Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Winter Storage Tips

This is a discussion on Winter Storage Tips within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I just picked up a optima red for the TA works awesome i have had one in the jeep they ...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I just picked up a optima red for the TA works awesome i have had one in the jeep they are awesome battery's left the dome lights on in the jeep over night went out there the next day and it didnt miss a beat fired right up WORTH THE EXTRA

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

in a garage under a cover with stabil and a batry tender and mabe a set of jack stands is all you need starting it is not needed and some say is bad to do if you dont drive it but not sure

Red
    2001 ws6

its not "bad" if you run it without driving it, they just say it doesnt really do much, you need around 8 miles of driving for the altenator to fully charge the battery so you would have to let it sit there for a while to equal 8 miles of driving

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

I ran the optima battery in my dirt track car. No altenator. Would run all night on a 350 chevy with HEI and still show 100% the next day.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    its not "bad" if you run it without driving it, they just say it doesnt really do much, you need around 8 miles of driving for the altenator to fully charge the battery so you would have to let it sit there for a while to equal 8 miles of driving
    Save yourself 8 miles and just put a" battery tender" on it.
    Keeps the battery charged all winter long....Don't worry about the rest of the car it'll be there come spring...........
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((>`..`.><((((>

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

thats what i was told but like i was trying to say is you dont need to just some stabil and a bat tender and thats all you need the jack stands are only for longer times

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    in a garage under a cover with stabil and a batry tender and mabe a set of jack stands is all you need starting it is not needed and some say is bad to do if you dont drive it but not sure
    Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    Keeps the battery charged all winter long....Don't worry about the rest of the car it'll be there come spring...........
    all i was doing was answering his question on weather it was bad to just start your car and let it sit there, no need 2 be a smart ass

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

sorry to sound like that just wanted to clarify what i sed that all

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    Which battery tender would you recommend?! I went to batterytender.com and they have the Twin, the Plus, the Jr, etc.

Last winter my battery went dead. I jumped it in the Spring and had to get the Hawk inspected and it would not pass inspection. Apparently when the battery dies, all the sensors go dead as well. It failed the next 3 times because not all of the sensors reset at once. What a pain. It won't happen this year because I'll have a battery tender!

Please, any feedback?!

Awaiting Activation

black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2K2 HAWK View Post
    Which battery tender would you recommend?! I went to batterytender.com and they have the Twin, the Plus, the Jr, etc.

Please, any feedback?!

Walmart has a Black & Decker brand battery tender in their automotive section. they are around 15 dollars or so. Two setting, 1 and 2 amp. Come with detachable alligator clips and a pigtail you can fasten directly to the terminals. I have two so far, one on my cycle, and one on my 72 olds.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Last winter my battery went dead. I jumped it in the Spring and had to get the Hawk inspected and it would not pass inspection. Apparently when the battery dies, all the sensors go dead as well. It failed the next 3 times because not all of the sensors reset at once. What a pain. It won't happen this year because I'll have a battery tender!

Please, any feedback?!
    it just seem weird to me that all you sensors would go dead b/c of a bad battery. That just doesnt make much sense, what exactly went wrong after your batt died?? Not talking shit here, i am just trying to fig. out what the problem is, b/c a dead batt will not make your sensors go bad, there has to be another problem there

NBM
    2000 WS6

Please, any feedback?!
    The Jr. is a good one......Should be able to buy a good battery tender of any kind for $20 to $50 depending on brand and a few options. A good tender is 1-2 amps and is fully automatic meaning it shuts off when it reaches its fully charged state and not over charge.....

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    it just seem weird to me that all you sensors would go dead b/c of a bad battery. That just doesnt make much sense, what exactly went wrong after your batt died?? Not talking shit here, i am just trying to fig. out what the problem is, b/c a dead batt will not make your sensors go bad, there has to be another problem there
    Yeah, it was definitely weird. I never had that happen before, but then again I hadn't owned a car newer than 1996 before... Anyways, I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to car computers, but apparently when you hook the inspection computer to the car computer, it reads 5 different sensors. Because the battery went dead over the winter (original battery from 2002) the info for these sensors were lost and it failed inspection. I was told that I had to drive the car 10-20 miles and that should be good enough to reset or allow the new sensors to gather information. Well, when I went back the second time, only 3 of the 5 had reset, thus it failed again! So frig this, I drove the car for the week, added 500 miles onto odometer, brought it back for a third inspection, and it passed!

Supposidly this happens to all "newer" cars when the battery dies for a prolonged period. Or maybe it is just mine...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

ok yes now what you say make sense, i thought you meant the snesor actually wend "bad" like total malfunc. It makes sense that they were jsut erased and had to relearn. you computer just had to relearn everything , she was running with amnesia haha. glad it worked out for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information