Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

what type of firbird is best?

This is a discussion on what type of firbird is best? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Same ol Situation peformance wise your going to want the 1982 Firebird with the 4 cylinder "iron ...

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Same ol Situation View Post
    peformance wise your going to want the 1982 Firebird with the 4 cylinder "iron duke"

90 hp at the crank!

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

The LT1 Firebirds are at the bottom right now in terms of market price. The weak link in the Opti-Spark distributor and oil leaks. 93 to 94 had the worse Opti-Spark. The 95 to 97 had a redesign that took care of the issue. 98 to 02 have a whole new 350 (called LS1). Much better motor. However, the price is double/tripple of the LT1.

There are two things and sure folks will give you more to be aware of: The door trim will crack due to the stapes used to secure the inner window rubber. These need to be repaced with good old nuts and bolts (very small ones). High Performace Pontiac a few years ago detailed the issue and repair. Don't know the availablity of new door trim from GM. The clutch line has a restrictor built-in to slow up the clutch response. Most folks do the 'drill mod' to line for removing the restrictor. Again High Performace Pontiac detailed how to do this.

In terms of the type of Firebird, go for a Ram Air as you pick up more HP over the stock induction system. Ram Air was available on convertibles. There were even FireHawks Trans Ams maid. You'll pay top dollar, but worth it in terms of performace, handeling and collectiablity.

Look for the power seats as it gives you a more seating angles then the standard interior. These seats came in leather only. If you find one with the radio controls on the steering wheel, then it has the top of the line stero.

Post back when you finally get your bird.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by seppburgh View Post
    The LT1 Firebirds are at the bottom right now in terms of market price. The weak link in the Opti-Spark distributor and oil leaks. 93 to 94 had the worse Opti-Spark. The 95 to 97 had a redesign that took care of the issue. 98 to 02 have a whole new 350 (called LS1). Much better motor. However, the price is double/tripple of the LT1.

There are two things and sure folks will give you more to be aware of: The door trim will crack due to the stapes used to secure the inner window rubber. These need to be repaced with good old nuts and bolts (very small ones). High Performace Pontiac a few years ago detailed the issue and repair. Don't know the availablity of new door trim from GM. The clutch line has a restrictor built-in to slow up the clutch response. Most folks do the 'drill mod' to line for removing the restrictor. Again High Performace Pontiac detailed how to do this.

In terms of the type of Firebird, go for a Ram Air as you pick up more HP over the stock induction system. Ram Air was available on convertibles. There were even FireHawks Trans Ams maid. You'll pay top dollar, but worth it in terms of performace, handeling and collectiablity.

Look for the power seats as it gives you a more seating angles then the standard interior. These seats came in leather only. If you find one with the radio controls on the steering wheel, then it has the top of the line stero.

Post back when you finally get your bird.
    Good post.

Also, if you go with the ram-air WS6, you are guaranteed the performance rear 3.23 rear end (in the automatics) as opposed to the 2.73 rear in most base automatic Trans Ams.

--

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

sounds like your lookin for best stock package. check into a WS6 if you can find .do you like the high or low spoiler.l like the high.

funny thing, when I bought mine i was in the market for a truck and bumped into it hidden in the behind the building by the service dept. it was like xmas

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by supaxero View Post
    sounds like your lookin for best stock package. check into a WS6 if you can find .do you like the high or low spoiler.l like the high.

funny thing, when I bought mine i was in the market for a truck and bumped into it hidden in the behind the building by the service dept. it was like xmas
    I was in a similar situation, I told myself "not black again, no rear wheel drive and not a stick." Saw her sitting at Ford dealship and rescued her the next day. Thankfully I get to put up my own pictures of my dream car now.

I wouldn't sacrifice performance over condition. See if you can get into either the LT's or the LS's though. Lots of potential for both, but start as clean as your pocket will allow.

2002 CETA m6

Quote Originally Posted by Musclecargt71 View Post

haha i know this is a bit off topic, but it was always a wonder to me why they put the "iron duke" in these cars

literally took 20 secs to reach 60 mph

so in other words, stay away from the iron duke

Mustang killer

White/ Blue stripes
    1999 30th anniversary

Mine is the best

and NO you can't have it

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by Trans am Chick View Post
    Mine is the best

and NO you can't have it

lol can i have ur car?

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The black cars are definitely the fastest.
    +1 haha
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Everyone is different, my first car was a mid 12 second 79 malibu. My buddys second car which he bought when he was still 16 was a high 10 second motor only foxbody with a chevy 402 stroker in it.
    true, im still YOUNG obviously but i had a high 11 sec 74 firebird when i turned 16. thing was a beast, made a dumb mistake and sold it for a 96 lt1 6 speed trans am just cuz i wanted a newer one, but really didnt have the money to fix up the 74. BUT im super happy with what i got now and i got it when i was 17. and i dont abuse it

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

i'm in the same situation. i made a thread but no1 has really responded. i love and want an ls1, i've had lt1's and they were cool, but with a child and a growing desire to have a car i can work on and it be a little easier on my pockets now i wonder if i should go with a good 3rd gen and supe up. with the ls1's commanding more dollar than the lt1 and 3rd gens it's harder to build up the money to get one but damn they look good. i wonder if just getting something older and cheaper and using the extra cash to make it faster would be worth it. plus it would be a lil more special on the road vs the sea of ls1 cars. not trying to thread jack but i figured it would help both the op and me in the same situation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information