Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

What is the top speed of a stock 02 WS6?

This is a discussion on What is the top speed of a stock 02 WS6? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; kk, thx...

  1. #41
    ls1ftw tigersport14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,035

    NBM
    98 trans am

    kk, thx

  2. #42
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    ...I just don't think finding the actual top speed is that exciting. I prefer acceleration.
    may i suggest, in regards to you favoring acceleration vs. top speed, to see how fast it takes you to top out your car? hehe

    that's the best of both worlds

  3. #43
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    wouldn't the stock f-body rear end gears start to top off around 170ish anyways?
    not exactly. while you are thinking of part of the gearing issue, you have forgotten the gearing of 6th gear, which if I believe is .50. with having that tall of a gear even at those speeds, the RPM powerband is not there for the car to continue to accelerate due to the drag coefficient (sp) at that high of speed. people who swap to 3.73's or 4.11 make 6th gear more practical to use at high speeds since it helps to put 6th gear somewhat in the powerband to be usable in seeing what you can top your car out at. and yes at those speeds, the factory speedometer is far from accurate, you would need radar and or track timing to see what your true speed is.

  4. #44
    Junior Member WS.SICK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pomona California
    Age
    34
    Posts
    97

    Pewter
    2000 WS.6 T/A

    the top speed other than the cars that came with some sor tof H or S rated tires and the 110MPH speedo..... is 163 fuel cutoff is 163 done deal
    no more no less 163.. no if you remove the speed limiter.. who knows depends how much power you are making... but for factory cars its 163 fellas

  5. #45
    Junior Member logsws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    mass
    Age
    35
    Posts
    35

    artic white
    99 ws6 t/a

    i'm almost positive they stop a 163... if it stops at 120 range its because it didn't come with zr rated tires from the factory and i believe 118 is in v6 models

  6. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wilm. NC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    24

    Maroon
    95 Firebird

    So, we've established that there's a limit at about 160-168mphs on the f-body. Then some have asked "who needs to go that fast anyway?"
    Some have responded, "because we can."

    Ultimatly, I ask, "Why establish a limit at 165?"

    Is there any difference in splatter (in the event something goes wrong) between 165 and 200 mph?

    I doubt it. Who's lives are you saving by establishing a limit at 165? No ones.

    You know, highway speed limits were initally established out of gas consumption concerns. Back in the 50s cars didn't get the gas mileage they do today--especially while revved high on the highway. The fed. government set the limit at 55 because most cars were able to maintain a decent rpm at 55.

    Today we are in a very different situation. Cars are able to do 165 mph and get over 30mpg on the highway!! Plus, they are light years ahead with concern to safety--in the 50s they didnt even have seat belts!

    Personally, I think the speed limit is over rated and while our automobile manufactors have proven for nearly 30 years now that they can manufactor cars that can easily handle 100+ mph constant travel, we still restrict them.

    Just my $0.02.

    Justin
    Last edited by redwhiteandnew; 10-05-2006 at 09:33 AM. Reason: i cant spell.

  7. #47
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    actually it's just short of the speed of light... you will find when you hit 6th gear your mass will begin to grow infinitly, and time will slow to a crawl...

  8. #48
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    So far mine has gone 124 MPH.
    Per the state troopers gun.

  9. #49
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    when i had a LS1 in mine i did 140+ on the PA turnpike... i was to afraid to look down at my speedo at the time, and it was a damn good thing i didn't or i would have gone by the trooper at that speed.

    i was clocked @ 98.7 in a 55mph zone... he let me go with disobeying traffic signals and signs but where he pulled me over at was a construction zone and every thing got doubled...

    5 points on my licence and a near $400.00 fine...

    my anti lock breaks didn't do shit cause my wheels locked and i got squirlly as hell... i was in 5th gear at the time and stillpulling good...

    i wonder what my ls6 would do...

