red
    2001 pontiac WS6

where do i jack the car up from

ok i might be an idiot but where is a good spot to jack the car up from. Im trying to paint the calipers and i cant find a single good spot on the axle to jack it up. I dont mind doing it one at a time and i dont have jack stands, can anyone PLEASE tell me the best spot. Pictures would be greatly appreciated

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    ok i might be an idiot but where is a good spot to jack the car up from. Im trying to paint the calipers and i cant find a single good spot on the axle to jack it up. I dont mind doing it one at a time and i dont have jack stands, can anyone PLEASE tell me the best spot. Pictures would be greatly appreciated
    getting you a picure...

1998 Trans Am

use thew jack in the trunk, and put it under the notched areas i'm pointing at in the pictures, its THE safest way to jack the car up, those notches are reinforced by a few sheets of steel, the instructions on your jack will tell you the same thing

front^

rear^
    Last edited by justinmc978; 04-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

awesome thanks man,

Don't jack the front where the front fenders bolt to the pinch weld on the bottom next to the door!!! It breaks the flange on the fenders, and ruins the panel alignment.

2000 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    Don't jack the front where the front fenders bolt to the pinch weld on the bottom next to the door!!! It breaks the flange on the fenders, and ruins the panel alignment.
    got my car with that already done and damn it pisses me off every time i see that gap being off

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Z28boy2000 View Post
    got my car with that already done and damn it pisses me off every time i see that gap being off
    my old firebird was like that, tried taking a rubber mallet to it and made it worse

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28boy2000 View Post
    simple fix jack the car up from the sub frame,unbolt the 2 10mm bolts at the bottom of the fender,take a bigass pair of pliers and bend the fender mount flange back,then rebolt and wala your aligned again

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

^^Unless the panel cracked to pieces
    But good tip. I may try that on mine

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

if a popping noise is heard when opening or closing your f-body doors this is the problem as well.the fender has 3 adjustment points at the rear of it,1 being the area always screwed up from idiots jacking it up ,2 midway inside the fenderwell and 3 at the top near the windshield.99% of the times the reason is the mounting flange at area # 1 is damaged.

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

oh ya if your fender is bent on the bottom a heat gun and a little patience will get it like new,if its cracked thats ok to just heat straighten and epoxy her and wala.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by WS6S View Post
    simple fix jack the car up from the sub frame,unbolt the 2 10mm bolts at the bottom of the fender,take a bigass pair of pliers and bend the fender mount flange back,then rebolt and wala your aligned again
    what if your fender mount flange is already bent so bad by the jackass you bought the car from that you can't get the bolts out? haha.. i'm gonna have to try the bigass pair of pliers without unbolting the fender, on both sides...... you think he would of learned not to do that on one side before doing the other side... Some peoples kids...

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Tx98Formula View Post
    what if your fender mount flange is already bent so bad by the jackass you bought the car from that you can't get the bolts out? haha.. i'm gonna have to try the bigass pair of pliers without unbolting the fender, on both sides...... you think he would of learned not to do that on one side before doing the other side... Some peoples kids...
    u can do it 98formula

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Lift points for F-body

Personally, I have a few lift points I prefer.

To lift the whole rear end, a floor jack positioned carefully under the differential is perfect. Be careful though, or you'll bend the differential cover. Some shop did that to mine and now it's leaking.

To lift the whole front end, a floor jack under the middle of the engine cross member works best. It's a bit difficult to get it started. If you have the luxury, drive it up on ramps first, and then lift it just a little and you can slide the ramps out.

For the front corners, right under the control arm works (like immediately inside of your front tires).

If you have a flat tire and can't get to the control arm or the cross member, put the jack beyond the official jacking point, and lift on the subframe. It's square box piece that leads forward.

For the rear corners, lift at that side of the axle. If you can't reach that, lift just ahead of the rear wheels.

Remember, if you're lifting on a control arm or the axle, you're lifting directly up on where the wheels are, so it'll start moving immediately. If you lift on the frame (as it is), you have to lift beyond the full movement of the suspension before the tires will clear the ground.

And if you don't have a floor jack, so you can't get to the good lift points, go buy a floor jack. Honestly I don't remember what the spare tire jack looked like. Mine came out to put the NOS tank in, and I lost track of it years ago. Kinda silly since I took the NOS tank back out years ago too. I didn't like how much a new clutch cost.

I've done a few "repairs" where someone lifted the front of an F-body with a jack and bent where the fender mounts. A big pair of slip joint pliers will do it efficiently, although there are better ways to do it (as others have said). Sometimes that piece will bend from hitting a big rock or driving over a curb, so you may find it necessary to straighten it without ever have lifted it incorrectly.

Hopefully you've read up on painting, so it won't flake soon after you do it. I opted just to clean mine up with a wire brush, and keep them clean when I wash the car. Well, silver calipers on a pewter car look good. Dirty calipers just ... well ... look dirty.

Red
    2001 ws6

u using a floor jack? if so jack it up from the center of the rear end

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JWSmythe View Post
    Personally, I have a few lift points I prefer.

To lift the whole rear end, a floor jack positioned carefully under the differential is perfect. Be careful though, or you'll bend the differential cover. Some shop did that to mine and now it's leaking.

To lift the whole front end, a floor jack under the middle of the engine cross member works best. It's a bit difficult to get it started. If you have the luxury, drive it up on ramps first, and then lift it just a little and you can slide the ramps out.

For the front corners, right under the control arm works (like immediately inside of your front tires).

If you have a flat tire and can't get to the control arm or the cross member, put the jack beyond the official jacking point, and lift on the subframe. It's square box piece that leads forward.

For the rear corners, lift at that side of the axle. If you can't reach that, lift just ahead of the rear wheels.

Remember, if you're lifting on a control arm or the axle, you're lifting directly up on where the wheels are, so it'll start moving immediately. If you lift on the frame (as it is), you have to lift beyond the full movement of the suspension before the tires will clear the ground.

And if you don't have a floor jack, so you can't get to the good lift points, go buy a floor jack. Honestly I don't remember what the spare tire jack looked like. Mine came out to put the NOS tank in, and I lost track of it years ago. Kinda silly since I took the NOS tank back out years ago too. I didn't like how much a new clutch cost.

I've done a few "repairs" where someone lifted the front of an F-body with a jack and bent where the fender mounts. A big pair of slip joint pliers will do it efficiently, although there are better ways to do it (as others have said). Sometimes that piece will bend from hitting a big rock or driving over a curb, so you may find it necessary to straighten it without ever have lifted it incorrectly.

Hopefully you've read up on painting, so it won't flake soon after you do it. I opted just to clean mine up with a wire brush, and keep them clean when I wash the car. Well, silver calipers on a pewter car look good. Dirty calipers just ... well ... look dirty.
    dont put jacks under the crossmember ever

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Why isn't the easy answer, Under the differential and under the K member? Easiest, quickest, just as safe.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Why isn't the easy answer, Under the differential and under the K member? Easiest, quickest, just as safe.

amen sister !

Thread Information