what upgrades should i do?

so i have a hand tuned, LS1 with:

LS6 cam
    241 heads
    4:10 gears
    3200 RPM torque converter
    Long Tube Headers
    BRAND new 4L60E with a shift kit

i'm curious about a few things, like, what's my estimated HP output??

now as far as upgrades i'm looking at... i was thinking 243 ported heads, but i don't know what else i need. i'm just getting into this car stuff so i'm pretty much learning as i go. i'm also curious about this 6litereater shaker that i've been seeing around, is it worth it? power gains any? my goal is to have a TA that'll push out 500 to the wheels seeing that i am moving to UK and i need something to represent the US. Any advice would help!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! How do you like the 4.10's on the street? What transmission did you get?

dark blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i just have a rebuilt 4L60E tranny, but i don't know the type of shift kit. I love the 4:10 when i have to go down to the local store or something, but damn the highway to hell for making me use so much fuel!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_II View Post
    i just have a rebuilt 4L60E tranny, but i don't know the type of shift kit. I love the 4:10 when i have to go down to the local store or something, but damn the highway to hell for making me use so much fuel!

I went with 3.73's and think it could definitely use just a little more gear than that without being too obnoxious. Generally speaking, most of the aftermarket air induction setups add about 10 hp to our cars, however, I am not familiar with the setup you mentioned.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Generally speaking you will need quite a bit of parts to make a 500 RWHP goal.
    But since you say your going to the UK, I'd leave it alone considering the price of fuel over there. JMO
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

dark blue

i destroyed the inside a few months back, had to replace SOOOO many parts. took it out to a local highway and ran it up a few times, got it up to about 135 but when i got home, oil was everywhere, so when it finally came down to it, i had to replace 4 pistons, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, 3 diff types of hoses, had to get my heads redone cause they were warped. it was a nasty bill, but on top of allll this, my torque converter fell apart and tore up my old transmission. needless to say i have dropped about 4K into repairs. now it's alive again.

dark blue

well, i've been told that the fuel on base over there is the american price, not the English price... trust me, i've asked around already.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Need more cam if you want more power especially if you get ported heads but 500rwhp is better achieved with boost if you want a car with good street manners. I don't know anyone with a stock cube ls1 with 500 whp without boost or nos.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

dark blue

i was thinking about turbocharging it, but i really don't know jack sh!t about that kind of stuff, so right now i'm still learning the car and what works and what doesn't. i'm curious, what should i be looking for when i'm looking for an under drive pulley kit? like, i've been told i need a harmonic balancer... is there a kit someone can just point at and say, that one... that way i don't have to second guess everything i'm looking up?!

ALSO! i'm thinking about getting my car painted, it's got some damage here and there, i've been quoted at 350 just for the dents... but to paint it was 3K to go from dark blue to black... i'm actually wanting to go from dark blue to like charcoal grey... what's that run?!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_II View Post
    i ALSO! i'm thinking about getting my car painted, it's got some damage here and there, i've been quoted at 350 just for the dents... but to paint it was 3K to go from dark blue to black... i'm actually wanting to go from dark blue to like charcoal grey... what's that run?!
    I've price doing something kinda like that and I was quoted $5k

2002 Black WS6

I would shop around and get some different quotes on that paint job

Get a new rear end first and make sure you have the suspension to handle your HP goals. If you pop that rear overseas you'll probably pay a small fortune to get one shipped to you. If you really want 500rwhp get a procharger less hassle than a turbo IMO. You'd need a pretty big stroker motor to reach that mark and stay NA.

Thread Information