Thread: whisper lids

red
    1999 Tran-Am WS7

whisper lids

ok, so i ordered one of the whisper lids and got it put on my '99 WS6 a few nights ago. i know that some lids dont fit very well but jeez, it took me about 1 hour JUST to get that thing to fit even just a little and my clamps wont even stay closed. is there any way to fix this or just take it like a man and live with it? thanks

Lids are a tight fit - the lip of the lid needs to be inside the upper lip of the airbox (think that's how to say it, had the same issue with the clamps when I got mine years ago). Also make sure it's pushed back as far as it will go into the slots. There's a whisper lid install guide on installuniversity.com

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I have the same clamp problem. I just did a temporary fix with 2 zip ties just to hold the clamps down. But if you could take a pic to show what you mean about the lip I think that would help. oh, I also have the slp bellow so that might be the problem. it seems like the lid is as far back as it could go, or at least as far back as the bellow will allow it to go. Transamdude you have the bellow also?
    Last edited by sirenformula350; 04-21-2007 at 02:10 PM.

There's some pics in this thread - scroll down to post 14: www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11525 Just the area in between the clamps goes inside the lower portion of the airbox.

red
    1999 Tran-Am WS7

Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    I have the same clamp problem. I just did a temporary fix with 2 zip ties just to hold the clamps down. But if you could take a pic to show what you mean about the lip I think that would help. oh, I also have the slp bellow so that might be the problem. it seems like the lid is as far back as it could go, or at least as far back as the bellow will allow it to go. Transamdude you have the bellow also?
    hey, i will take some more detailed pics tomorrow when i get the chance. the ones i took when i got it on were pretty much taken about 5 feet back. but yeah, to answer the question about the bellow.....no, i dont have a bellow. everything is pretty much "as is" on the car when i put the lid on. i tried getting the lid as far back as it goes but there is a small bow in the lid which is making it very difficult to get it to fit right! anyways, i will post pics ASAP

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

yeah those pics were exactly the way mine looks on there. If you really can't get it to stay down I could take a pic to show you what I did with the zip ties. It was really simple to do and took like 2 mins.

CETA Yellow
    2002 WS6 CETA

Had the same problem when I first put mine on. I got so fed up that I left it like that for a couple of days. I was playing with it yesterday, and noticed that when I pushed it towards the mass air flow I was able to get the clamps to stay. Basically try to get the lid to fit "inside" of the lower assembly.

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The best air intake is the K&N FIPK 57 SERIES. Easy to install, best horsepower rating over all filter/ lids on the market.

RED
    98 T/A

ok I had the same problem, what I did was cut my inlet tube a bit with some scissors then I put the lid on and only 1 side would clamp...left it like that for a week, then I guess I broke the lid in and the other clamp held the lid down really good...so break in the lid for a week and it should be good to go

Thread Information