Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why are products for the 1998 not available?

This is a discussion on Why are products for the 1998 not available? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 00ls-1 ive got a lid and k&n filter but i felt a better difference with the 85mm ...

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Im going for a street machine

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls-1 View Post
    ive got a lid and k&n filter but i felt a better difference with the 85mm maf sensor it actually made the car run funny til it got used to the air and the traction bars BIG plus on take off with drag radials i cant hardly break loose
    I am sure the drag radials really help with the traction and lower ET's. For me I am going for a close to stock street machine. But out of curiosity what was your 1/4 mile time? Were those your only mods? If I were to go to the track swapping on some other rear wheels with slicks would hook up much better I am sure.

The SLP cold pac includes the lid and smooth bellows and blackwing filter and some other parts, but can be turned back to stock, another member said that worked for them.

I have new Goodyear F1 GSD3's on the car, came with them but I would have got them if I had a choice. The unidirectional tread pattern is good for a rainy place like Seattle, not today it is 90, but 75% of the time.

A friend has a 93 Formula that is stock LT1 and a 78 TA with heavily modded bored, balance, blueprinted 455 built by pro drag race machine shop, has well over 500 HP, BUT says that his times are no better due to lack of traction, he has some pretty big tires on the back but still his ford 9 inch just smokes the tires and fishtails the car. Slicks and suspension would help but that is a good example of technology.

Your goals are just a bit different than mine I think.

I am hoping someone from my area will recommend a Dyno Tuning shop for the computer.

I have had great luck with Bilstiens (plan to get some on the TA) they came stock as part of my vettes Z-51 package, that car handled awesome but the LS1 is so much better a motor, wish my vette would have had that for the power then it would have been pretty sweet.

Silver
    2000 z28

i dont know my quarter mile time but i ran the 1/8th one night the track hed never been burned or scraped so noone really hooked up there i was steadily running 9.1s and my brothers gt steadily ran 9.5 he went to a new track and ran 8.7 1/8 and 13.8 1/4 and i spank his ass on the street so i know my time is better than his still hes done way more to the stang than i have to the camaro and hes got 180k less miles than i do
    2000 z28 granatelli lid k&n air filter 85mm maf sensor lakewood adjustable traction bars nitto drag radialsgot 3.73s but not installed yet waaaay more to come

Silver
    2000 z28

nitrous is a good power adder too and can easily be removed

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Not in to the gas

nitrous is a good power adder too and can easily be removed
    You are correct, most power for the money, but it only is good for a short time at full throttle, puts a lot of extra stress suddenly on a stock motor and if there is a fuel shortage things get ugly and expensive.

Yeah your traction I think is doing a lot for you. Burnouts look cool but your car is not moving very fast, plus if they are expensive street tires it is an expensive show.

BTW I made a mistake about my exhaust, I have just driven so many of these lately, much more than my OWN one. It does have the stock single outlet.

The exhaust shop guys suggested just a muffler for this car for dollar per gain, and that is often the advice I have received with newer cars.

It is cool to see what others are doing and the results, my goals are not too lofty I dont think though, 1- 1.5 seconds off stock and I will be a happy camper. It wont happen overnight but I dont really race, I just like to drive hard sometimes. If I race it is on my crotch rocket and that is only to put down some dude with lots of bucks and a new Porsche or something that thinks he is special.

Silver
    2000 z28

i hear ya...my buddy ran a 150 shot on his stock motor not arguin w u though i told him it was stupid too but best bang for the buck...i know a guy that has only headers and exhaust and he walked away from a turbo wrx w mods and at 60 he was still makin smoke off his tires i think just got one of the abnormally fast ones though lol

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I believe it

i hear ya...my buddy ran a 150 shot on his stock motor not arguin w u though i told him it was stupid too but best bang for the buck...i know a guy that has only headers and exhaust and he walked away from a turbo wrx w mods and at 60 he was still makin smoke off his tires i think just got one of the abnormally fast ones though lol
    I believe it, no doubt what nitrous does, but its application is very limited (full throttle drag racing) and I am not looking for those 10 second bursts of power that is not kind to a stock motor. It is good not to get beat by a car that looks like a VW Rabbit for sure.

