Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winding Noise?

Pewter
    01 WS6 TA

Winding Noise?

Hey guys,

For some time now, i have noticed an odd "winding" sound as im going through my gears. I've noticed it through all gears once i pass around 1800 RPM's as it gets louder. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Sounds as if its coming from the front of the car...

any help would be appreciated.

01' WS6 T/A

Pewter
    01 WS6 TA

no one?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Mine does it too, it sounds almost like a soft whine of a supercharger, but I don't have a supercharger

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

do either of you have aftermarket stereo??? i'm drinkin' but my first thought is alternator noise through aftermarket amplifier...fixable....experienced it myself and fixed; no more noise!

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

mine makes a whining noise too. i always just thought it was the intake or something. its sounds cool, it doesnt sound as if something is wrong though. dunno if it would be the same thing.

Pewter
    01 WS6 TA

do either of you have aftermarket stereo??? i'm drinkin' but my first thought is alternator noise through aftermarket amplifier...fixable....experienced it myself and fixed; no more noise!
    Well that noise was there before i put in my aftermarket system, and is now still there, and it doesnt sound like it is coming from speakers/amp/etc. Makes me wonder.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am WS6

you might want to check on your rear diff. i just took mine it, and they found metal shavings in the rear diff casing.

NetrixTardis

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Bad WS6 View Post
    Well that noise was there before i put in my aftermarket system, and is now still there, and it doesnt sound like it is coming from speakers/amp/etc. Makes me wonder.

Okay, does the noise go away when you turn off your stereo? I have noise in my transmission which I suspect is the throwout bearing. It goes up an down with speed in any gear. Another culprit could be the input shaft bearing, but nothing too serious. Not sure if you have the same noise though.

Mine sounds more like a bearing noise/marbles than a winding/supercharger noise.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Throw out bearing?

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Stricken1 View Post
    Throw out bearing?
    Yeah, the part that engages when you press your clutch pedal(I have an M6). I confirmed it with a GM vehicle test pilot/mechanic.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I have a 99 WS6 M6 and I noticed the same sound similiar to that of a supercharger when I had my alternator replaced. I took it back to the dealership and they said they didn't hear anything unusual (big surprise).

black
    2000 TransAm

it might be your gears. I know 3.73's whine if your used to 3.42's. 4.11's whine REALLY loud.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

So has anyone with the "supercharger-type" whine noticed if the noise goes away when you turn your stereo off? It could be a crappy ground. Especially for you, Tony.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I have the sound with or without the stereo being on. It is a really soft whine and not noticeable at highway speed but from a dead stop it sounds like a supercharger. Thanks for the bad ground idea I am going to have a different dealership check it this week.

black
    2000 TransAm

Tony, unless this is a lot louder than I think, I think it might be normal. Have you compared it to other TransAms/Camaros from your year range 93-97 LT1 or 98+ LS1. This would gve you a clue as to whether or not it is your gears.

black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am M6

anyone figure this out? my 02 ws6 six speed has a whine like a small supercharger when i pick up speed like getting on a hwy in that aspect. steady cruz or idle the sound is not there. i put volt meter to battery with car running it showed 14.5 amps even with radio on. belts look good im stumped here lol. if its a bad ground i dont want to short something out. hoping someone found something out by now?

Blue/green
    1998 firebird

Winding Noise?

My 89 firebird has a similar noise but it almost sounds like a whistle. Mine is an automatic. Don't really know what it is but only does it on start up.

Blue/green
    1998 firebird

Winding Noise?

98 sorry

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be all sorts of things. Does it sound like it is emanating from the engine or transmission?

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Has anyone tried taking both serpentine belts off? Both the main serp belt, and the a/c belt. Then start up the car. This will eliminate all the accessories like water pump, idler pulley, alternator, power steering, and a/c from making noise and hopefully narrow down your noise. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND, YOU CAN'T RUN THE ENGINE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE RUNNING THE WATER PUMP! You will probably also have a check engine light on after doing this, but that will go away after you reinstall the belts and start up the car and let it idle for a bit. I've done this before to find pesky noises.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Thread Information