  10. #50
    Member lrader99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NW Georgia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    397

    flat black
    fastest ive had my car is well over 160 and i was just getting into 5th gear and still pulling like a mofo...gauge was tached out though so i dont know...plus the faster you go the less accurate the speedo actually is..theoritic top speed of 6 speed with 6th gear of .63:1 and a final drive of 3.73:1 is 227.81 MPH...that would be limited however by mechanical effeciency, practical efficiency, and the amount of power you could actually produce.
    the formula is
    (RPM / total final drive x rolling circumference of tire x 60(minutes))/5280(ft. per mile)

    -numbers are given for 6 speed cars only

    (7000/2.3499 x 6.73 x 60) / 5280 = 227.81

    a factory equipped car with 3.42 and a 25.7" tire(factory spec) has a theoritical top speed of 216.40
    (6000/2.1204 x 6.73 x 60) / 5280

  11. #51
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by lrader99 View Post
    fastest ive had my car is well over 160 and i was just getting into 5th gear and still pulling like a mofo...gauge was tached out though so i dont know...plus the faster you go the less accurate the speedo actually is..theoritic top speed of 6 speed with 6th gear of .63:1 and a final drive of 3.73:1 is 227.81 MPH...that would be limited however by mechanical effeciency, practical efficiency, and the amount of power you could actually produce.
    the formula is
    (RPM / total final drive x rolling circumference of tire x 60(minutes))/5280(ft. per mile)

    -numbers are given for 6 speed cars only

    (7000/2.3499 x 6.73 x 60) / 5280 = 227.81

    a factory equipped car with 3.42 and a 25.7" tire(factory spec) has a theoritical top speed of 216.40
    (6000/2.1204 x 6.73 x 60) / 5280
    cha it would be nice to hit 200..but with our 6th gear being so tall and out of the torque... we wont get there unless we beef up everything

  12. #52
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    cha it would be nice to hit 200..but with our 6th gear being so tall and out of the torque... we wont get there unless we beef up everything

    sure we can... we just need to be in a vaccum, with 0 friction...

  13. #53
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Spaz View Post
    sure we can... we just need to be in a vaccum, with 0 friction...
    lol well lucky for me i have one in my garage :P

  14. #54
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    lol well lucky for me i have one in my garage :P
    excellent!!! can me and my girl friend use your garage for like... an hour? i always wondered what it would be like to hump in 0 gravity!!!

  15. #55
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Spaz View Post
    excellent!!! can me and my girl friend use your garage for like... an hour? i always wondered what it would be like to hump in 0 gravity!!!
    lol geez spaz dont you see that people want to know the answer to the age old question that has been answered 100000 times....but no you can not use my garage,and if i had a vaccum i'd be all over it. anyways continue to talk about this subject

  16. #56
    M6 King Hot Black Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    5,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    cha it would be nice to hit 200..but with our 6th gear being so tall and out of the torque... we wont get there unless we beef up everything
    just use the jack stands.

  17. #57
    Member lrader99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NW Georgia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    397

    flat black
    holmes you cant use jackstands for humping geez

  18. #58
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandnew View Post
    So, we've established that there's a limit at about 160-168mphs on the f-body. Then some have asked "who needs to go that fast anyway?"
    Some have responded, "because we can."

    Ultimatly, I ask, "Why establish a limit at 165?"

    Is there any difference in splatter (in the event something goes wrong) between 165 and 200 mph?

    I doubt it. Who's lives are you saving by establishing a limit at 165? No ones.

    You know, highway speed limits were initally established out of gas consumption concerns. Back in the 50s cars didn't get the gas mileage they do today--especially while revved high on the highway. The fed. government set the limit at 55 because most cars were able to maintain a decent rpm at 55.

    Today we are in a very different situation. Cars are able to do 165 mph and get over 30mpg on the highway!! Plus, they are light years ahead with concern to safety--in the 50s they didnt even have seat belts!

    Personally, I think the speed limit is over rated and while our automobile manufactors have proven for nearly 30 years now that they can manufactor cars that can easily handle 100+ mph constant travel, we still restrict them.

    Just my $0.02.

    Justin
    well justin its federal law to govern cars to their TIRE RATING. its not that your going to splatter less..its becuase they know people will test it...so instead of letting tire blow out at 165...and kill everyone that ever tests the car out. they set the limit for tire rating, also concidering its very easy to set the gov. to 200+ ..so GM does it job and the rest is up to you.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

  19. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Loisiana
    Posts
    1
    My stock ass 03 gt does 162 on radar

  20. #60
    Junior Member OKSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    19

    BRR
    2002 SS LE

    LOL .. a 10 year old thread? nicely trolled ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. top speed for a stock 6 spd C5?
    By MachWon in forum Corvette
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM
  2. Stock 6 speed vs 550 RWHP
    By ss_caramo in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 07:58 AM
  3. Stock w/ 3400 stall converter VS stock 6 speed?????????
    By greatwhiteZ28 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 02:02 PM
  4. 0-255 stock M 6 speed
    By black monaro in forum GTO
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 08:06 PM
  5. Stock idle speed
    By IRACE2 in forum General Help
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 04:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •