Thread: what v8

Black
    2002 Trans Am

what v8

i got a v6 right now and im looking to put the whole v8 setup in this year i was wondering what would be better seeming i have a 1996. would the ls1 fit in it and would i have to change anything underneeth to put in a m6 over my m5. also this front bumper can u buy aftermarket [IMG]

http://http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ws6.com/image/mycar12.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ws6.com/mycar.htm&h=381&w=608&sz=35&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbn id=Kzx2Qn7XWDZ4nM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=136&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dws6%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%2 6safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN[/IMG]

i have the square foglights

or is there a kit to completly update to the 1998 front end?

Black
    2002 Trans Am

i dont know how to make the link work eather can someone tell me how?
    Wishin for a LS1

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

dude your better off just saving up for an LS1. People think its easy as hell to just drop in a motor. Changing the engine is a big enough deal of its own, i dont wanna know how your gonna make out with the trans swap and front end conversion. The time money and hassel spent getting and LS1 into a 96 outweigh just buying a used LS1 by a mile.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

thanks but i cant i just bought the v6 and blew all my money and its away all winter and thats when i tinker i really wish i could of bought an ls1 but my car had to be at least 10 years old for insurence reasons and that what was around here (i live in the sticks) for the money i had and i wanted a car for this summer thanks for the input rajiv1998

Black
    2002 Trans Am

do u guys think i could use the m5 with a ls1 till i got a m6

Green
    1997 ws-6

if you cant afford to buy an ls1 car then you cant afford to do the swap.. unless you already have everything or everything is given to you. if you have to go out and buy it all it will be atleast 5-6k to do what you want. i dont know how much your car is worth but if you can get a couple grand for it you would be better off selling it and taking the money for the swap and buying a 8k ls1 car.. my friend just bought a 98 camaro for $4k.... and its a nice car.. you just have to look around.

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

agreed...seriously. i had a v6 camaro and looked into the swap. i now have an ls1 and glad i didn't even try. i think theres a guy on ebay that sells just the motor for like $5,500. the only way you could get away with it is if you had a complete doner car.

2000 Trans Am

i would just look for a good used one...i know that isn't what you want to hear but you would be better off...good luck

Agreed with the above...for what you'll spend on the swap you can go buy a nice LT1 eqquiped 'bird....that is unless of course you manage to find a totaled V8 'bird in a salvage yard with an intact drivetrain and get it dirt cheap
    1999 Formula WS6 Silver T-Top, 6 speed, 3:42 gears

1997 Trans Am Silver hardtop, many extras

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I agree, find a LS1 car. If I was tight on cash I'd try to find one that is lower miles and the body in rougher shape to be cheaper. Just look at the fixer up adds for one. You can learn how to do some body work to make it look good. Body work is cheap to do if you can do it your self.

green
    98 formula

just turbo the six

Red
    2002 Transam

but then you end up spending....(no expert) $5,000? on a turbo which could be going towards the new bird...i could have sold my camaro and with the price of a complete new setup got a Z28. not tryin to be an ass but i've been in your shoes before...for about 2 years. i even repainted mine and had the bowlingball racing stripes on my camaro so it was very very hard to give up. glad i did though.

Green
    1997 ws-6

if i was gonna drive anything less than a V8 I would own a 4 door. Just my preference.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by urstolendesire View Post
    but then you end up spending....(no expert) $5,000? on a turbo which could be going towards the new bird...i could have sold my camaro and with the price of a complete new setup got a Z28. not tryin to be an ass but i've been in your shoes before...for about 2 years. i even repainted mine and had the bowlingball racing stripes on my camaro so it was very very hard to give up. glad i did though.
    true it will never be a v-8 but a turbo 6 would be fun and different besides that it would be cheaper on insurance with some research and ebay the kit could be had and tuned for $2000 or less doing the install yourself

Red
    2002 Transam

true...insurance plus gas....both are a B*tch!! found that out quick...and true it would be different...

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

i did the engine swap on my 98 v6 firebird. They are all correct above. just the engine and trans is gonna cost you 4,000. for the Lt1/v6 cars to update them to a LS1 you need even the interior body harnesses. to do a ls1 swap from a 97 v6/lt1 you looking at close to 7,000 and thats doing it all yourself.

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

im in the middle of LT1 to LS1, v8 to v8, and belieeeeeve me its a royal pain in the ass... i dont even want to imagine a v6 car... harness, motor mounts, exhaust, transmission, pcm, the list would go on and on... if i were you and you need a car thats 10 years old for insurance reasons... look into buying a 96-97 LT1 car with low miles on it... believe me in the end ittl pay off
    If it doesn't have 8 cylinders its just not a car
    Car
    1997 Medium Quasar Blue Trans Am A4
    Soon to be victim to a 408 LS1 swap

semicharmed
    you've put spaces b/w the [img][/img]...reason why the link didn't work. try to remove it then it will work for sure. BUt i think you've copied the wrong link. click first the link then if the picture showed, copy the site's address from the URL...

you can swap the front clip over to a 98 up. all you need is fenders,hood bumper headlights,and all the stuff underneath an behinde the bumper.and the taillights and spoiler. the bodys are the same from 93-02. roughly 3000 at a salvage yard w/ram air

Thread Information