Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

What would you do...

I just bought a 98 Trans Am form a dealer. I hated buying it from them but I love the midnight blue and the afftermarket ram air hood. Its a non ws6 car. Im happy with it but when I bought it the dealer told me it had traction control that dragged the brake on the wheel that was spinning and traction control is even listed on the window sticker. After running the numbers it has limited slip but no traction control. I called them once but really got no answer. What would you do?

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Sure fire way to see if it has traction control is to look in front of the shifter - if it has it there is a button there for it to the left of the first DC outlet. If not.. then it's a handy cell phone holder. I don't have it on mine, and I really don't care as I would probably leave it off. I would check one last time for sure, then if it really doesn't have it go back to the dealership and have a talk with them (not rudely, but politely) and show them the car again and simply ask: "how are you going to right this wrong?" They might work something out for you to please a customer so they wont bad mouth them to others. Or not.. but if not, feel good in the fact that you still have a great car and wont miss that feature much and it wont hurt resale of it hardly at all.

So, just check one more time to be sure first, and see what they can do to correct their mistake in the sale. Most importantly... Enjoy your car!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I would be thrilled I didn't have the traction control, never had it on either of my Camaros and prefer it that way.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

That's false advertising. They need to do something to make it up to you. Dealers are held to pretty high standards and you'd probably have legal recourse if you wanted.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Im happy that mine doesnt have traction control...

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

It was a $450 option in '98, and doesn't add any "value" to a now nearly 10 y/o used car. False advertising yes, but "liability value" = zilch. Hardly worth sweating over.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

But if its an option you speficially wanted and were told it had and didn't...I'd be upset. I'm sure they'll make it up to you somehow. Free oils changes or something.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have traction control, let me tell you with a stick car there is nothing worse then forgeting to turn that shit off when you race.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

PITA, all you do is keep shutting it off anyway.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer25f View Post
    I just bought a 98 Trans Am form a dealer. I hated buying it from them but I love the midnight blue and the afftermarket ram air hood. Its a non ws6 car. Im happy with it but when I bought it the dealer told me it had traction control that dragged the brake on the wheel that was spinning and traction control is even listed on the window sticker. After running the numbers it has limited slip but no traction control. I called them once but really got no answer. What would you do?

i'm preety sure 98's didn't get traction controll.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i'm preety sure 98's didn't get traction controll.
    Yes it was Optional.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Just more proof of my theory that dealers don't know what they're talking about.

They either flat out lie, or if faced with a question they don't know the answer to, they just make stuff up.

Once, when looking at fourth gen Camaro's, the dealer asked if I was looking for a 305 or a 350, and once a Saturn salesman told me the Vue had low range (it does not, and I knew this when I asked him).

This traction control thing is another good lesson about always doing your homework when looking at a car, I never look at a car without knowing as much, or more, than the seller.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Just go back to the rear end and disconnect it the wire...yeah you'll have the "TCS OFF" Light on your dash on all the time, but you won't forget to turn it off when you race.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I would be thrilled I didn't have the traction control, never had it on either of my Camaros and prefer it that way.

+1 I hate TC.............the other day I forgot to turn it off and was pulling out from a side road and had to gas it pretty good to get out in traffic and it spun a little and TC kicked in and alomst wrecked cause of the brake dragging

black
    1998 Formula Firebird

mine doesnt have tc but if i slide say on ice or water or even down shifting and the wheels lock up for a second, a traction control light comes on the dash. i think that is what you have too, not actual traction control but more like loss of traction indication, lol.

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    +1 I hate TC.............the other day I forgot to turn it off and was pulling out from a side road and had to gas it pretty good to get out in traffic and it spun a little and TC kicked in and alomst wrecked cause of the brake dragging
    my buddy has a c5 vette he has traction control and he said that on his the way the tcs works is it retards the timing instead of dragging the break. is he wrong just wondering?

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

all i know is that when i try to move, with TCS on, and the wheels start to spin, it feels like the pedal locks in an up right position, but i dont stop rolling so ......??.......

black
    1998 Formula Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by ldanny View Post
    my buddy has a c5 vette he has traction control and he said that on his the way the tcs works is it retards the timing instead of dragging the break. is he wrong just wondering?
    no, thats how it works

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

the only time i use my traction control is when it's raining. otherwise, i get in my car, fire it up, turn off the tcs, turn up the radio, and roll out.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

The dealership i got my car from had no idea about it. They said it was stock, which it was except for the drilled slottled rotors, it was lowered, and had a short shifter. Not to mention they said they couldnt get the check engine light off. So i bought it took it home, and noticed the o2 wire was kinda messed up replaced that no check engine light. I paid 10,700, which 2,000 of it was for a 3 year warrenty. So i paid 8700 for a 2000, T/A lowered with 48k miles on it. Some dealerships are dumb.

Thread Information