Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Worth removing?

This is a discussion on Worth removing? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Thanks...

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Thanks

Red
    2002 TA WS6

My vote is to keep the seats, and add a K&N air cleaner, cam or something that makes more horsepower. If you run a few quarter miles with and without the rear seats, your times are not going to vary much. Your car will sure have more appeal with the rear seats in.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

If you haven't already, ditch the spare donut and the jack.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    If you haven't already, ditch the spare donut and the jack.
    Unless you have runflats, I wouldn't recommend this. You never know when you'll get a screw, nail or God forbid a thorn through your tire. Yes I know, A Thorn? Happened to me once. This idiot in a big truck didn't get over far enough on a two lane road and I had to get off a little to keep him from hitting me and low and behold, got a flat from a thorn.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Im running 18inch wheels with 275 tread. What the hell good is a donut gonna do me should I have that happen? I'd rather have a roadside repair kit ready to go than a damn donut.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i stripped out ~95 pounds the other day with removing my backseat, spare tire, jack, and passenger seat. 95 pounds is alot.

i have the passenger seat back in but no rear seats and no spare or jack. who needs em?

weight is the great equalizer. you can have your 600 hp 3700 lb car.

i'll stick with 410 hp and 3200 lbs when i get there.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Unless you have runflats, I wouldn't recommend this. You never know when you'll get a screw, nail or God forbid a thorn through your tire. Yes I know, A Thorn? Happened to me once. This idiot in a big truck didn't get over far enough on a two lane road and I had to get off a little to keep him from hitting me and low and behold, got a flat from a thorn.
    My factory Wrench wont work with these ricer rims the previous owner put on my car. So i took my spare and jack out. I do have a car of fixaflat in the back though... lol

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    My factory Wrench wont work with these ricer rims the previous owner put on my car. So i took my spare and jack out. I do have a car of fixaflat in the back though... lol
    fix a flat doesn't work with high performance tires!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Donuts can get you to your tire shop, no matter what your wheel and tire combo size is. Unless you have a huge truck, but that's not what we're talking about.

You can go to a Hardware store and buy a 6 point impact driver and braker bar to replace the stocker that won't fit in the wheels. I had to.

Some tire shops will not touch tire's that have the fix a flat, temporary hole plug crap in there. They'd rather just charge you for a new tire. So a donut that already comes with the vehicle is the way to go imo. It might look like crap, but you're only supposed to use it to get to a shop, nothing more.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i stripped out ~95 pounds the other day with removing my backseat, spare tire, jack, and passenger seat. 95 pounds is alot.

i have the passenger seat back in but no rear seats and no spare or jack. who needs em?

weight is the great equalizer. you can have your 600 hp 3700 lb car.

i'll stick with 410 hp and 3200 lbs when i get there.
    95 pounds? Holy $hit. Thats alot! How difficult is it to reinstall the rear seat setup? I might do this if it isn't difficult to get the back in for resale purposes.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    I was planning on doing the same thing. When I first bought my car, I removed the rear and passenger seats to shampoo the carpet. (I know, I am crazy). They are very easy to remove. Took me about a 30 minutes to remove the rear seats with simple hand tools.
    But anyway, I took it out for a drive and felt the car was way quicker and I think you would get better mpgs..... Now I am defiantly doing it...haha
    i tried to remove the back rest but those seatbelt holders are a bitch!! How did you remove the hex key bolts out of there it seems like mine are welded in there lol!! Let me know how you did it.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    95 pounds? Holy $hit. Thats alot! How difficult is it to reinstall the rear seat setup? I might do this if it isn't difficult to get the back in for resale purposes.
    two hex nuts to take the rear seat out, two hex bolts to take the buckets out. 5 minutes of your time. i think its a 13 mm crescent wrench and the same for a socket but dont quote me because i cant remember.

take my advice and just leave the buckets in. they weigh about a pound and in the event that people do pile in the back, they wont bitch at you relentlessly about the fact that they are uncomfortable and their asses are hot because the exhaust (mine) is dumped there.

buncha pansies
    Last edited by secondgearscratch; 08-10-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    i tried to remove the back rest but those seatbelt holders are a bitch!! How did you remove the hex key bolts out of there it seems like mine are welded in there lol!! Let me know how you did it.
    with a crescent wrench this is not difficult at all.

people....

you dont wanna remove the brackets that loop the seatbelt on the rear seat. the one that is connected to the top of the seat. this is unnecessary and you WILL break that plastic bracket before it comes loose.

just unbolt the seatbelt housing up by the rear speakers, one bolt on each side. then remove the nuts from the under part of the rear seat where they are connected to the car by the metal tab. pull it out.

very simple procedure that tends to get overanalyzed.

if i may add something also:

removing weight from the interior (if you choose this path) is a good idea. i am going through a big weight shaving period at the moment.

this all helps, but remember that the most profound gains from cutting weight is doing so on the moving parts of the car.

for example:

aluminum flywheel
    aluminum driveshaft
    lighter rotors
    lighter calipers (which means that if this is a street car and an occasional strip car you DO NOT need 4 piston calipers. they may look cool, but they dont serve any more of a purpose for this application)
    tubular k member

much weight can be shaved if the right areas are reduced. 3300 pounds or less is not unreasonable if you have the money and motivation.

2000 Trans Am

two hex nuts to take the rear seat out, two hex bolts to take the buckets out. 5 minutes of your time. i think its a 13 mm crescent wrench and the same for a socket but dont quote me because i cant remember.

take my advice and just leave the buckets in. they weigh about a pound and in the event that people do pile in the back, they wont bitch at you relentlessly about the fact that they are uncomfortable and their asses are hot because the exhaust (mine) is dumped there.

buncha pansies

Pewter
    2000 z28

read my other post....

2000 Trans Am

read my other post....
    sorry you posted that before i had a chance to check. So just remove the seatbelt bolts attached to the floor and the one at the top by the speaker huh? even those are hard as hell to remove it's like someone welded them in there.

2000 Trans Am

read my other post....
    i only have one hex bolt that holds the seatbelt to the floor. The actual seat belt goes into the rear panel. so how do i remove that?

Pewter
    2000 z28

i only have one hex bolt that holds the seatbelt to the floor. The actual seat belt goes into the rear panel. so how do i remove that?
    the one in the floor you will need to use an allen wrench to remove. the one in the rear up by the speaker should be a large socket, cant remember the exact size though.

98T/Aformula
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    The N02 bottle took place of the spare, looks like im screwed but my luck has held out so far lol...
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 08-10-2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Removed cursing

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula View Post
    The N02 bottle took place of the spare, looks like im screwed but my luck has held out so far lol...
    Dude, be a rebel like me. Screw that unnecessary cop snack.
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 08-10-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Removed quoted cursing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information