... try looking at this page: http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ct_Code=271600

    TCI is only asking 4700 roughly for this one and the guy that works on my car said he'd install and do any programming necessary of course for roughly 1000 more.

    I think 5700 is way cheaper than buying another car...

    now if you're talking about a 6-speed standard instead, then yes it would be pretty expensive to hang a clutch pedal, get the manual center console, etc. I would go this route with the TCI. Their tranny has a manual mode were you can shift yourself if you really want + this tranny is good up to 850hp...
    I can get built 6spd gaurenteed up to 77ft/tq for a year or 2. And then a cluthch and a few other part probably set me up to $3000 total the pedals are like $50 at junkyards. I have a place tha will do the install for $750 to $800.

    $5700 isn't far off I have seen seveal LS1 fbodies in descent shape for anywhere between $7000 and $9000k depending on year and mileage. I saw a 99 hardtop z28 6spd with 87k for $6995. Plus I can always sell my 93 5.0 LX vert if I want some cash to buy one nicer than my current TA.

  10. #30
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I can get built 6spd gaurenteed up to 77ft/tq for a year or 2. And then a cluthch and a few other part probably set me up to $3000 total the pedals are like $50 at junkyards. I have a place tha will do the install for $750 to $800.
    I don't want o come off like a jack A$$, but what's the name of the place that will sell you a built tranny for 3000?

    I would like to know, just so I could check them out. That's a really good deal and if its gonna be that cheap I might go that route and sell my V6 car for the cash to pay for the install and parts. Then I don't lose the money I've spent in the car and I should gain some RWHP since I won't have as much drive train loss that is associated with an Auto


    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    $5700 isn't far off I have seen seveal LS1 fbodies in descent shape for anywhere between $7000 and $9000k depending on year and mileage. I saw a 99 hardtop z28 6spd with 87k for $6995. Plus I can always sell my 93 5.0 LX vert if I want some cash to buy one nicer than my current TA.
    that's not too bad I guess... It's all in how much mileage you're willing to put up with really. The cars I look at routinely have less than 60k and they're always going for 12k+. I just can't justify buying a car with anywhere close to 100k miles. I've always considered them worn out by the time they dip into 6 digits.

    hell my T/A just rolled over 70 this month and its an 02. I'm the 2nd owner and don't DD it. I've only put 4500 miles on it in the last year.
    Last edited by AKA Speedy; 06-12-2010 at 10:56 AM.

  11. #31
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,996

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    BrianH, that TCI 6 speed auto is based off a 4L80E, which I've heard is too big to fit into the Trans Am transmission tunnel without some modification. How much modification, I don't know. Plus I think you'll need a different driveshaft...so figure that in.

  12. #32
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    it was tick performance that was selling me a built T56 with all new parts for 700ftlb tq delivered with a 1yr warraty for $2000 delivered. Then figure a cutch, flywheel, master clyinder and a few other part's like the pedal setup I had all the parts at just over $1000. Then there is install which is between $750 to $1000 depending on the shop.

    I know alot of people full full bolt on fbodies with 150k plus that use them as DD's. Unless you have a big cam and heads you still get decent dd car. I know people with H/C cars that use them as DD's and almost all have over 100k. 70k miles on these motors are hardly broken in as long as you keep the fluids changed. I have a Trailblazer for my shop truck and a 5.0 vert I use if I'm not picking up parts and both are 120k plus vehicles. Hell the LX is a 93. I usedto use to take my TA to work when it wasn't raining all the time. If it wasn't lowered and the driveway was paved where my body shop is I'd take the TA half the time. If you only have 70k you can get another 100k outta that car as long as you keep up the maintainance on it. 60k miles for $12000 and up is too much better keeping your TA you have now and getting one with 80k for $7000 or less. Difference between 60 and 80k isn't much. My Trailblazer had 80k when I bought vit and 125k or so now and it runs the same as when I bought it and so far it's only cost me 2 rear shocks, water pump, and a battery in 4 yrs. My TA has 85k and all it ever need was a new Batt and 1 window and 1 headlight motor. Everything else are bolt ons for speed. Although the shocks were pretty beat but it's a 98 and it spent 8 yrs as a DD in Mass through snow, rain, and everything in between.

  13. #33
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    BrianH, that TCI 6 speed auto is based off a 4L80E, which I've heard is too big to fit into the Trans Am transmission tunnel without some modification. How much modification, I don't know. Plus I think you'll need a different driveshaft...so figure that in.
    yeah... I did notice that after I posted. I know it will bolt up, but like you said I'm not sure what all else is needed for the fit.


    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    it was tick performance that was selling me a built T56 with all new parts for 700ftlb tq delivered with a 1yr warraty for $2000 delivered. Then figure a cutch, flywheel, master clyinder and a few other part's like the pedal setup I had all the parts at just over $1000. Then there is install which is between $750 to $1000 depending on the shop.

    I know alot of people full full bolt on fbodies with 150k plus that use them as DD's. Unless you have a big cam and heads you still get decent dd car. I know people with H/C cars that use them as DD's and almost all have over 100k. 70k miles on these motors are hardly broken in as long as you keep the fluids changed. I have a Trailblazer for my shop truck and a 5.0 vert I use if I'm not picking up parts and both are 120k plus vehicles. Hell the LX is a 93. I usedto use to take my TA to work when it wasn't raining all the time. If it wasn't lowered and the driveway was paved where my body shop is I'd take the TA half the time. If you only have 70k you can get another 100k outta that car as long as you keep up the maintainance on it. 60k miles for $12000 and up is too much better keeping your TA you have now and getting one with 80k for $7000 or less. Difference between 60 and 80k isn't much. My Trailblazer had 80k when I bought vit and 125k or so now and it runs the same as when I bought it and so far it's only cost me 2 rear shocks, water pump, and a battery in 4 yrs. My TA has 85k and all it ever need was a new Batt and 1 window and 1 headlight motor. Everything else are bolt ons for speed. Although the shocks were pretty beat but it's a 98 and it spent 8 yrs as a DD in Mass through snow, rain, and everything in between.
    still man for 4K I would straight up think about doing the swap. That's not near as bad as I thought it would be and I keep the gains of my own set up and don't have to spend money into another build on another car.

    As for mileage stuff... like I said I'm just not able to convince myself to buy a car with anything close to 100k on it also. I appreciate the insight on a ballpark for a T56 swap though.

  14. #34
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    You can get a stock T56 cheaper but I wanted a new built T56 so it could handle future mods. The price could go up depending on clutch brand and flywheel. Most people I know are just upgrading to the never vette clutches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what is it worth
    By purplebat66 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
  2. What's it Worth???
    By TopForm11 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
  3. is it worth it.....
    By 74batmobile in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM
  4. How much is this WS6 worth?
    By TheGimp711 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 08:37 PM
  5. Is it worth it?
    By svmetalman09 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •