Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

What will ws6's be worth in the future?

Just bought a 2002 ws6 m6 with 45k on it..car has full bolt ons done 2 it already but my question is will u guys think it will be worth mroe later on down the road keeping it more stock with bolt ons or will it lose value if i decide to do heads, cam, 9"..I keep hearing how the ws6 cars r goin to be worth money one day I plan on keepign the car for a long time as iv ben savin for a few years now to finially get what i wanted but im just deciding on goin all out or keeping it the way it is? Any input?

I understand most will say its ur car do it the way u want it but im just curious as to what the downfall may be by goin each direction thanks guys
    Last edited by 02blckws6; 10-07-2010 at 07:03 AM.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02blckws6 View Post
    Just bought a 2002 ws6 m6 with 45k on it..car has full bolt ons done 2 it already but my question is will u guys think it will be worth mroe later on down the road keeping it more stock with bolt ons or will it lose value if i decide to do heads, cam, 9"..I keep hearing how the ws6 cars r goin to be worth money one day I plan on keepign the car for a long time as iv ben savin for a few years now to finially get what i wanted but im just deciding on goin all out or keeping it the way it is? Any input?

I understand most will say its ur car do it the way u want it but im just curious as to what the downfall may be by goin each direction thanks guys
    if you count in the inflation rate for 30 years from now, they wont be worth anymore than they are worth today. with 45k and at least two owners your car especially will not render a profitable ROI

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I think it's impossible to predict these days. Shoot, 30 years from now, our cars as well as current classics, may not even be allowed on the road

Drive it, mod it if you wish, and enjoy it. Don't worry about what it will be worth in the future. That's my .02

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I think it's impossible to predict these days. Shoot, 30 years from now, our cars as well as current classics, may not even be allowed on the road

Drive it, mod it if you wish, and enjoy it. Don't worry about what it will be worth in the future. That's my .02
    agreed.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

A car is worth as much as anyone is going to pay for it, and honestly, a car is worth more to the owner than it is to anyone trying to buy it.

If I was to add up the amount of money I've spent on parts for my WS6, then add it to what I paid for the car in 2007, it would be well over $25k, maybe even $30K. That's not even taking into account the labor costs for the H/C/I swap, the 16 hours of driving I did to pick up my 9" rear from South Carolina, the countless hours of wiring I did for my nitrous install, etc.

Right now I can say that no one can make a reasonable offer on Nymphadora that I would take. Trans Ams and Camaros are going for sub $10k now, and since mine is modded, most people would price my car lower than a stock car.

That being said, IN MY OPINION in 20 or 30 years a stock car is going to sell for more than a modded car. On the flip side, in that 20 to 30 years, I could be at the track banging out sub 9s in the quarter mile and having much more fun than looking at a car sitting in a garage.

Red
    2001 ws6

the real question is.....do you ever plan on selling it.....some people plan on keepin their cars for a loonngg time like our dads did and giving them to us eventually

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    A car is worth as much as anyone is going to pay for it, and honestly, a car is worth more to the owner than it is to anyone trying to buy it.

If I was to add up the amount of money I've spent on parts for my WS6, then add it to what I paid for the car in 2007, it would be well over $25k, maybe even $30K. That's not even taking into account the labor costs for the H/C/I swap, the 16 hours of driving I did to pick up my 9" rear from South Carolina, the countless hours of wiring I did for my nitrous install, etc.

Right now I can say that no one can make a reasonable offer on Nymphadora that I would take. Trans Ams and Camaros are going for sub $10k now, and since mine is modded, most people would price my car lower than a stock car.

That being said, IN MY OPINION in 20 or 30 years a stock car is going to sell for more than a modded car. On the flip side, in that 20 to 30 years, I could be at the track banging out sub 9s in the quarter mile and having much more fun than looking at a car sitting in a garage.

Wow thats so true right there ur car came out so sick 2! You do only live once I just keep hearing from people how rare these cars r and will be and to leave it alone dont change anything iv had offers for it 2 i just got it!!

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    the real question is.....do you ever plan on selling it.....some people plan on keepin their cars for a loonngg time like our dads did and giving them to us eventually

haha Dan its crazy how we always talked about gettin one of these cars from are freshmen year of high school and years down the road after workin r asses off we both ended up gettin one lol ..ur right who am i kidding we still goin 2 be driven these cars flyin down ocean parkway at 50 years old probably....when we doin the heads and cam package im lookin at 9" rears already! lol

Black
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

haha Dan its crazy how we always talked about gettin one of these cars from are freshmen year of high school and years down the road after workin r asses off we both ended up gettin one lol ..ur right who am i kidding we still goin 2 be driven these cars flyin down ocean parkway at 50 years old probably....when we doin the heads and cam package im lookin at 9" rears already! lol
    You won't be alone and likely you won't be the oldest either...

<---- Senior citizen still flyin down the road...

