Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

Wierd rattling noise inside fender wells..

the noise is a constant rattling noise coming from in between the fender and the inner rear sail panel..it only occurs when hitting any minor bumbs at all or even going really slow down a dirt road..I figured it could be the shocks but the shocks wouldnt rattle unless they were completely shot and theyre not..plus my dads z28 does the same thing and replacing the shocks did not work for him..i checked the speakers and theyre were tight with new clips..what else could it be? anyone else expierience this? it sounds like its right behind the doors above the tires? Ive also checked all inner fender moldings and plastic shrouds and anything loose I rebolted. Didnt help

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

driver/passenger side? There's not a whole lot of material between inside and outside of the car. Are you sure it's inside? Exhaust hitting PHB, maybe. spare tire junk?

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

both sides more on the passenger though..all spare tire junk is stripped just and amp and battery cap down there but that stuff is all bolted down tight ive checked and double checked it..sounds like it could be under the car too but in that general area? i cant freakin pin point it its annoying

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Well, I had some similar issue and drove mine up some rhino ramps and chalked the wheels. Then crawled underneath and pushed up on the body to lift and lower it on suspension and find the issue (car's fairly light). Ended up being a piece of the sheet metal they have underneath. A screw fell out causing noise.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

i see well seems like a simple obvious fix ive been under it plenty of times but ill try that thanks

black
    2002 WS6

There are a few things that can cause that noise, the heat sheilds, worn LCAs can cause it too. I replaced mine as one was jacked on at some point and damaged. That seems to have solved some of it. I have also noticed that the tail pipe on the passenger side has come into contact with the spare tire well a few times too.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The front heat shield where the exhaust pipe goes up over the rear axle. Ours started vibrating and making noise after the catback install. Sounded like it was inside the car and had me searching for a bit until I figured out what it was.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

well i was under it looking around and had my windows down music on and a front blew in and dropped 20 degrees and blew a sand storm in surrounding me so i tasted that shit..ill check it out another day when the weather permits...stupid tx weather...

black
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    There are a few things that can cause that noise, the heat sheilds, worn LCAs can cause it too. I replaced mine as one was jacked on at some point and damaged. That seems to have solved some of it. I have also noticed that the tail pipe on the passenger side has come into contact with the spare tire well a few times too.
    +1 on the lower control arms. if the vertical bushing is busted pretty bad that will allow the control arm to slap around in the k-member causing your rattling. but you say it sounds like its behind the door above the tires... hmmm, check all your bushing and make sure they arent cracked or busted looking. you said you live in texas so that makes me think dry hot air=dry rotted bushings, just an idea. also claytonr, the picture of the smoothie II's. is that what you have on your car? i just ordered the TT M'S and they look similar. looks good

Thread Information