Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What will ws6's be worth in the future?

This is a discussion on What will ws6's be worth in the future? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS You won't be alone and likely you won't be the oldest either... <---- Senior citizen still ...

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    You won't be alone and likely you won't be the oldest either...

<---- Senior citizen still flyin down the road...
    haha I love it!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Twin .44 View Post
    i would like to respectfully disagree with you on that one. Simply because the market for it is so huge and always will be. In fact, it would cause an insane uproar amongst people. There are more car nuts than green nuts out there and many of them are very reputable and respected individuals. Not to mention putting major shops and businesses into the street. It can even be chalked up as discrimination against people that enjoy these cars, not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears building them unlike what other people are willing to do for their hobbies. I could go more into it, especially the debunking of the green fears, but this is not the place.
    You're sure about that, are ya...

Let's hope. Only time will tell.

Undercover Tortoise

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    You're sure about that, are ya...

Let's hope. Only time will tell.
    There is only one way it really could happen. A faster, more efficient, low cost form of transportation which completely obliterates the need for our current vehicles. I doubt that will happen in the next 30 years. They've tried many times. The circular engine and the rotary kinda failed and the 13B twin turbo wankel was a flaming hunk of deer crap. You would spend more money keeping it running. And on top of that, every road would have to be remade to support it from a government that can barely pay for lunch. A perfect replacement for gasoline and human organs will happen before that does.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

There is only one way it really could happen. A faster, more efficient, low cost form of transportation which completely obliterates the need for our current vehicles. I doubt that will happen in the next 30 years. They've tried many times. The circular engine and the rotary kinda failed and the 13B twin turbo wankel was a flaming hunk of deer crap. You would spend more money keeping it running. And on top of that, every road would have to be remade to support it from a government that can barely pay for lunch. A perfect replacement for gasoline and human organs will happen before that does.
    guess you never heard of this thing called a Prius? and certainly not the Chevy Volt, the Tesla, or the Fisker Karma?

engineering of electric powered vehicles is more than certainly going to get more advanced and affordable well within 30 years

WS6 Black Convertible
    2001 Trans Am

Who really knows what they will be worth in the future. My '01 WS6 Vert is 1 of 796 w/70K on it. Does that make it rare and a sought after item? Probably not. I keep it garaged, enjoy it for what it is and I drive it occasionally - perhaps 3-4 K a year.

i would like to respectfully disagree with you on that one. Simply because the market for it is so huge and always will be. In fact, it would cause an insane uproar amongst people. There are more car nuts than green nuts out there and many of them are very reputable and respected individuals. Not to mention putting major shops and businesses into the street. It can even be chalked up as discrimination against people that enjoy these cars, not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears building them unlike what other people are willing to do for their hobbies. I could go more into it, especially the debunking of the green fears, but this is not the place.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm, but Kahana brings up a good point. I don't know for sure what the future holds, but with Obama Bin Laden in office it's looking more grim. Gas is getting worse every year, it's getting more expensive to keep these old cars on the roads, and jobs are scarce. The Green party is a pretty big lobby now, and from what I've been reading they are a much larger group now than us measly car hobbyist.
    Although the car hobby parts and restoration business right now is a 6 million dollar annual income world wide, there are many bills out there legislature is trying to pass or will pass that makes this hobby that much more difficult, to the point where some people might say it's not worth it anymore.
    So if you want to speak up and make your voice heard, now is the time. Support SEMA who looks out for the hobby and keeps it alive.
    You are right, might not happen for the next 30 years,,,but it's been going this sad direction since the early 70's, it's just a matter of time.

Future value on 4th gens looks pretty bleek right now with all the cheap cars to buy out there. Hard to say if the WS6 will be worth anything down the road. Right now they are a pretty good bang for the buck hotrod, much like the 60's muscle cars were after they were 10 years old.

I personally don't think they will ever fetch the money of the 50's and 60's cars do. But it will take time to see if the 4th gens do increase in value. If they do, I agree with what others said, it will only be the low production models with low miles and no mods that will shine in 30 years or so. But I still don't look at them as an investment standpoint. I don't think there is enough return on your money to worry about it with these cars when you consider what they sold for new to begin with .
    If your desire is to have a car worth money that will more than likely increase you are better off with a desirable 50's or 60's car. Even the early 70's are coming into their own now. The trick now is finding one for a reasonable price to begin with.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I pretty much assume mine is worth nothing to anyone but me.