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Wow thats so true right there ur car came out so sick 2! You do only live once I just keep hearing from people how rare these cars r and will be and to leave it alone dont change anything iv had offers for it 2 i just got it!!
    That's the thing, typically the only cars that hold values or appreciate as they age are the really rare ones. When it comes LS1 'birds, that means the two '98 WS6 Formula 'verts, the 9 '98 LPE/Hurst Firebirds, the Formula Firehawks, the 1LEs, etc. In 2002, there were more WS6s built than non-WS6 cars, T/As & Formulas combined. Even the 30ths and CETAs have a hard time falling into the "rare" category, certainly a plain 'ol '02 WS6 doesn't.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 10-07-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have to agree with the rarest models with the fewest built may be with more like some of the firehawks but you also have to take into account whether or not there will even be gas left to power a stock car. May have to mod it just to run off the fuel that will be using 30yrs from now. I have to agree with only the real limited run models with low.mileage in showroom condition will be worth something to a true collector who spends more time looking at his cats than driving them. I have a regular 98 TA A4 and looking for a 6spd 99 anniversary or a SOM hawk, WS6, or a SS or Z but plan to drive whatever one because the chance of having it even 10 yrs from now without wanting to mod it or just putting mileage on from cruising is unthinkable to me. These cars were meant to be driven not parked somewhere just to stare at. Driving my car is the reason I bought it and it was a dd for the 1st 10 yrs and now I want to get a 6spd to have a new.dd ls1 since I'm sick of driving my 93 5.0 vert. These cars are too much fun not to mod and drive and in 20 or 30 yrs they may be worth something or not.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

hey the main thing is to enjoy it, that was the reason why we got these cars in the first place.Also its nice to see another new yorker with a trans am , very rare to see that often in ny.ENJOY , ENJOY.

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    hey the main thing is to enjoy it, that was the reason why we got these cars in the first place.Also its nice to see another new yorker with a trans am , very rare to see that often in ny.ENJOY , ENJOY.
    ahha exactly u guys r right i wasnt planning on jsut watchign it sit i do drive the car as my DD i was just curious as to the value over time.... u only live once...and yes man there arent many in NY gotta keep it alive over here!! do u go 2 any shows or meets on long island u msut be the only one in the bronx with a purple T/A or t/A period lol?
    Last edited by 02blckws6; 10-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

have to go to one of the shows but i sold my purple trans am , now i have a 2000 pewter convertible trans am

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Crap shoot really,I was at a highline auction in atlanta back in 2003 and a real 1995 mustang cobra r was there had like 35 miles on it,still had all the plastic on the seats and carpet,basically new,had original sticker $35,000 new,bidding stalled around 27k and the car didn't sell.could he get more now? Hard to say.
    Posted via Mobile Device

black
    2002 TA

Excellent advice.

If you are concerned about a return on your money, perhaps you should invest in Gold.

In the meantime, I drove mine yesterday, today, and plan on it tomorrow....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Undercover Tortoise

Shoot, 30 years from now, our cars as well as current classics, may not even be allowed on the road
    i would like to respectfully disagree with you on that one. Simply because the market for it is so huge and always will be. In fact, it would cause an insane uproar amongst people. There are more car nuts than green nuts out there and many of them are very reputable and respected individuals. Not to mention putting major shops and businesses into the street. It can even be chalked up as discrimination against people that enjoy these cars, not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears building them unlike what other people are willing to do for their hobbies. I could go more into it, especially the debunking of the green fears, but this is not the place.

But everyone is correct on their assessments of stock vs. modified along with the inflation adjustment. And what someone is willing to pay for a car plays a huge factor. A perfect example is the Toyota Supra in this case. One reason why a car that cost 45K new and pay 30K for one with 100K miles is that people will pay for it even though the engine is overrated. The Trans Am has a better shot of being worth more than a Camaro since there is no longer a successor to the car. Isn't economics fun?

If you are looking for a massive ROI even with inflation, buy a sought after car from the factory, make sure it is as close to 1 of 1 as possible, and keep it in a garage. Like the 70 (or 71, not sure) Convertible Plum Crazy Purple Hemi 'Cuda, Yenko camaro's, Daytona Charger's, etc. That's the only way you'll get an extra penny for your car. It's what I plan on doing when I get my $45K 2012 Camaro. When it comes to upgrading, you'll get KBB plus 50% of the parts from what I've noticed. Well, unless Lingenfelter puts their paws on it.

Sorry for the essay though. Just finished an accelerated class at college and have no idea what I'm going to do in my free time for a week

Black
    2002 trans am ws6

I thank all for the advice..the way i feel when it comes down 2 it just enjoy it as much as you can... modding these cars just gets so addicting its hard 2 stop and say thats it..im planning on keepin the car and continue the mods for a while and i wouldnt even think 2 sell it even in years 2 come..this shit is just 2 fun!

Thread Information