Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Wont Start

This is a discussion on Wont Start within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; well I got her back today from the dealer. It ended up being the ignition lock wire broke off at ...

Black
    02 WS6 TA

well I got her back today from the dealer. It ended up being the ignition lock wire broke off at the steering coloumn. They said that it happends all the time. So thank you everybody that posted I really do appricate all of the replys. So watch out kiddys in your ricers and all you Bustangs Im back!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by clow76 View Post
    well I got her back today from the dealer. It ended up being the ignition lock wire broke off at the steering coloumn. They said that it happends all the time. So thank you everybody that posted I really do appricate all of the replys. So watch out kiddys in your ricers and all you Bustangs Im back!
    Glad you got yours fixed. I've fixed a few GM cars for the broken wires in the steering column where I work, but not on F-bodies.

well mine is not a bad battery. how can you tell if your starter is the problem or the wires in the column ?

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6475hp View Post
    well mine is not a bad battery. how can you tell if your starter is the problem or the wires in the column ?
    The problem with both is that they are almost identical start with the starter first it is so close to the right cat its crazy the heat must be intense,thats why they fail over time.Recommend every one get a heat shield for it Now on the lock cylinder you will know im sure because all the lights will come on the dash but you wont hear a sound,will drive you nuts!!!

I took the ignition relay out of the under fuse box any tapped on it and put it back and it started. Could this be the problem. Does the ignition relay supply power the starter ?

Black
    02 WS6 TA

I tried to tap on the relay too. Didnt do anything. For me all my gage lights came on but that was it no clicking from the starter didnt even sound like I tried to start it.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6475hp View Post
    I took the ignition relay out of the under fuse box any tapped on it and put it back and it started. Could this be the problem. Does the ignition relay supply power the starter ?
    I"m not 100% positive. But I changed that out first also and it still did it, I started with that first.
    Last edited by feet739; 03-14-2009 at 06:12 PM.

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zedtwentyeight View Post
    crazy....i have the same problem and have had this issue since i bought the car a year or two ago. The issue started 5 days after i took the car home and i brought it right back. Dealer told me nothing was wrong with it. I brought it to them 5 times and they still couldnt diagnose the issue. They pretty much told me i was SOL because the problem never happened when it was in the shop. I actually had them keep it for 3 weeks....still nothing. So i have been dealing with the issue. Sometimes it takes me 10 min just to start the car, other times it fires right up...

dealers suck...i pulled the lemon law business with them and the laughed at me. So i wrote a letter and told them i would never buy a car from them again and i would make sure everyone i know knows they blow...

the saga continues...

My saga continues! after almost a year of intermitent starting issues, the TA is dead. I have bypassed the vats and still nothing. I hear the fuel pump engage but i am not sure if i hear the starter (not sure what that sounds like). I have tested every fuse in the car, all okay. The only thing i can think is my stater is completely shot (when i tap on it i still get nothing), or its a relay. Anyone have any other thoughts? I checked the clutch switch and it appears to be ok as well.....HELP

btw the dealer told me F off. Should i push the issue since i bought it with these problems? They say because they couldnt find the problem they are not liable...

White
    2002 WS6

anyone?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Do you have a test light or voltmeter and know how to ues them? Not being sarcastic, just don't know your particular skill level. You can check for power at the solenoid wire when you have someone put the key in the crank position. If you do have 12v then, you do have a bad starter.

White
    2002 WS6

well, i would say that my skill level is pretty high...i do have a test light and a multimeter and i will test is. the only issue is that my car is at my girlfriends apartment not my house, so my jack and all my tools are not there (not to mention the fact that the dealer is screwing me and i would like to screw them).

Either way, ill go get my jack this week and test it.

I played around with the thing today and my consensus is that the starter is shot...next step is testing the starting then trying to pop the clutch and get it to the house.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Keep us posted! Good luck, I hope it's just the starter.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

I messed around with mine last fall and into the winter and turned out to be an intermittent starter.

Almost bypassed the vats and then I just changed the starter and the problem is long gone.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information