Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

What's the chances of...

This is a discussion on What's the chances of... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I bought my 97 Trans am last month, and it has the WS6 badge on the back. I got it ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member SurfaceGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9

    Red
    1997 Trans am

    What's the chances of...

    I bought my 97 Trans am last month, and it has the WS6 badge on the back. I got it from an older guy who I don't THINK would just throw the badge on the back end. However, it doesn't have the hood, or the airbox. Has WS9 and Y84 which i haven't seen on this site and it's codes. I only bought it cause it was that model...

    ...and the 51,000 miles and only paying 6500 didn't hurt either though

  2. #2
    Junior Member cocobolo95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fruitland Park Florida
    Posts
    43

    black
    1995 transam

    I looked up the codes on several sorces and they said WS9 = model conversion formula, what ever that means and Y84=transam GTA

  3. #3
    Junior Member SurfaceGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9

    Red
    1997 Trans am

    Thanks for the info. So is the GTA a crap version of the T/A? I don't know much about them yet and still wondering about the WS6 emblem..

  4. #4
    Junior Member cocobolo95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fruitland Park Florida
    Posts
    43

    black
    1995 transam

    From what I've learned the gta was the top of the line transam with more performance oriented options rather than luxury, or is it the other way around. ??? WS6 emblem, I think was added or bumper changed because, I believe, true ws6 car would have the code included in option list.

  5. #5
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    If it doesn't say "WS6" on the rpo codes sticker then it's not a real WS.6

  6. #6
    Junior Member Zabo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Age
    30
    Posts
    73

    Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am M6

    Y82/83 is the generic RPO turning a Formula into a T/A. Y84 was the GTA code (too lazy to googlefu) but that car was pretty much a pigged out T/A. All these gizmos and doo-dads that made it look like the "car of the 2000s!"

    In the end it was just a 3rd gen that weighed 3700lbs unloaded.

    I'd say your car is a normal T/A vert. My car has WS9/Y82 which makes it a Trans Am.
    Last edited by Zabo; 07-13-2010 at 12:12 PM.

    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WA408G Maple Red w/ factory Hurst 6spd
    -Bendix Discs
    -Wagner Thermo-Quiet Ceramic Pads

  7. #7
    Senior Member Schmalgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,060

    04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

    Quote Originally Posted by SurfaceGod View Post
    Thanks for the info. So is the GTA a crap version of the T/A? I don't know much about them yet and still wondering about the WS6 emblem..
    No it's definitely not a crap version of the TA. The GTA was the high-end TA. I didn't think they made GTAs in 97 though. I thought they were on the late 80s models...

    I agree with Zabo, it sounds like it's a regular TA...

  8. #8
    Junior Member SurfaceGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9

    Red
    1997 Trans am

    So a regular T/A? Makes it kinda seem eh? Thinking I got hosed.

  9. #9
    Member bryceslu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    467

    Black
    00 NHRA Formula

    Wow...lot of misinformation in here. do a search at the top of this forum for rpo codes.

    Also if it doesnt say ws6 in the rpo's its not a legit ws6!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Schmalgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,060

    04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

    Quote Originally Posted by SurfaceGod View Post
    So a regular T/A? Makes it kinda seem eh? Thinking I got hosed.
    Oh I don't know. A 13/14 year old TA with only 51,000 miles doesn't suck. $6500 seems reasonable for that...

  11. #11
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
    Y82/83 is the generic RPO turning a Formula into a T/A. Y84 was the GTA code (too lazy to googlefu) but that car was pretty much a pigged out T/A. All these gizmos and doo-dads that made it look like the "car of the 2000s!"

    In the end it was just a 3rd gen that weighed 3700lbs unloaded.

    I'd say your car is a normal T/A vert. My car has WS9/Y82 which makes it a Trans Am.
    dude.....i would bang an aids infested midget in a gator filled pond for your car....my favorite color.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Schmalgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,060

    04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

    Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Wow...lot of misinformation in here. do a search at the top of this forum for rpo codes.

    Also if it doesnt say ws6 in the rpo's its not a legit ws6!
    What misinformation do you see? Others have said the same thing about the rpo code, and we've discussed GTA a bit. I see no 'misinformation'...

  13. #13
    Orig Regist: 9/98
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    535

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
    Y82/83 is the generic RPO turning a Formula into a T/A. Y84 was the GTA code (too lazy to googlefu) but that car was pretty much a pigged out T/A. All these gizmos and doo-dads that made it look like the "car of the 2000s!"

    In the end it was just a 3rd gen that weighed 3700lbs unloaded.

    I'd say your car is a normal T/A vert. My car has WS9/Y82 which makes it a Trans Am.
    Clarification, WS9 indicated the Firebird came w/ a V8. Formulas ALSO had W66, while T/As ALSO had either Y82 or Y83 if it was a coupe, or Y84 if it was a 'vert. Comp T/As and Formula Firehawks ALSO had R6V (although in '97, it appears that some T/As other than just the Comp T/As had R6V, not sure what this makes them). If the car doesn't have RPO WS6 on the door decal, the badge was added by a previous owner.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 07-13-2010 at 12:54 PM.

    Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

  14. #14
    Orig Regist: 9/98
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    535

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    No it's definitely not a crap version of the TA. The GTA was the high-end TA. I didn't think they made GTAs in 97 though. I thought they were on the late 80s models...

    I agree with Zabo, it sounds like it's a regular TA...
    I believe someone is confusing GTA w/ T/A-GTs. The 4th gen T/A "GT", I believe, was a slight trim upgrade that included the uplift spoiler (before it became standard on T/As in '97) and leather seats. I believe GTs were available only in '94-'95 and had RPO Y83 (there may have been another RPO that went along with it, not positive there). Interestingly, all '93 T/As had RPO Y83 (yet were not designated as "GT"), and by '96 RPO Y83 was gone (all T/A coupes had Y82). There were also 3 '94 T/A 'verts that came w/ RPO Y83 instead of Y84.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Schmalgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,060

    04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    I believe someone is confusing GTA w/ T/A-GTs. The 4th gen T/A "GT", I believe, was a slight trim upgrade that included the uplift spoiler (before it became standard on T/As in '97) and leather seats. I believe GTs were available only in '94-'95 and had RPO Y83 (there may have been another RPO that went along with it, not positive there). Interestingly, all '93 T/As had RPO Y83 (yet were not designated as "GT"), and by '96 RPO Y83 was gone (all T/A coupes had Y82). There were also 3 '94 T/A 'verts that came w/ RPO Y83 instead of Y84.
    Ah you might be right, I had forgotten about the TA GT, only seen a couple references about that here and there...

  16. #16
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    so let me get this straight, you bought it because you wanted a ws6 and you thought it was one because you saw the badge? The hood and airbox is the most obvious thing imo along with the rpo door code. Either way i still think you got a nice deal. the 97s are the LT1s correct? ehh

  17. #17
    Member 00ls-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kilgore Texas
    Age
    32
    Posts
    378

    Silver
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    so let me get this straight, you bought it because you wanted a ws6 and you thought it was one because you saw the badge? The hood and airbox is the most obvious thing imo along with the rpo door code. Either way i still think you got a nice deal. the 97s are the LT1s correct? ehh
    Yeah the last year for lt1

  18. #18
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    thats what i thought the 97s always throw me off

  19. #19
    Junior Member Zabo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Age
    30
    Posts
    73

    Maple Red Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am M6

    Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    dude.....i would bang an aids infested midget in a gator filled pond for your car....my favorite color.
    Well if you had 10.3K to blow two weeks ago you could have had it.

    As for the RPO codes. My bad on the stuff I got wrong. I'm more or less learning as I go to figure out my own car as well; thought I'd share what I found (or thought I found)
    Last edited by Zabo; 07-13-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Not my "how I got my bird" story thread. Aka off topic.

  20. #20
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    IIRC (mind you I'm a Z28 guy not a T/A guy) the 94/5 T/A GT's also had a button on the console that changed the shifting firmness and rpm of the tranny if it was an A4 car.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

    2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

    2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

    Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what are my chances
    By davidz28 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 07:00 PM
  2. What are the chances of 2
    By 02sunsetorangeZ in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
  3. 2 GT'S my chances?
    By 02sunsetorangeZ in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 12:31 AM
  4. What are the chances?
    By clg82 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 11:18 PM
  5. what are my chances?
    By cam02ss in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •