Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Wont Start

This is a discussion on Wont Start within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; What was wrong with it??...

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

What was wrong with it??

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Hey 95CamaroZNC, what was the problem and how do you know that it's fixed for sure???

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Still got the same problem. A week and a half and it started every time. On today it failed to start. I put in the new clutch switch as well. It has a new ignition lock which should eliminate the VATS, a new ignition swith and the above mentioned clutch switch. Sometimes it wont start after 2 or 3 tries it starts. Sometimes only after one failed attempt it will then fire right up. There is no pattern to it. Whats left?? The starter relay in the fuse panel under the hood on the drivers side? Then maybe the starter itself? Its hard to diagnose since after the first failed start it fires up any ideas?? Would this sort of problem set a code. This is driving me nuts!!!

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Anybody got a hint? Can I bypass this problem with a pushbutton switch directly wired to the starter?

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Hey Retired Cop, I emailed 95camaroznc, asking him what his fix was. Hopefully we will hear something soon....

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

ok thanks

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Casue i replaced the starter and the car turns over and runs like a champ every time, Sorry for not being more descriptive.

Btw a starter only runs 150 bucks, by now its cheaper then all the other carp youve done.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Hey Goldcuffs I replaced the starter relay today it was only eight dollars. You advised me to hook up a light to the exicter wire on the starter. Where is this wire?? 95camaroZNC thanks for the heads up on the starter. I will keep you guys advised on this problem.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Well if it was the starter im sure theyd have caught that.

I hope your up and doing again soon.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Cop View Post
    Hey Goldcuffs I replaced the starter relay today it was only eight dollars. You advised me to hook up a light to the exicter wire on the starter. Where is this wire?? 95camaroZNC thanks for the heads up on the starter. I will keep you guys advised on this problem.
    On the starter you will have the big post which is constant battery voltage and then a little post which is the exciter wire. I believe there will be 2 little posts but only one will have a wire going to it and thats the one you want. Like I said If you don't know if your even getting voltage to the starter when this occurs it would tell you a lot to at least know that. Let me know if you need any more help.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Smile

Thanks

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    On the starter you will have the big post which is constant battery voltage and then a little post which is the exciter wire. I believe there will be 2 little posts but only one will have a wire going to it and thats the one you want. Like I said If you don't know if your even getting voltage to the starter when this occurs it would tell you a lot to at least know that. Let me know if you need any more help.
    Is there a place under the hood where I can connect the exicter wire without crawling under the car? ( I am getting old )

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by feet739 View Post
    I was having the same problem,frusrating isn't it!! It will be 1 of three things there is a 20 dollar clutch actuator,or the switch in the steering column or the ignition lock at the end of it a wire can break or come loose from the tilt steering wheel being moved up and down over the years. Mine was at the end of the ignition lock.Common problem the dealer said.
    There are two wires that run from the ignition lock down the steering column. They are very thin with a waxy coating,over the years from moving the steerin wheel up and down and turning the ignition on and off they rub against the lock,I saw this myself when they took my steering column off to put a new ignition lock in. The coating on the wires had been worn through exposing the wire. When you stick the key in the rotation of the cylinder over time chaffes the waxey coating off from rubbing.My Mechanic to prevent this in the future wraped those two wires in electrical tape,GM could of designed that better,I was told that they did after 2002. Common problem with these great cars,but never again with mine

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

A new lock has been installed

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Excellent!

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

feet739 a new lock was put in and it still kept doing to same thing. However I think I have found the culprit. This afternoon it would not start. I crawled under the car and gently tapped the starter several times with a hammer. IT STARTED!!! The starter has a bad spot on the armature. Any comments from anyone following this thread would be good to read.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Man this is a toughy!! Did the dealer check the starter? And remind me once again,when you turned the key was there any cranking sounds,and also was the clutch actuator checked?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

feet739 a new lock was put in and it still kept doing to same thing. However I think I have found the culprit. This afternoon it would not start. I crawled under the car and gently tapped the starter several times with a hammer. IT STARTED!!! The starter has a bad spot on the armature. Any comments from anyone following this thread would be good to read.
    Sounds like you found the problem finally. Starters can be very intermittent like that.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

The problem is intermittent. It would fail to start once every week or so. When the dealer had it, it would always start. I think they guessed on the ignition lock because the problem resurfaced. When I took it back they said the problem could not be replicated. Out of frustration I told them to put in the ignition switch. It did the same thing after a week or so it would not turn over. Maybe I should have been saying it would not turn over instead of failed to start??. Anyway I took it home and decided to try to find the problem myself since a GM dealer can drain all but the largest bank accounts. So I put in a clutch switch 8.00$ and the starter relay 9.00$. It still did the same thing. On yesterday I tried to start it. It would not turn over. I got my trusty carpenters hammer, crawled under the car (not easy at my age) And tapped on the starter, I got back into the car pushed down the clutch and it started right up. Sometimes a starter will have whats called a bad spot on the armature. Tapping it with a hammer vibrates the assembly and moves the armature out of that spot. The car then starts, bad starter. An old trick I learned when I work the electrical dept at Sears Auto when I was a kid. I am going to wait until it does it again to make sure. Thanks for you guys concern.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

The problem is intermittent. It would fail to start once every week or so. When the dealer had it, it would always start. I think they guessed on the ignition lock because the problem resurfaced. When I took it back they said the problem could not be replicated. Out of frustration I told them to put in the ignition switch. It did the same thing after a week or so it would not turn over. Maybe I should have been saying it would not turn over instead of failed to start??. Anyway I took it home and decided to try to find the problem myself since a GM dealer can drain all but the largest bank accounts. So I put in a clutch switch 8.00$ and the starter relay 9.00$. It still did the same thing. On yesterday I tried to start it. It would not turn over. I got my trusty carpenters hammer, crawled under the car (not easy at my age) And tapped on the starter, I got back into the car pushed down the clutch and it started right up. Sometimes a starter will have whats called a bad spot on the armature. Tapping it with a hammer vibrates the assembly and moves the armature out of that spot. The car then starts, bad starter. An old trick I learned when I work the electrical dept at Sears Auto when I was a kid. I am going to wait until it does it again to make sure. Thanks for you guys concern.
    I run into that problem at work, I get a no start work order for a car and half the time it is a "no crank", not a "cranks no start". It does help to be specific. Not dissing you, ya know. And you described a dead spot on th amature nicely! We see that sometimes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information