Another story that has nothing to do with anything...my family owns a stock 1970 GTO with the HO 455. Bought new in 1970. Just lower gears would make it much faster. Anyway I was driving it in town and some guy in an import something or other wanted to race at a stop light, so I obliged, I beat him though my car was not straining or at full potential, when we got to the next light he rolled his window down and said " I know those things are fast but my car has a turbo and 230 HP!" I told him my car was stock and had over 400Hp and 500Ft Lbs or torque stock. I dont think he was an engineer or anything from his statements. I was more confused by his surprise than anything. Yeah my bike has 130HP, but it weighs 450 Pounds. And I thought I was bad at math.

Silver
    2000 z28

lol...those bikes are fast id prolly get one if i wasnt tryin to build the ls1 im goin to the track within the next couple weeks ill let ya know my 1/4 mile time...my bro still sayin his stang is faster after ive prooved it 3 times lol you know how mustang drivers are... its kinda funny though we're twins and we've got the 2 rival cars

Silver
    2000 z28

about tuning it you can send your computer to slp and they will tune it for you

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Cool

lol...those bikes are fast id prolly get one if i wasnt tryin to build the ls1 im goin to the track within the next couple weeks ill let ya know my 1/4 mile time...my bro still sayin his stang is faster after ive prooved it 3 times lol you know how mustang drivers are... its kinda funny though we're twins and we've got the 2 rival cars
    Yeah I have seen some WS6 mustang races on Youtube.

Bikes are a different dog, I have been riding for 25 years and they are one of the quickest ways I know to kill yourself. Seriously. Also they are truly the best bang for the buck in the world. Especially a Jap bike. My bike is an 02 Suzuki Bandit 1200S with a jet kit and pipe (only modded as they leaned it out to pass Epa that year) and now it does the 1/4 in 10.0 seconds. Now newer bikes are even faster bone stock so if your car doesn't do 9 second 1/4 miles dont try to race a crotch rocket. It does take far more skill to ride a bike aside from it being so dangerous, your tread contact patch is very small, but what an adrenaline rush! Also kids that ride in T-shirts and tennis shoes and would not wear a helmet if it was legal think they are invincible and they are not, I wear full Alpinstar Kevlar gear but still at speeds over 100 I will just leave body parts for a mile down the road were I to crash. If you do get a bike though riding classes and expensive gear are mandatory or dont even consider it. Sport bike riders are cool guys and if you break down or lay your bike down 99.9% of other sport bike riders will stop to help you out in half a second like they came out of nowhere. I have NO problem with Harley or cruiser bikers but they dont seem to want to be friendly as much.

Hearing mods and numbers help, though with your sort of tires it really helps you in a drag situation. I am hoping to figure out a combination of parts that the stock drive train can withstand because I dont have the money to buy a new tranny or other major part, MUCH of the reason I bought a low mileage car.

Mustangs are cool, but I like our cars better too. My first car when I was 16 was a 1971 Yellow and Black Mach One Mustang. It wasnt super fast but a hell of a lot of fun, and a fold down rear seat

Silver
    2000 z28

i agree w the gear my little brother has an 07 i think is the year honda cbr its a 1000 or 1100 whatever size it comes in but i know its not the 600 and hes got all the gear i think his boots alone were like 400-500$

nice on the mustang got a fast car and can still get in the back

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Yeah you get it

i agree w the gear my little brother has an 07 i think is the year honda cbr its a 1000 or 1100 whatever size it comes in but i know its not the 600 and hes got all the gear i think his boots alone were like 400-500$

nice on the mustang got a fast car and can still get in the back
    Yup when I was 16 that fold down rear seat was the most important part of the car.

I had a thread on here about manual vs automatic and people were very opinionated, but I dont think they got my subtle comment that one of the benefits of an automatic was if you had a friendly girlfriend.

Good to hear he has the gear, I have all Alpinstar stuff, it is the only way to go, still if you crash at high speed they will be finding pieces of your head in your broken helmet and on the freeway for a long way. I have seen this in person and dont know any bike rider that doesnt know someone that has a similar story. Even a 600 is not a joke, as long as you dont weight 300 plus pounds. The big bikes though are ridiculous, yet thrilling.