It is modded heavily (turn off for most buyers).
    It is 12 years old.
    Book value is $10K'ish'
    Yup, I am stuck with it.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Cars can run on an currently unknown power source or simply the world could run out of gas. That being the case, all cars are worthless.
    I own a low production car that can be considered rare. I am holding on to it and only putting about 2k miles a year in hopes of it being worth a mint, no. I just plan on keeping it for a long time no matter if its worth a million or nothing.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Simply because the market for it is so huge and always will be. In fact, it would cause an insane uproar amongst people. There are more car nuts than green nuts out there and many of them are very reputable and respected individuals. Not to mention putting major shops and businesses into the street. It can even be chalked up as discrimination against people that enjoy these cars, not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears building them unlike what other people are willing to do for their hobbies. I could go more into it, especially the debunking of the green fears, but this is not the place.
    Im sorry but outside of die hard gear heads, nobody will give a shit.
    You also underestimate the greenies. While they maybe small in numbers, they can sway more people than us gearheads can simply on the argument of clean air. Think of how many medical groups will also go along with the cleaner air argument then think of all the people who can give a shit about hot rods will fall into line behind them which in turn will get elected officials following suit enacting "clear air" laws

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Im sorry but outside of die hard gear heads, nobody will give a shit.
    You also underestimate the greenies. While they maybe small in numbers, they can sway more people than us gearheads can simply on the argument of clean air. Think of how many medical groups will also go along with the cleaner air argument then think of all the people who can give a shit about hot rods will fall into line behind them which in turn will get elected officials following suit enacting "clear air" laws
    seriously! i mean look at what Ralph Nader did in the 60's with all the new automotive saftey requirements, any body of people with a 'noble' cause will gain the mass favor of the people.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    seriously! i mean look at what Ralph Nader did in the 60's with all the new automotive saftey requirements, any body of people with a 'noble' cause will gain the mass favor of the Sheople.
    Fixed.

"For you who believe all you read, I caution you - you are daily being brainwashed for profit by extremely effective psychology with very little regard to factual accuracy. In short, you're at the mercy of the world's greatest bullshit artists with the morals of a stray tomcat."
    - Smokey Yunick

I personally never cared about the value of my car short of my own need for something fast and fun. I knew it was going to be rare within a year of owning it (how many Formula's do you see), but that never changed my plan to drive and enjoy it. Cars are meant to be driven not sit in a museum or covered in a garage and only brought out of the trailer for car shows.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I personally never cared about the value of my car short of my own need for something fast and fun. I knew it was going to be rare within a year of owning it (how many Formula's do you see), but that never changed my plan to drive and enjoy it. Cars are meant to be driven not sit in a museum or covered in a garage and only brought out of the trailer for car shows.

I fealt and still somewhat feel the same way when caring about value. I bought most of the muscle cars I have in the 80's just when the first price hike was going on. I never cared about value and bought the cars to enjoy, modify, race, and drive. Which I have done for the last 30 years with cross country trips, pure stock drag racing, NMCA racing, UMTR racing, etc...
    But now a couple of these cars are reaching unexpected values and becoming impossible to replace for the average joe like me. Some of the auctions are fetching $100K for these cars now even in this downed economy. So I have to ask myself now, is it worth getting these cars out on the roads and taking a chance with them?? Is it worth it to have some idiot in a Prius T-bone me and say "oh it's just a car"?? I have them all appraised and insured, but it really doesn't mean I can replace the cars, some of which production numbers are so low (40+ years ago) that now you'd be lucky to see another one 40 years after the fact. That's why they cost so much now.

With that said there is a point where you have to stop and think. I never dreamed the cars would reach these price levels.

I don't believe the 4th gens will ever do this. So I can (at least for now) drive ours and modify ours without feeling guilty, even if my 4th gen is only 1 of 59 made. My wifes 4th gen is 1 of about 600 made. I don't think either one will fetch big money in the future. So it's not stopping us from daily driving them, taking vacations in them, racing them, etc...

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Fixed.
    so true.

black

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I fealt and still somewhat feel the same way when caring about value. I bought most of the muscle cars I have in the 80's just when the first price hike was going on. I never cared about value and bought the cars to enjoy, modify, race, and drive. Which I have done for the last 30 years with cross country trips, pure stock drag racing, NMCA racing, UMTR racing, etc...
    But now a couple of these cars are reaching unexpected values and becoming impossible to replace for the average joe like me. Some of the auctions are fetching $100K for these cars now even in this downed economy. So I have to ask myself now, is it worth getting these cars out on the roads and taking a chance with them?? Is it worth it to have some idiot in a Prius T-bone me and say "oh it's just a car"?? I have them all appraised and insured, but it really doesn't mean I can replace the cars, some of which production numbers are so low (40+ years ago) that now you'd be lucky to see another one 40 years after the fact. That's why they cost so much now.

