Why does everyone want 2-$3000 over their blue book pricing

This is a discussion on Why does everyone want 2-$3000 over their blue book pricing within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok... So every time I see a for sale ad for a WS6 people are asking $2-$3,000 or more over ...

Why does everyone want 2-$3000 over their blue book pricing

Ok... So every time I see a for sale ad for a WS6 people are asking $2-$3,000 or more over blue book pricing.. Whats with this.. I understand that some have extensive mods, but most have hardly any and still want way over blue book pricing... Whats the deal here?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Blue book prices are usually fairly low. Depending on availability in the area, prices can range quite a bit. Plus, seeing as how the WS6 only ran from '96 to '02, and there really isn't a chance for a return of them, the value will increase among enthusiasts. I would ask much more than blue book for mine, but I have a lot invested in it. Those that don't have any mods are usually highly sought after, either by collectors or someone who wants a fresh base to start a build without worrying about what someone else has done.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

What Walt said and plus in this economy everyone is wanting more cash for anything period.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

If you were a seller of one that was in exceptional condition, low miles, no accidents, paranoid maintenance, no surface blemishes etc, then you would value it higher than other comparable ones for sale. If you were a buyer looking for an exceptional condition WS6, then you SHOULD expect to pay the price of admission. Or you can pay less for one that isn't as nice, but be careful that you understand how much it will cost you to get it into the condition you desire. You'll ALWAYS pay for the best quality. Pretty hard to find the best at the cheapest price. Maybe but not likely.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked26 View Post
    Ok... So every time I see a for sale ad for a WS6 people are asking $2-$3,000 or more over blue book pricing.. Whats with this.. I understand that some have extensive mods, but most have hardly any and still want way over blue book pricing... Whats the deal here?
    Cause they can........ Gotta love it.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

These are rare cars. It is not like Pontiac is still producing them. If someone wants one bad enough, they will pay any price. Most buyers are looking for ones close to stock or completely stock. Try looking at Toyota Supra's. Those are a very good example of overpriced, but because of how rare they are people will buy them.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

You can fly down and buy my car, im asking 200 bucks under

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    These are rare cars. It is not like Pontiac is still producing them. If someone wants one bad enough, they will pay any price. Most buyers are looking for ones close to stock or completely stock. Try looking at Toyota Supra's. Those are a very good example of overpriced, but because of how rare they are people will buy them.
    Supras are are rare because when they were new, Toyota overpriced them. Now the owners pass that savings on to you... ;p

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked26 View Post
    Try the NADA guide. It should give you a much better number. Also look at Ebay to see what they are selling for.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Try the NADA guide. It should give you a much better number. Also look at Ebay to see what they are selling for.
    Its all what the seller can get. And a good low mileage one will always be over the NADA price.

P.S. I grew up in Lafayette.....
    Last edited by 4get gto; 01-30-2012 at 04:10 PM.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

North/South Texas has the highest # of WS6/Fbodys driving around in the country, and they're still rare as hell down here. Every time you see a WS6 in good condition on craigslist or similar site it's sold within a week or 2 max. If you want a lowish mile WS6 in really good condition be prepared to pay, tack on an M6 to that and you're looking at atleast 10k+ for something nice with some mods. It's not unusual for ones with mods and low miles to go for 11-14k around here, that's almost 03/04 cobra price range. These are cash cars but don't let that fool you into thinking you're gonna find one for 7k....but heck you might get lucky, who knows.

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

I just bought my first Firebrid last week. I had been shopping around the internet for one for about 3 months before I finally found one that I HAD to have (under KBB, btw). One of the first things I noticed was the ridiculous prices some of these people are slapping on their cars. I understand that Trans Ams/Formulas are not being made anymore, and that they are sought after by many, but come on! An 01 WS6 with 100K miles on a knocking engine and tranny that doesn't work is NOT WORTH $10,000!

But then agian....now that I have one....I would probably put a dumb price on it too just because I am emotionally attached to it now.
    Last edited by chris1974; 02-06-2012 at 10:19 AM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by chris1974 View Post
    I just bought my first Firebrid last week. I had been shopping around the internet for one for about 3 months before I finally found one that I HAD to have (under KBB, btw). One of the first things I noticed was the ridiculous prices some of these people are slapping on their cars. I understand that Trans Ams/Formulas are not being made anymore, and that they are sought after by many, but come on! An 01 WS6 with 100K miles on a knocking engine and tranny that doesn't work is NOT WORTH $10,000!

But then agian....now that I have one....I would probably put a dumb price on it too just because I am emotionally attached to it now.
    That is some of the problem.

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    That is some of the problem.
    I agree....but can you blame them?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Remember, an economy is how a market deals with scarcity. The less of something that can be found, and the more a segment want's it, brings up the price. WS-6's are rare, especially in decent condition. Car purchases, for the majority of them, are an emotional transaction, otherwise we'd all be driving some passionless four door pig of a car. Value isn't an arbitrary number that can be found in a book. The buyer has the final decison on the products value for them. If you feel its too much cost for value, you don't buy it. If you know its going to cost you more than you can afford, dont buy it. How many people buy a 50's. 60's or 70's muscle car willy-nilly and find themselves unable to make it their dream car because its a rust bucket or something? A bunch. I took a 3,000 dollar hit on a vortec headed 383 I had built for my '89 when no one locally would put the "souped up" engine in the car when my 305 TPI blew out. My best suggestion is that you sit down and really think about things economically and emotionally when comming up with an answer. It might not be in your best interest to buy the car when your financially recovering. When one door closes, another frequently opens. If this one wont work for you, something else might pop up when you are better able to enjoy it.

Bright Red

You are absolutely right, Whamhammer. And to the OP, if one car seems too expensive or it's not worth the money they are asking, or if something in your head tells you to walk, then walk. When you find the one you want that is worth it to you, you will know it. I looked for about 6 months before I finally found mine. It was soo hard too. I had the money....I wanted one now! lol But, I waited till I found "the" one, and pulled the trigger. Glad I waited now though.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

You know when I was car searching awhile back, I found a good looking black WS6 with 33k miles at a Chevrolet dealership (at least from what the pictures showed of it). The blue book value for it at the time was 15k, the dealership wanted 20k for it. When I actually went there to look at it, it had a bad bad spot on the front bumper, a few small things were broken, the exhaust was spitting black smoke, and it didn't feel as powerful as it should have been. I came in with a printed KBB price reference, and they told me that KBB is only used as a quick "reference" that had nothing to do with what they're really worth..

Honestly what a bunch of scum bags, I hope they went bankrupt.

Bright Red

^^ No kidding. I'm sure it worked out best you didn't get that car.

I guess there's a reason we call them stealerships. lol

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Oh yeah lol. It was a rich dealership too, just looking to make a few extra pennies from the stupid college kid who wants one. Buyer Beware!

Silver
    2002 Pontiac Formula

I live in Sioux Falls South Dakota and drove 80 miles to Iowa to get a 2002 Formula(non WS6) with 79500 miles for 8700. There were other cars in Sioux Falls for sale a 2001 WS6 for 13k with 87k, the same dealer also had a 1998 WS6 with 121k for $9000 . Mine doesn't have leather or a ram air hood but is that worth and extra 4k?

Thread Information