Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why is my stock exhaust so quiet?

This is a discussion on Why is my stock exhaust so quiet? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 7camaro7 ^? Hey man I thought you said you were black, never heard black folks talk like ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    ^? Hey man I thought you said you were black, never heard black folks talk like that before.
    lol yea what can i say, all my friends are preppy..and so am i now, sorta .. so it rubs off

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yea its fine..are you talking about having stock pipes then a aftermarket muffler and tips? the only difference between what you have and a cat-back system. is mandel bend piping and larger dia. piping. what you have is muff-back system ..yea i totally just made that up.

So whats the point of everyone buying all new exhuast and new pipes? Wouldnt it be cheaper to do it the way I did it? Or does the bigger diameter piping give it more power

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    So whats the point of everyone buying all new exhuast and new pipes? Wouldnt it be cheaper to do it the way I did it? Or does the bigger diameter piping give it more power
    well to a extent..like a 4in or 8in wont do shit and actually hurt your performance. they buy cat backs becuase the mandel bend pipes flow smoother and the bigger pipe.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Shady Milkman I get ya! hahaha

To the guy about the exhaust, I read some where on here that there is a restriction ring in some of the exhausts. I think they called it the o ring. They said you can stick something in your tail pipe(I guess a water hose or something) and if it stops before your muffler you've got it and if it doesn't then you don't. by the way I heard it was like only on one side. I haven't checked mine yet.

Blk/gld,Wht,Blu,Blk
    78TA,81PaceTA,92RS,02Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    "78TA,81TTA,92RS,02Hawk
    Blk,Wht,Blu,Blk "

Nice collection there.............
    Thanks. I love these cars (too much). Still need to finish the two 2nd gens once I have some money.

As far as the exhaust being too quiet I suggest listening to it from outside the car when someone else is driving it. The stock WS6 exhaust sounds pretty good (to me). Just enough volume to be heard and a beefy note.
    Though entirely different exhausts, I was surprised to hear how much better and louder my hawk exhaust note was when I was on the side of the road shooting it passing by. I had always complained it was too quiet when driving it. I complain no more.
    Of course, if it's obnoxiously loud sound you want, as many young enthusiasts do, then some type of aftermarket will be the cure. Corsa sounds good and loud, and as mentioned before, the SLP loudmouth is too.

black,blue,red
    97 lt4 ws6,98firehawk,91z

corsa

corsa no to the loud mouth the corsa has no interior resononce like most others
    yes go cat back to lesson restriction and make more power
    dont stuick a h2o hose up the pipe. thats to blow out the packing rednecks do that to glass packs
    Last edited by socal; 12-10-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

no I'm not talking about glass packs. There is a ring in some of the cars' exhaust piping and something like a water hose will let you know if its in there. I never said turn the water on. someone on this site showed pics of it and everything after they'd cut it.

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

i put on a magnaflow wide open cat back and love it, or a y pipe back since i have no cats !!

black,blue,red
    97 lt4 ws6,98firehawk,91z

i wasnt comenting on what you said camaro7 but just suggesting no one do it sorry but i have, had and work on alot of f bodies especially 4th gens i've never seen or herd of these restrictor ring can you get a pic some one

ban-one
    its the muffler bearing once them things go bad they hinder sound but not performance.....jk. i was wondering about x pipes on fbodys a buddy of mine as a slp loudmouth and a turn down after the muffler and it sounds okay but i really like they way corvettes sound with an x pipe with like a borla or a corsa cat back and was wondering how the f bodys sound with an x but ive only found the pricey as all hell bassani and a texas speed one that i have no idea what it sounds like so im reluctant to buy an exhaust system before i hear it.

98' trans am

http://www.ls1sounds.com/ try looking for stuff there.

Red
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by s99ta View Post
    the cut out is pointless unless you are going to drag race it a lot. i think they sound like shit. like i said earlier i have the edelbrock muffler with 3'' mandrel bent pipe and it is loud enough.
    +1

Also, if you drive your car everyday the loud drone of a performance exhaust gets old quite quickly. Fortunately I only drive mine on the weekends so the noisy exhaust is like music to my ears..

ban-one
    I want an x pipe and right now im looking at the texas speed one. however my friend with an slp loudmouth said although the x pipe cars sound good they dont perform as well as the y pipe cars is there any truth to that or what? I dont think it makes a difference what do yall think?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ban-one View Post
    I want an x pipe and right now im looking at the texas speed one. however my friend with an slp loudmouth said although the x pipe cars sound good they dont perform as well as the y pipe cars is there any truth to that or what? I dont think it makes a difference what do yall think?
    very little diff. not enought to shake a stick at.
    Last edited by shady milkman; 12-13-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit400 View Post
    Yes, the loudmouth will give you some very noticeable volume, and a rather nasty, mean sound as well.
    +1 w/LT's and an ORY, like mine...hahaha
    too loud for some pussies, but perfect for me. had a guy in an Evo chase me down to tell me I had the loudest fucking F-body he's ever heard...

2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

ban-one
    thanks man thats what i thought

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information