With that said there is a point where you have to stop and think. I never dreamed the cars would reach these price levels.

I don't believe the 4th gens will ever do this. So I can (at least for now) drive ours and modify ours without feeling guilty, even if my 4th gen is only 1 of 59 made. My wifes 4th gen is 1 of about 600 made. I don't think either one will fetch big money in the future. So it's not stopping us from daily driving them, taking vacations in them, racing them, etc...
    FBJ, you make a great point. If my cars worth was coming up on 100k, i and anybody else for that matter would think twice about driving it needlessly.

As for the current generation of owners of LS1 and Mustangs for that matter everybody has a 1 of whatever low production car. It gets rather exhausting. Just because a person has a car that has power everything but no air does not mean its rare, or collector rare i should say.
    If LS1 cars in the future will be worth something, i believe it will be the Black Birds and the like.

1998 Trans Am

If LS1 cars in the future will be worth something, i believe it will be the Black Birds and the like.
    i can tell you now when turn 40 in 20 years, and have plenty of money to put on a midlife crisis mobile, a mint blackbird ws6 convertible is the first thing i'm going to hunt for.

FBJ, you make a great point. If my cars worth was coming up on 100k, i and anybody else for that matter would think twice about driving it needlessly.

As for the current generation of owners of LS1 and Mustangs for that matter everybody has a 1 of whatever low production car. It gets rather exhausting. Just because a person has a car that has power everything but no air does not mean its rare, or collector rare i should say.
    I agree. I think all this low production value stuff came about with 80's and 90's cars because of the huge boom the 50's and 60's car saw.
    It may or may not follow. I can't say for sure, but if you remember Barret Jackson started by selling pre war vehicles that were all the big money 30 years ago. They still bring decent money too, but I think that was the start that pushed the 50's and 60's cars up in prices eventually as the years went on. I just don't know if the train will keep going up the ladder.
    There are some pretty rare cars from the 80's too, like the 89 turbo TA's, and the GN's from 86-87 have a pretty large following. I had a 92 Typhoon and I sold it a few years ago for very good money, $16K if I remember right. These oddball cars do seem to hold some value, it will be interesting to see just how high they go in years to come.

4th gens on the other hand, although they had variations of low production examples, verts, certain colors etc....they all still had the same basic drivetrains, and I think that will be their downfall. The other 80's-90's cars I mentioned bring money because they had specific drivetrains not available in any other package and they were made in low quantities.
    All things that a 4th gen doesn't have going for it. Ya I realize there are low production anniversary models and such, but they are all the same basic LS1 powered cars, and you can get the same performance in your basic Z28 or Trans Am. It seems the majority of the collector crowd gravitates towards cars for their drivetrain packages and the performance they offered, specifically something unusual or low in production. Racing history is another big factor, also low mile unrestored cars are big and have always brought good money.
    Take a 70 SS chevelle for instance, they had 4 different engine combinations available. 396 in 350hp and 375hp and 454's in 360hp and 450hp. All of them have their own value and bring various amounts of money for good reason. Really doesn't matter what color they are anymore, and transmission choice doesn't have too much affect either for the right car. But a 4th gen, whether it's a vert, anniversary model, or sunset orange metallic in color,,,,they all have the same thing in common with all other Z28's and Trans Ams,,,,the LS1. So you would have to base their resale value on a few simple things alone such as colors and what not. Which is why I'm not holding my breath on 4th gens bringing the big money you see on other cars.
    Now if they would have offered these anniversary models with a special drivetrain package to truely seperate them from their other 4th gen brothers, I think the story would be different. They'll still have their price advantages over other base 4th gens,,,but I don't think they'll ever be an LS6 chevelle or a Hemi Cuda.

For a 4th gen to see good money like that I think you'll have to look at your Hennesey models, Berger models, and the like. They have drivetrains that set them apart from every other 4th gen out there. I think that's where the money will be. There you have it,,,Firebirds prediction

now greybat66

navy blue metalic
    1998 trans am conv

Are you guys serious OBAMA BIN LADEN its BARRACK OBAMA.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    Are you guys serious OBAMA BIN LADEN its BARRACK OBAMA.
    He is more commonly referred to as Obama Bin Laden now

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Thumbs down

way to go guys. Politics is ruining another fine thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information