sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

What is your car worth? (READ before posting)

My objective with this is to make you a good salesman for your precious F-body (or whatever car you want to sell) and get you the price that you want. This thread is a response the the high number of "what's it worth?" threads being posted, I hope this gives you a better idea and some useful info for ways to maximize your selling price!

Condition: This is probably the most obvious/important thing, CLEAN YOUR CAR, spend some time detailing it. A dirty, stinky car will scare people away faster than anything else. If you have cracked bumpers or mismatched paint, directly address the issue in your listing, let the buyer know they are going to get a deal because of the car’s substandard condition. Ignoring things like this that really matter to the buyer will make them think you are going to be unreasonable in your pricing.

Color: You would think rarer color = more value right? Well maybe not... Remember, there’s a reason colors like purple, gold and light blue are so rare, they didn't sell well new. Most buyers preferred red, black or silver. If you are willing to hold out for the right buyer to come along who is looking for something different, you may get a little more than the average colored car is worth, but don't expect anyone to appreciate the odd shade as much as you do.

Trim levels WS6/SS: These high(er) performace trim packages obviously add some value to your car, but how much? A clean Z28 might sell quicker and for more than a beat up SS, solely on the fact that the buyer percieves it as being worth more, (this really reflects how important presentation and condition is, and I cannot stress that point enough). But what if you have a Z28 and an SS that are exactly identical, what's the difference in price between them? Whatever someone is willing to pay. There is no 'set value' for how much more an SS is worth over a Z or a WS6 is worth over a base Trans Am. Now that you can't buy them new for a set price on a dealer's options sheet, there just isnt one. In your ad, be sure to tell the potential buyers that you have an awesome rarer model, and that that definitely contributes to the value of it!

Mods: Heads, cam and intake mods are expensive, no doubt, but to many people (including myself) they not only do not change the value, they reduce it. Buying a modded car can be scary; did the person who built it know what they were doing? Has it been abused? These are scary thoughts to potential buyers. Having documentation of a reputable shop having built your motor is a great thing to have. Also, presenting the car after it has been cleaned inside and out will give the impression that the car has been taken care of. When I see a modded car that has busted up bumpers and a ratty interior, the first thing I think is that the condition of the motor likely reflects the condition of the rest of the car. Above all, remember you will NEVER get your money back for the mods you have done, that $400 Magnaflow exhaust system should be seen as an extra bonus that the buyer is getting, not an additional cost.

Location: This is important; it’s a supply and demand issue. There were more F-bodies sold in Dallas, TX than anywhere else in the world, it’s no wonder they sell for so cheap in areas near there relative to the rest of the US, because there are so many on the market to choose from. In Europe or Hawaii, you would expect F-body prices to be sky-high, due to the obvious rarity. This is definitely something to consider, check your local Craigslist ads, see how many options your buyers have.

Marketing: THIS. MATTERS. Who would you rather buy a car from?

AY I GOT TRANS AM FIREBIRD 4 SALE SOOOOO FAST AND SHES CLEEN!!!!! BAD A RIDE SO HIT ME UPP!!!!
    or

Selling my 1998 Pontiac Trans Am, 305hp, well taken care of, call for more information.
    I don’t think I need to explain the power of composure and proper grammer any further. Additionally, clean the car and take nice pictures in front of a lake or by a sunset. Really explain why your car is THE ONE to buy; is it reliable? Does it turn heads? Is it fast and fun and make all the girls scream?! You will get more people inquiring about it and your chances of selling it for the price you want is more likely. I once sold a car to a mom who said she decided to call me because I had written in my ad that the car "could go from New York to California without a single problem". I wasn't lying, but key points like that are things the customer likes to know, so don't be afraid to brag on your car a little bit!

Final general tips:

Scout your competition; what else do your potential buyers have to choose from? How are you pricing and presenting your car relative to the competition? Mileage and trim levels are the easiest and key things to look for here.

How quickly do you have to sell your car? You can get whatever price you want for your car if you keep it on the market for long enough, but sometimes these time restraints will force you to settle for less.

