Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Wont Start

This is a discussion on Wont Start within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Stealership is right!! They charged 434 dollars for my starter and 123 dollars to install it !! Its 2 bolts ...

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Stealership is right!! They charged 434 dollars for my starter and 123 dollars to install it !! Its 2 bolts and 2 wires!! 434 dollars for a rebuilt starter !! I only had to shell out 106 bucks the warranty covered it

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

my warranty covers all but $50 and towing and rental reimbursement. Best $12 per month add on I ever did.......lol.

I'll be singing a diff tune when that runs out I'm sure.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

What kind of a dumb ass doesn't check fuses first?

LOL. Me apparently. My thought to be blown BCM turned out to be 2 fuses that blew.......OMG!!

Warranty didn't pick it up either so, I was out $132 for the labor and fuses and $152 for the rental for a few days.

My fault though. I know better than that but, all the signs pointed to the BCM.

Live and learn I guess. I did all that the first time this crap happened and should have known better.

Last time I don't run that checklist.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Which fuses??

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    my warranty covers all but $50 and towing and rental reimbursement. Best $12 per month add on I ever did.......lol.

I'll be singing a diff tune when that runs out I'm sure.
    That's how they get you. "only $12 per month." We see some extended warranties where I work, amazing that people spend $1200-$1800 for that, I have also seen some contracts cost $2400. And most of those come with $100 deductables, add that to your $1500 contract every claim you get an and see who is making the $$$. Also amazing is how the warranty people try to exclude so many things, even dictate to us what we will charge.

I don't ever buy extended contracts, I guess I've been lucky all my life. Take your $1500 and put it in the bank for one of those unexpected expenses. I'm not talking about you guys in particular, just don't like those contracts.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Well, I've had to use the warranty a few times already and has saved me.

Air Conditioner June 2007-- $1400

BCM May 2008-- $700

Transmission cooling line November 2008--$196

The warranty cost me $576 so, I've got my money's worth out of it already I think.

Thanks for your comments though.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    That's how they get you. "only $12 per month." We see some extended warranties where I work, amazing that people spend $1200-$1800 for that, I have also seen some contracts cost $2400. And most of those come with $100 deductables, add that to your $1500 contract every claim you get an and see who is making the $$$. Also amazing is how the warranty people try to exclude so many things, even dictate to us what we will charge.

I don't ever buy extended contracts, I guess I've been lucky all my life. Take your $1500 and put it in the bank for one of those unexpected expenses. I'm not talking about you guys in particular, just don't like those contracts.
    Most warranties are just ways for the dealer to make more money off of the sale. There are some that are worth getting though.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Well, I've had to use the warranty a few times already and has saved me.

Air Conditioner June 2007-- $1400

BCM May 2008-- $700

Transmission cooling line November 2008--$196

The warranty cost me $576 so, I've got my money's worth out of it already I think.

Thanks for your comments though.
    You got a great deal on the extended warranty. Hell, I might even have bought one for a car, with a price like $576. Good job! And, made them pay. That's the best of all!

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    You got a great deal on the extended warranty. Hell, I might even have bought one for a car, with a price like $576. Good job! And, made them pay. That's the best of all!
    Yep, is $12 extra per month on my car loan and my car loan and my car loan is a 48 month loan.

I've only got 13,500 miles before it runs out though....lol. So, about another year maybe depending on if I can get a beater. Christmas and all has dampened my thoughts about getting a beater for the winter. January or February will work better for me.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Mine has been doing it intermittantly since I got my car in November. I finally got the starter replaced at a local garage for $230 labor included and a brand new starter not rebuilt. What a deal! It hasn't done it since. Now I don't have to park it on an incline so that I can roll it and dump the clutch to get her started!!! Glad this is over!!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well now I have noticed my car has a delay once in a while on these very cold mornings lately. Maybe my starter is beginning to fail. Go to crank, nothing, then try again, slight hesitation then it cranks and starts fine. I'll wait this out for now....

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Talking

Its been 2 months since the starter was done. Still starts every time

where you guys geting your new starters at,mine is doing it now with only 28,000 miles. It started today one minute it will start and one it will not. Mine is not turning over ,all my dash lights come on and the fuelpump runs but no turn over. If I wait a minute it might fire right up.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6475hp View Post
    where you guys geting your new starters at,mine is doing it now with only 28,000 miles. It started today one minute it will start and one it will not. Mine is not turning over ,all my dash lights come on and the fuelpump runs but no turn over. If I wait a minute it might fire right up.
    Mine is fine now! Thank god,got my starter at checkers is is an autolite starter rebuilt.

I think I might have a bad battery now. I put it a battery charger on it for a few minutes and it fired right up 2 times in a row. Could the battery have a bad cell or something wrong with it to make it act up just sometimes. The car sat for a couple months and the battery went dead so I charged it up a few days ago and drove it around and shut it off it would not start one minute so I would let it sat for a second and then it would fire right up . This morning I went to a few stores and shut it off twice and it started fine. I parked it in front of my garage for a few hours and it would not start again untill I put the charger on it. The battery is 3-4 years old,redtop optima. My car only has 28,000 on it. My alternater is working fine it shows it is charging the battery at 14 volts when started up and then it goes down a little. I guess I should take the battery to the autozone and have it checked first.

Black
    02 WS6 TA

Unhappy My Baby Wont Start, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Well its sounds like I need to be in this conversation, mines (01 WS6) gone to two shops, first a regualar mechanics shop and they said that something has to be reprogrammed and they cant do that there, now its on its way to the dealership. Hopefully they get it, I feel like a douch bag drivin anything else besides my baby. Its been doing the same thing everybody elses is doing, turn the key the lights on the gages come on like they always do, lights are bright, gages jump, but no clickin from the starter, ignition, nothing. Whats the majority of everybodys problem been with this so far? Help me O' Trans Am God! I've had to many kiddys in ricers and mustangs passin me up this week!! Drives me CRAZY!!!

A4 Red
    1999 Trans Am

i had the same problem (lights on, fuel pump on, hit & miss cranking), and it was my ignition cylinder that had gone bad. You might want to start there before doing unnecessary replacements

Black
    02 WS6 TA

Thanks Red TA its goin to the dealer in the morning, I've still got a warrenty so its not costin me anything

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by clow76 View Post
    Well its sounds like I need to be in this conversation, mines (01 WS6) gone to two shops, first a regualar mechanics shop and they said that something has to be reprogrammed and they cant do that there, now its on its way to the dealership. Hopefully they get it, I feel like a douch bag drivin anything else besides my baby. Its been doing the same thing everybody elses is doing, turn the key the lights on the gages come on like they always do, lights are bright, gages jump, but no clickin from the starter, ignition, nothing. Whats the majority of everybodys problem been with this so far? Help me O' Trans Am God! I've had to many kiddys in ricers and mustangs passin me up this week!! Drives me CRAZY!!!
    Mine was the ignition cylinder.There are two wax coated thin wires that attach to it,over time from all the turning off and on of the key they rub up against the cylinder causing them to wear off the wire coating.The exposed wire touches the metal cylinder causing the problem. the cars anti-theft belives its being tampered with,One of my wires completely snaped you cannot even clutch start it because the security system shuts the fuel system down. Also check the starter they fail over time from the extreme heat from the cat.

Update on mine . I started the car up and drove it to autozone they checked the alternator and battery. Alternator was good I knew that,but they said the battery was showing need charged and this was after I drove it to them. I always thought your car would charges it battery while driving it around. So I put it on the slow charger for a few hours and we will see how it does. This all started after I had to charge the battery after it sat for 2 month during the winter. All I did to get it started at that time was put in on the charger for a few minutes just to get it started.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information