Silver
    2000 z28

Lol mine is auto wish it wasn't but like you said bout the gf lol

I agree there was a guy I think in Dallas ran off the road and went under a street sign and hit it with his head broke his helmet but saved his life we was pretty messed up but still pulled through because of the helmet...

Red
    98 Trans Am

agreed about l98s being kinda like red headed step children lol (my cars red too) Alot of specific parts are always associated with 99-02. Oh well. Ill be sending my PCM off to frost soon.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

wowzers. a 100-150 shot will not harm the motor as long as your timing isnt messed with. completely stock bottom end ls1s can handle it. nitrous isnt like the fast the furious nitrous. Detonation is the killer of engines and when people run to large of a shot or have a tune designed for a N/A they get detonation and kill motors.

one thing you should remember about nitrous

dont fear the nitrous , fear the tune.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Fast N Furious?

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    wowzers. a 100-150 shot will not harm the motor as long as your timing isnt messed with. completely stock bottom end ls1s can handle it. nitrous isnt like the fast the furious nitrous. Detonation is the killer of engines and when people run to large of a shot or have a tune designed for a N/A they get detonation and kill motors.

one thing you should remember about nitrous

dont fear the nitrous , fear the tune.
    Man that was a cheesy movie. Hollywood movies are rarely good examples of realism with cars. Herbie didnt talk, the General Lee did not survive those flights through the air (there were LOTS of General Lees) and crash landings. I will have to agree to disagree with you about the laughing gas, there are too many variables and one big killer is not enough fuel when that gas is hit, I am not saying it will blow apart a perfect condition motor the first time out, but it is not taking it easy on the motor and things can go wrong. My bigger point though was how limited its use was, only under WOT conditions and only for a matter of seconds ie. drag racing.
    There is a good reason that is the only place you will find N02, on drag cars. Not on Supercars, even ones with 1000 Hp that cost a million bucks.

Silver
    2000 z28

Agree on the movie thing they used like 6 or 7 Eleanores on gone in 60 seconds lol

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Not to mention the drivers

Agree on the movie thing they used like 6 or 7 Eleanores on gone in 60 seconds lol
    I liked that movie better, but as your stats point out still just hollywood, that was the mustang that jumped over things and came down crashing right? The drivers of course were all professionals and not big Vin or Nicholas Cage. Paul Newman is getting old but was a legit driver, though too valuable to risk his getting injured none the less.

Sorry for this getting way off topic, I take the blame, but it is cool talking to other owners.

artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Watch the original Gone in 60 seconds, they used only one mustang in that one.That car was beat to hell, but they never had special cars for special scenes. It now sits in a museum in its beat up shape.

If you want in the 12's with an auto, all you should need is a good stall and some 3.73 gears. Keep all the parts you take off the car, and when or if you decide to sell it, say you have all the original parts to return it to stock, then you can really mod it if you want.
    Suncoast Creations hood, p&p throttle body, LS6 intake, Dart 225cc 2.02/1.60 heads, TSP 233/239 cam, Hooker headers, 3" duals, Yank SY 4000 stall, LS6 oil pump, double roller timing chain, iridium plugs, Moser 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. Vizage body kit.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2658525

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I have thought about the gears

Yes its an auto. Remember I have researched these cars for a while, driven several but only owned one for a week. I have thought about the gears in the rear differential, a common suggestion and has always been something one has considered forever in getting lower ET's and a good one. It makes sense when wanting to be quicker. I also have considered the chip that can be programmed for higher performance or switched back to stock. I am going to take my time figuring out the right combination for my particular goals which includes seeing what all the other owners have done and how things have turned out, both good and bad. On a different site I have had photos of supposedly "built" transmissions broken due to an error by a company I was interested in at the time. I appreciate your and everyone's suggestions and experiences.

As for the movie I have no idea, I will take your word for it, but it is the cars that do jumps and land hard and you can see the damage and then they drive off. A car all smashed to hell sounds about right. I have not seen that movie in a long time but personally liked it better than Fast and Furious. Of course if there was one car they just shot the scene of it being all fixed up at the end at the start of the movie. My point was Hollywood cars and mods and such are rarely anything like the real world. Sort of like the common issue with guns that shoot 50 times their capacity of rounds without reloading.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Darts

BTW those Dart heads are pretty sweet!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information