Get your buyer to see the car in person. Tell them you can work out a deal if they come out, they may feel pressured to buy the car if they have sunk time/gas costs into it. Don’t be afraid to drive to them either; just don’t expect them to pay for your gas if they decline your lowest offer!

Posting ads on Craigslist is free, put a high offer out and wait a week, if you get no calls, chop $1000 off the price and post again, eventually you will find a good threshold where you are getting a good number of serious inquiries. If you feel you have posted your bottom dollar and still aren’t getting any calls, regroup, try to market yourself better, (see above). If all else fails, sometimes you have to man up, bite the bullet, and cut your losses.

Kelly Blue Book and fellow forum members cannot tell you how much your car is worth, the red $10,000 Camaro I buy in Pennsylvania in the Summer is not going to be the same as a white $10,000 Camaro I buy in Arizona in the Winter. There are far too many factors and in the end it comes down to you and your buyer both being in the right place at the right time, because a car is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Good luck with your sale!
    Last edited by justinmc978; 11-14-2011 at 02:05 PM.

1998 Trans Am

if there is anything I missed let me know..

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

good thread!

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

You hit the nail on the head my friend! That's some good info
    2002 Camaro SS Black Betty
    Suspension:
    Poly Trans mount, Solid Motor mount, Strut tower Brace
    Performance:
    SLP intake, Smooth Bellow, A.I.R Delete, M/T's on Salad Shooters
    Apperance:
    Re-Badged, Ultragauge, Whistler Mod, Racing Seats, Auto Hurst Shift Handle

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good info! Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

1998 Trans Am

thanks guys

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

A rule of thumb for modded cars is 15% of the cost of the mods can be added to the asking price. Doesn't mean you will get it, but it gives a decent starting point for the seller if the car is heavily modded.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Very nice.

KEY: "because a car is only worth what someone will pay for it."

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Great write up,i sell cars on craigslist all the time & have got awesome results with each sale,i sold a 99 Grand Prix GT once & the guy was sold on just because i took the time to buy new headlights for the car,i just had the car painted,so i knew old dull looking headlights would stick out like a soar thumb so i changed them,im just particular about things like how a car runs & looks so i could credit that to my success,every car i ever sold looked & performed well while in my possession,a buyer sees that and that makes the process of the sale smoother
    Last edited by fbodyNATION; 11-14-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Very good detailed thread.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stickied.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

well done
    much is common sense, but it all needed to be said.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

It's one of the most complicated questions each individual owner faces. However, the answers long & short add up to one simple fact: Anyone's car is worth what a buyer is willing to pay. PERIOD.
    I understand all the variables with stock, modified, low mileage models, but your car has to appeal to a buyer that likes your car over the others that he has seen. Once you're over that hurdle, then the buyer has to agree with your price and is it worth, or not worth, paying more for yours because it's turn key and doesn't require additional funds to bring it up to the standard the buyer is looking for. I was in the super luxury end of the car business for most of my career and we could sit with a beautiful machine, that was on paper overpriced, for maybe close to a year. We knew that eventually the "right" buyer would come along and pay all the money because it met the buyers wishes and expectations. We could have sold it many times over if we totally blew it out or took it to auction and sold it for wholesale. But because we had so many ridiculous offers we knew we had a desirable car that people wanted and the right buyer would eventually come around. If you want to get top dollar for your car you must invest in good quality advertising and commit to more than just one ad. Remember, the buyer for your car might miss your ad if you only run it once. Be realistic and you should have good results.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

What a great and very informative thread. It helps a buyer as well as a seller. But most of all it keeps things real. I see so many ads mostly on e bay where people claim their cars are so rare because they are the 35th anniversary model camaro. Or they word the ad as if their car is extremely rare and you wont find another car like it. Im sure this has alot to do with the economy and like anyone else they want to market their cars to sound the best but knowledge is power. The more you know about what you are really buying, the better for you

White
    1999 Trans Am

Nice thread, good advice..

White
    1998 Trans Am

Good tread man. Lots of great advice.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Great thread, I read it just before I bought my first TA, yesterday! :-)

Thread Information