Black
    97 Firebird

What should I do?

Well guys, I thought I'd ask you what you thought I should do. I currently have my 97 Bird which I love to death. This winter it's getting 3.73's and an LSD which should be enough to tuck it into the 13's here at 2200 FASL. Now here's the thing, I just talked to my friend who has an 81 Trans Am. Not only is this car in imaculate shape, but it has alot of sentimental value to me, as it was the very first Firebird I had ever really seen/driven in/fell in love with.

It was my buddies first car when he was 16, and he's owned it now for 7 years and has taken amazing care of the bird. It's silver with t-tops and on the shaker scoop it has an airbrushed chicken who looks like arnold schwartzenegger (sp?) that's holding a flame thrower. It looks amazing. The interior is in mint cond. and is dark blue. I'm a Firebird fanatic, and have always loved the 4th and 2nd gens best, (as I've owned 2 second gens before my 97). It has a 305 in it, which I much rather would've had a pontiac 400 under the hood, but it runs amazing, and sounds great. The exhaust he has on it sounds so beefy, not like open headers kinda insanely loud sound, but a very very deep agressive purrr to it (I'm not sure what brand mufflers he has). Other than that, the car is surprizingly quick, as I'm not sure if the 305 has had any kind of work done to it, or perhaps it's just the freeflowing exhaust and gears it has, but the car is definately quick for being an 81 305.

Anyways, he's had it sitting for awhile now, and now wants to get rid of it but can't find anyone to buy it (he's building a new house). He told me that if I wanted it 2 grand and it would be mine. Now 2 grand is a steal for the car with the condition it's in, but here's the question: would it be worth getting this car to only drive part time in the summer when I still have a little bit of work I'd like to do on my 97?

What do you guys think? How many of you have another bird besides your 4th gen? Do you think it's worth it if the car is only out on weekends/nice days? I'm strongly concidering it, but I do admit it would be weird parking 2 cars for winter. Let me know what you think! I'm having such a hard time deciding! Thanks!
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

If you have the money, like the car, and know its previous owner, i say go for it. Consider it an investment for when you have kids. I notice your only 22. Give it to your kid when he turns 16. Hell by then it'll be a classic muscle car and it will have 16 years worth of upgrades.

Just my .02

White
    2003 Ram 2500

sounds like ur in love with the car so buy it would u hate to see it in someone elses hands?

Black
    97 Firebird

Thanks for the imput guys. The only things that really make me hesitate are A) me and my girlfriend of 6 years just bought a place together that's going to be finished being built in April. And B) I want to be able to get the car and to finish my gears off in my 97 to push it into some great times that I know it's capable of.

I guess the main thing is balancing getting things for the new house and finishing my car, yet trying not to let this one slip away. I've been giving it alot of thought, and I'm thinking with some good planning I can make everything work out just fine, it'll just take me really sticking to a budget, but it would be better than letting the car go to waste now, and then me trying to get another 2nd gen car that won't quite be the same in a couple of years when I am finished modding my 97 and I'll pay an arm and a leg for it being as prices for the 2nd gens seem to keep going up and up and up.

Still a bit to consider, but if I plan I can probably make it work. Thanks for your comments!

Thread Information